Refund Programs

I thought I had found a great clinic with low costs and based on how their website made it sound I thought the refund program was included in the price of IVF because they said you only have to pay per cycle with the refund program and not for multiple cycles. Well now after talking to their financial advisor I am learning that you have to basically pay around $5,000 extra up front just to join the refund program. Cycles beyond the first one are at a lower rate but after you combine the lower rate with the refund program charge it adds up to the same as paying full price for an entire second fresh IVF. And what if I would have had FET option or only needed 1 Fresh cycle to get a BFP. Ok I know its a gamble these refund programs and you either benefit from it in the end or you don’t.

Ok my concerns are… that if I don’t join the refund program I feel like the doctor might not try as hard to make my first cycle a success therefor causing me to have to pay for multi cycles and make them more money. But If I pay more for the refund program up front obviously the doctors make more if I get a BFP the first time so would they than try harder to make it happen the first time. Am I crazy to feel suspicious like this? I am 30 years old with normal cycles and I believe high fertility. We have 2 children conceive first attempt. The only reason we are needing IVF is due to a vasectomy blocking sperm release. Would a refund program be a waste of money for someone like me?

[quote=NicoleJean]I thought I had found a great clinic with low costs and based on how their website made it sound I thought the refund program was included in the price of IVF because they said you only have to pay per cycle with the refund program and not for multiple cycles. Well now after talking to their financial advisor I am learning that you have to basically pay around $5,000 extra up front just to join the refund program. Cycles beyond the first one are at a lower rate but after you combine the lower rate with the refund program charge it adds up to the same as paying full price for an entire second fresh IVF. And what if I would have had FET option or only needed 1 Fresh cycle to get a BFP. Ok I know its a gamble these refund programs and you either benefit from it in the end or you don’t.

Ok my concerns are… [B]that if I don’t join the refund program I feel like the doctor might not try as hard to make my first cycle a success[/B] therefor causing me to have to pay for multi cycles and make them more money. But If I pay more for the refund program up front obviously the doctors make more if I get a BFP the first time so would they than try harder to make it happen the first time. Am I crazy to feel suspicious like this? I am 30 years old with normal cycles and I believe high fertility. We have 2 children conceive first attempt. The only reason we are needing IVF is due to a vasectomy blocking sperm release. Would a refund program be a waste of money for someone like me?[/quote]

1st of all…I’d rather have a doctor I feel confident in than one that I think might not try as hard to get more money out of me. Regardless of the costs.

Secondly - This is going to be all based on my experience and my very similar situation.
Having no idea where you are in your journey, I want to first suggest your DH goes to a urologist, gets all checked out and has his retrieval done to freeze the swimmers. Do that before you get to deep into worrying about costs etc. And this is why…
Background - When my husband and I first started looking into having a baby I was 30 with zero fertility issues, he was 41 with 3 children from a previous marriage and a vasectomy. His history lead us to believe he had zero fertility issues.
We went back and forth weighing everything about doing a reversal & trying naturally then maybe having a vasectomy again later on or doing a retrieval and trying IVF. We opted for the IVF, seemed easiest and cheapest in the long run.
So I went through all my required testing, despite knowing I had no issues this was required by my RE and seems to be pretty standard. My DH saw a urologist a few times, discussed what we wanted and made an appt for a retrieval. That procedure came and I was there in the room. The Dr went in at the site of one vas blockage and took a sample, looked really quickly under a microscope and found zero sperm. So he tried the other side, zero sperm. Then he took a tissue sample from DHs testicles (basically the site of the "swimmer factories) and said don’t worry there will be millions in here. There were none. His body had shut down production of sperm. Follow up blood tests showed that it wasn’t going to change, he no longer produced. This is rare but it does happen.
This was supposed to be a quick procedure to get us on our way to having our own baby(ies) through IVF, something we figured was a given, with my history. But instead it lead to a huge heartache and a long road to figuring things out in a completely different way.
So I would start with DH’s sperm retreival. When you get some, it can be frozen and there is nothing wrong with frozen swimmers. Especially with IVF/ICSI where they take one (the best one they see) and inject it into the egg.

Now assuming you’ve already looked into that, or care of my opinion on that LOL, on to your refund program question.
If it were me, I would go with the one fresh cycle not the refund program. My ivf worked on the first time, and my 1st and only transfer was a frozen one. Plus I still have 3 frozen embies for the furture. Obviously you never know but chances are pretty good that for you, you’ll only need on egg retrieval and from that you’ll get plenty of embryos to transfer.

Good luck with everything!

[quote=NicoleJean]I thought I had found a great clinic with low costs and based on how their website made it sound I thought the refund program was included in the price of IVF because they said you only have to pay per cycle with the refund program and not for multiple cycles. Well now after talking to their financial advisor I am learning that you have to basically pay around $5,000 extra up front just to join the refund program. Cycles beyond the first one are at a lower rate but after you combine the lower rate with the refund program charge it adds up to the same as paying full price for an entire second fresh IVF. And what if I would have had FET option or only needed 1 Fresh cycle to get a BFP. Ok I know its a gamble these refund programs and you either benefit from it in the end or you don’t.

Ok my concerns are… that if I don’t join the refund program I feel like the doctor might not try as hard to make my first cycle a success therefor causing me to have to pay for multi cycles and make them more money. But If I pay more for the refund program up front obviously the doctors make more if I get a BFP the first time so would they than try harder to make it happen the first time. Am I crazy to feel suspicious like this? I am 30 years old with normal cycles and I believe high fertility. We have 2 children conceive first attempt. The only reason we are needing IVF is due to a vasectomy blocking sperm release. Would a refund program be a waste of money for someone like me?[/quote]

I don’t think I would do the refund program if I were you. It sounds like you are a great candidate for IVF, so the one who is going to benefit is the person you are paying extra money for the program.

I joined a shared risk program my first time around, IntegraMed.After I did not do well the first cycle, they kicked me out of the program and only refunded what I would have ended up paying to the clinic anyway. People just don’t realize this is in the contract. So, they get a lot of money if someone gets pregnant the first time around, and if not, they kick you out (there loss b/c I had success the next time).

Your refund program may not be like IntegraMed, but I would make extra sure you read any fine print.

No, I absolutely don’t think the doctor would treat you differently if you are part or not part of a refund program. The doctor may not even know.