Reasons why IUI fail :(

Hi everyone,
I had my 1st IUI on 14th FEB 2013 and got BFN.
Anybody know the reason why IUI is failed most of the time?
In my case thinking My follicle size was not mature 16.5 but according to my RE they will consider 16 as a mature for HCG trigger.

Below my details;
Me: 31(Lean PCOS coz of Little high testosterone),No tube blocked
DH:30 (sperm count very good)
IUI# 1
Gonal-f 75 Unit daily (13 days)
HCG Trigger when follicle size 16.5
IUI after 36 hours on 14th feb 2013

Probably for the same reason people fail when TTC naturally - not every egg is good, not every situation is right, not every implantation works, there are so many factors it’s hard to really account for all of it.

[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][FONT=‘Segoe UI Mono’][SIZE=3]I’m sorry to hear you received a BFN. IUI gives you a 20% chance of pregnancy. It’s the same percentage as timed intercourse. The only positive is the IUI places the sperm directly where it needs to be. Less swimming for the sperm. If your DH has good sperm IUI is not always necessary. You can always save money & proceed with timed intercourse instead. Unless it’s covered by insurance. We received two BFP’s with medicated / trigger / timed intercourse cycles; both we not happy endings. One resulted in a chemical and the other was an ectopic. Best wishes, hope your next cycle is SUCESSFUL! [/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Hey there,

I’m sorry that your IUI didn’t work. Unfortunately, like Poenym said, they don’t always work; there really are no good solid statistics for IUI success ratios, but supposedly they give a lot of infertile couples the same chance at pregnancy as most fertile couples, and that’s still really only about 20% per month (which is why there’s a recommended 6-12 month period of ‘really trying’ that people are supposed to go through before seeking medical intervention.)

It’s hard, I know, especially after all of the time and effort and money that go into these processes. It’s easy to get your hopes up, especially when there are (lots of!) people who manage to be successful the first time. All you are really left with is a lot of disappointment. But it’s not because you did something wrong, or because your doctor did something wrong, it just means that for whatever reason, that month’s combination of ingredients didn’t work together.

Thanks all for reply and support…
I am going to try IUI # 2 lets see :frowning:

[QUOTE=LookingGlass]Hey there,

I’m sorry that your IUI didn’t work. Unfortunately, like Poenym said, they don’t always work; there really are no good solid statistics for IUI success ratios, but supposedly they give a lot of infertile couples the same chance at pregnancy as most fertile couples, and that’s still really only about 20% per month (which is why there’s a recommended 6-12 month period of ‘really trying’ that people are supposed to go through before seeking medical intervention.)

It’s hard, I know, especially after all of the time and effort and money that go into these processes. It’s easy to get your hopes up, especially when there are (lots of!) people who manage to be successful the first time. All you are really left with is a lot of disappointment. But it’s not because you did something wrong, or because your doctor did something wrong, it just means that for whatever reason, that month’s combination of ingredients didn’t work together.[/QUOTE]

Hello LookingGlass,
I am also diagnosis with lean PCOS. I really dont know when i was 16 but after marriage when i did my blood test everything is normal except testosterone is slightly high and RE said you have PCOS.
I am TTC last 2 years and this is really hard time for me…please suggest something.
Hey are you located in NEW JERSEY ?

Unfortunately, PCOS is pretty common.

Take the time that you need to take for yourself, and then, if it’s in the cards, gear up to do it again. Sometimes it can take a couple of tries, and that can be pretty taxing - not just financially, but emotionally in particular. It’s hard to keep seeing this same failure over and over again, especially when there isn’t an obvious reason [I]why[/I] it doesn’t seem to work (at least for us; it seems like nobody else on the planet has this problem, right?) When you’re ready, try again.

I’m not in New Jersey, I’m up in New York.

[QUOTE=LookingGlass]Unfortunately, PCOS is pretty common.

Take the time that you need to take for yourself, and then, if it’s in the cards, gear up to do it again. Sometimes it can take a couple of tries, and that can be pretty taxing - not just financially, but emotionally in particular. It’s hard to keep seeing this same failure over and over again, especially when there isn’t an obvious reason [I]why[/I] it doesn’t seem to work (at least for us; it seems like nobody else on the planet has this problem, right?) When you’re ready, try again.

I’m not in New Jersey, I’m up in New York.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for kind message …I am in Paramus NJ.
Do you know any good RE in NJ (if your friend had treatment) ?
I like my RE but some time i have a doubt on him.I dont know why :frowning:
My Current RE treated me last 6-7 Months and now i want to change but My husband said if you change new RE at this time than again you will start everything from scratch (all blood test,HSG etc)…I am really confused ,what should i do now ? please share your advice.
Thanks

I know it sucks, huh? :frowning: But like everyone said, its only 20% chance of it working each month. Hang in there. :grouphug:

[QUOTE=sami388]Thanks for kind message …I am in Paramus NJ.
Do you know any good RE in NJ (if your friend had treatment) ?
I like my RE but some time i have a doubt on him.I dont know why :frowning:
My Current RE treated me last 6-7 Months and now i want to change but My husband said if you change new RE at this time than again you will start everything from scratch (all blood test,HSG etc)…I am really confused ,what should i do now ? please share your advice.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Sometimes switching can be a good thing as the new RE may pick up on something that the old one didn’t. Also, I feel strongly that if you don’t feel certain about your RE for whatever reason–if you have trouble trusting them then maybe there is an instinct there that you shouldn’t ignore and you should go seek a new RE you feel more comfortable with. The relationship is very important especially given the money, time, and emotion you put in.

I say this because I spent WAY too long with my OB/Gyn for the same reasons (didn’t want to start over), but I had an instinct that he wasn’t my best bet and I was right as all I did was spin my wheels with him. Then I found out three years later that he didn’t even bother to charge my insurance company or me until three years after my treatments so while my insurance would have paid for 100% of those costs (since they were just diagnostic and meds with Timed intercourse) the time had passed and now they won’t cover any of it. I am very upset about it because now they want me to pay it and since it took them three years to even notify me of the costs I cannot charge my insurance either and I never expected a bill since I knew my insurance coverage was 100%. I have no intention to pay them due to their failure to timely charge me or my insurance, but the point is I knew something wasn’t right and stayed anyway. A mistake I will never repeat again and hope no one else does either!!

Finally in switching to an RE he was able to find things missed by my OB/Gyn despite them also being taken by him too. Then we moved and I had to switch RE’s and again my new RE found yet another problem missed even by my first RE so…it really can work in your favor to have fresh eyes on your situation and to seek a new RE when you don’t feel quite right about the one you have.

Good Luck! :grouphug:

[QUOTE=ahhny]Sometimes switching can be a good thing as the new RE may pick up on something that the old one didn’t. Also, I feel strongly that if you don’t feel certain about your RE for whatever reason–if you have trouble trusting them then maybe there is an instinct there that you shouldn’t ignore and you should go seek a new RE you feel more comfortable with. The relationship is very important especially given the money, time, and emotion you put in.

I say this because I spent WAY too long with my OB/Gyn for the same reasons (didn’t want to start over), but I had an instinct that he wasn’t my best bet and I was right as all I did was spin my wheels with him. Then I found out three years later that he didn’t even bother to charge my insurance company or me until three years after my treatments so while my insurance would have paid for 100% of those costs (since they were just diagnostic and meds with Timed intercourse) the time had passed and now they won’t cover any of it. I am very upset about it because now they want me to pay it and since it took them three years to even notify me of the costs I cannot charge my insurance either and I never expected a bill since I knew my insurance coverage was 100%. I have no intention to pay them due to their failure to timely charge me or my insurance, but the point is I knew something wasn’t right and stayed anyway. A mistake I will never repeat again and hope no one else does either!!

Finally in switching to an RE he was able to find things missed by my OB/Gyn despite them also being taken by him too. Then we moved and I had to switch RE’s and again my new RE found yet another problem missed even by my first RE so…it really can work in your favor to have fresh eyes on your situation and to seek a new RE when you don’t feel quite right about the one you have.

Good Luck! :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

I have doubt on my RE because they consider 16 is a mature follicle size and when my follicle was 16.5 he said take HCG trigger tonight while i search on google many gals said 18-20 is mature according to her RE…

[QUOTE=NurseNancy]I know it sucks, huh? :frowning: But like everyone said, its only 20% chance of it working each month. Hang in there. :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

I have doubt on my RE because they consider 16 is a mature follicle size and when my follicle was 16.5 he said take HCG trigger tonight while i search on google many gals said 18-20 is mature according to her RE…
Could you tell me what was your follicle size when u got BFP?

[QUOTE=sami388]I have doubt on my RE because they consider 16 is a mature follicle size and when my follicle was 16.5 he said take HCG trigger tonight while i search on google many gals said 18-20 is mature according to her RE…[/QUOTE]

It will still grow, it grows an average of 2mm a day…so once you have your trigger shot your IUI is 36 hours later, so it would have grown another 2mm at the very least. Ladies, correct me if I’m wrong but that’s what my doc told me.

[QUOTE=StillLovenLife]It will still grow, it grows an average of 2mm a day…so once you have your trigger shot your IUI is 36 hours later, so it would have grown another 2mm at the very least. Ladies, correct me if I’m wrong but that’s what my doc told me.[/QUOTE]

In my case i was on Gonal-f 75 unit and whenever i went for ultrasound my follicle size grows 1mm a days.
Well this time i will ask RE about all these things.LETS SEE

[QUOTE=sami388]In my case i was on Gonal-f 75 unit and whenever i went for ultrasound my follicle size grows 1mm a days.
Well this time i will ask RE about all these things.LETS SEE[/QUOTE]

Everyone is different, you can be totally right. I just wanted to let you know what our doc said. My folly was 16mm too…so I’m just hoping it grew to 18+ when they did the IUI. We did the trigger on Friday night and went in on Sunday morning. It’s tough! You wanna feel they know what they are doing :slight_smile: its all about trust.

[QUOTE=StillLovenLife]Everyone is different, you can be totally right. I just wanted to let you know what our doc said. My folly was 16mm too…so I’m just hoping it grew to 18+ when they did the IUI. We did the trigger on Friday night and went in on Sunday morning. It’s tough! You wanna feel they know what they are doing :slight_smile: its all about trust.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are right .I am always think negative because of hard time.
My husband always said Trust on Doctor because we don’t have any choice.

Thanks again
and lots of baby dust to u

[QUOTE=sami388]Yes you are right .I am always think negative because of hard time.
My husband always said Trust on Doctor because we don’t have any choice.

Thanks again
and lots of baby dust to u[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend was upset at me too because she said “you are always negative, think positive thoughts!” I think we do think negative thoughts because we’ve been through “oh…maybe this month” to be disappointed again. We put up a wall to protect ourselves.
Good luck to you too :slight_smile: