Rice cereal in bottles?

When did you add rice cereal to bottles? why? and any negaitve side effects?

What is the reason for wanting to add it to the bottle?

Most recommendations are for cereal on a spoon at 4 months…cereal isn’t meant to “fill them up” its more to teach them how to use a spoon for swallowing solid foods.
But…it is each parents choice when and how to introduce solids…

She is always hungry before 3hrs is up for her next bottle. I am not opposed to feeding her sooner.
She was 9lbs8oz at birth, at 2 months 12lbs13oz, and currently 3 months. I am betting she is about 14lbs now.
I give her 4oz every 3 to 4 hrs. I try to give her 5oz but sometimes she spits up, which isnt normal for her. But she cries when I wipe her mouth after she finishes a bottle. Like shes still hungry, but I know her belly cant take much more fluids.
I dont wanna do it to make her sleep thru the night cause she sleeps 10pm to about 6am. So I am good in that department.
I also am thinking I might give her the cereal with a spoon, just the first and last feeding of the day, to help keep her satisfied.
She does good when I give her some juice from a straw…you know where you hold the tip and let the juice drop in her mouth.

we were always discouraged from adding cereal to bottles, tho i know it was common practice in the previous generation.

my feeling is the bottle is only for milk. food goes in spoons and water/juice goes in cups.

what does her doc recommend to keep up with her appetite?

My little guy never ate more than 4 oz at a time and was always eating at about 2.5-3 hours. As for starting her on cereal, check to see if she has an interest in the spoon when you are eating, can she sit with support in her high chair(some people just put them in their bouncer seats)? If so you can try very runny cereal with a spoon. If it doesn’t go well you know it was too early and try again in a week or two. Since she can swallow from the straw she may be able to swallow runny cereal :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=JMiller10]She is always hungry before 3hrs is up for her next bottle. I am not opposed to feeding her sooner.
She was 9lbs8oz at birth, at 2 months 12lbs13oz, and currently 3 months. I am betting she is about 14lbs now.
I give her 4oz every 3 to 4 hrs. I try to give her 5oz but sometimes she spits up, which isnt normal for her. But she cries when I wipe her mouth after she finishes a bottle. Like shes still hungry, but I know her belly cant take much more fluids.
I dont wanna do it to make her sleep thru the night cause she sleeps 10pm to about 6am. So I am good in that department.
I also am thinking I might give her the cereal with a spoon, just the first and last feeding of the day, to help keep her satisfied.
She does good when I give her some juice from a straw…you know where you hold the tip and let the juice drop in her mouth.[/QUOTE]

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against putting rice cereal in bottles (unless your baby has severe reflux) because it could be a choking hazard. You could call your pediatrician’s office and speak to the nurse about the matter if you don’t want to wait until your daughter’s next scheduled apt.

If your child gets hungry prior to her next feeding, it’s probably best to feed her more often. I had to do that with DS. He was on a 3-hr schedule to start but often needed to be fed much sooner.

She could just be going through a growth spurt and needing a little extra right now. Don’t worry about when others are telling you to feed her or how much to feed her. If she’s hungry, give her what she wants. Three months sounds about right for a growth spurt. I know I had to increase the frequency I was feeding my DD a while back to about 2.5-3 hours. It only lasted about a week, and then she went back to going 3.5-4 hours between 4oz bottles.

In regards to your cereal question, DS had reflux and we had to add cereal to his bottles. It’s been almost 4 years, but to the best of my memory, I think we added one scoop of cereal for every 2oz of formula. He had no problems with it at all. His weight was always in the 50th %ile, so it didn’t make him obese, and he never had any choking issues. You’ll need to get a nipple with a Y opening. Some brands call this Variable Flow, I believe.

Another issue that may be of concern with adding the rice cereal can be constipation. It was never an issue with DS, as he always pooped at least twice a day. DD just turned 4 months yesterday has been having issues with constipation. When I spoke with the pediatrician at her check-up yesterday, I was told we could start her on solids, but to avoid rice cereal. She told us to start with prunes, pears, and peaches to get her going, and then to eventually add oatmeal to the mix, but to forget the rice cereal.

Every baby is different, and what works for one isn’t necessarily what works for another. As her mother, you probably have the best idea what she needs. Don’t get so hung up on what others tell you to do. Listen to the pediatrician’s recommendations, and use your best judgment. If your pediatrician doesn’t make you feel comfortable in trusting yourself, maybe you need to find a new pediatrician. I’m not saying to keep visiting doctors until you find one that will agree with whatever you say, but I think a good doctor will make you feel confident in your own abilities. My children’s pediatrician has always been very good about this. The worst thing I did as a parent was getting stuck on thinking I had to do what the nurses at the hospital told me I had to do in regards to feeding DD no sooner than every 3 hours. The first 2 weeks home with her were miserable, until I visited our normal pediatrician and she told me to feed DD when she seemed hungry. Since then, she’s been a healthy, happy baby, and she eventually got on a schedule that was good for her. Except when going through a growth spurt :wink: .

Good luck.