Removal of tube?

what does the removal of a tube enatail? how long do you stay in hosspital? how long do you have to wait until doing ivf? is it painful?

[QUOTE=lbzg]what does the removal of a tube enatail? how long do you stay in hosspital? how long do you have to wait until doing ivf? is it painful?[/QUOTE]

I had mine removed laparascopically (small belly incisions). Wasn’t that bad to be honest.

As for recovery, it is pretty easy if you don’t have it done via laparotomy (open incision/bikini line).

If done the way I had mine, it is usually either a 24 hour stay or outpatient if no complications. (I have anesthesia issues, so mine is always inpatient)

If the other way, it’s about a 3-5 day stay.

Good luck!
:flower:

Same here. Mine was emergency surgery due to an ectopic that ruptured. But I still had the laparascopic surgery. I was in around 10am and out by 4 I think. The worst part for me recovery wise (other than the emotional part of the ectopic and loss) was the shoulder pain. For laparascopic surgery they fill your abdomen with Co2 and when they are done the gas has no where to go to get out so it rises (thanks gravity) into your shoulders where it stays until it is absorbed and processed by the body. and **** that hurts! I think it was a good 3-4 days before that stopped. But again that was all at home.

As far as IVF goes, you shouldn’t have to wait long, assuming they do a similar surgery. My RE was talking IVF as soon as we had our follow up appt with him. So I’m guessing no more than one cycle.

Good luck!

I had both removed laparoscopically in sept 12, my re said theoretically I could cycle the next month if there were no complications. I took a week off, but after the first 3 days o shoulder and neck pain I was fine. I didn’t cycle until the following January.

I also had my bilateral salpingectomy done laprascopically. It was an outpatient procedure and I did not have any pain at all.

This is all pretty good information so far. One of my wife’s tubes was removed and it wasn’t like, say, taking out a kidney or anything. It’s interesting to note that, in some cases, removing a tube can actually improve your odds of IVF in a few ways.