Scared of Gonal F Side Effects - Starting Injectables Tonight! - Need Moral Support

Hi Everyone,

So…I am starting Gonal F injectable treatments tonight (with a planned IUI in a couple of weeks). I am so nervous about all of the side effects. Also, in my case, I have unexplained infertility, which also increases my risk of hyperstimulation. My dr is staring me on a low dose to be conservative - 75mg and wants to see me back in 3 days (taking the shot Monday night and going back in on Thurs AM for monitoring).

Did anyone have any side effects with Gonal F? Shortness of breath, severe swelling/bloating or other serious side effects? I am so nervous…

I have had 4 unsuccessful IUI attempts and I’m 38 - I have been trying to conceive for 18 months - I really should have started seeing a fertility doc sooner. This is the first time I am getting really emotional about the whole thing. I just never thought I would be going through this…It’s devastating, but I’m trying to be optimistic. Just hard sometimes…

Thanks for the moral support!! Good luck to all of you in the same boat…

Pregonow - I am sorry you are going through a hard time right now. Going through infertility[I] is[/I] devastating and it sucks. Allow yourself to feel those things. As for Gonal F. I did not do it for IUI’s but have done it with the multi IVF’s I have done and at a higher dose than you are at and never had a problem. You probably will get bloated but that seems par for the course with any fertility treatment. I think you should be ok with that low of a dose and because you aren’t adding other stuff to the mix as with IVF. I don’t think having unexplained infertility increases your chances for hyperstimulation, well, at least I have never heard that from a dr. Also, they watch you much closer with injectibles than they do with oral meds so they would probably be able to catch it before hyperstim.

Did you do natural IUI or did you do Clomid or Femara with them?

Good luck and hang in there!

I used Gonal-f for my IVF and didn’t have a problem. The worst that happened was that when we did it on my left side I got a little rash. It went away in about half hour and didn’t really bother me.

Good luck!

First of all, I’ve never met anyone going through fertility treatments who didn’t wish they had started sooner. Please don’t beat yourself up with regret.

I just finished day 6 of 150 mg each of Gonal-F injections yesterday, ovidrel tonight and have IUIs tomorrow & Saturday. In the past I have done 4 days and taken Clomid or Femara first.

Personally, I had much worse side effects from the Femara- it set me on edge.

Gonal-F side effects: some bloating, tiredness, and I’m more emotional. Although being aware that you are pumped full of hormones & therefore will be more emotional is a good realization. When I teared up talking about the weight loss success of Subway’s Jared, I could laugh at myself for my overreaction!

For me the worst part was learning to administer the shot myself. My husband travels out of state frequently. Stabbing yourself with a needle will most likely go against your natural instincts! If you go straight at a 90 degree angle and pretty quickly it helps to lesson any discomfort. Also, remember to rotate sides & location of the injection site.

bravelle/follistim/gonalf injections i’ve noticed have much less side effects than clomid does. i had a little bloating, but really that’s it. none of the hot flashes, mood swings, depression, weight gain that clomid caused me.

I used 187.5IU a day of gonal F along with 3 vials of menopur for my IVF and had no problem. I had some mild heartburn, but that was about it.

Well I did get some tenderness that goes along with the big ovaries from the plump follicles, but I was also doing an IVF rather than an IUI so we were looking for lot of mature follicles. SO you may feel some twinges, pulling, and mild bloating, and mild tenderness but it shouldn’t be anything major.

Good Luck with your IUI cycle!! :flower:

:cross: the gonal F goes the trick for you and you get your BFP this time!! :babydust: :babydust:

Hi ladies! I may have to start injections next cycle, I’ve been doing some online research but still have a few questions - when do you start taking them (on which cycle day?) and for how many days? Does anyone know what the chance of multiples is with injections?

I can’t remember the exact day, but I think you start around day 2 or 3. The number of days depends on your dosage and response. You will likely be monitored closely with bloodwork and ultrasounds. They’ll see how your follicles are developing and check your estrogen levels to determine how many are maturing. You may have to go in for several days, depending on your response.

Thanks becca1119! I see from your signature that you didn’t ovulate on Clomid either. Did your doctors ever tell you why it didn’t work for you? I’m assuming it has something to do with my FSH levels and having PCOS.

Ellejay, my clinic always starts stims on day 3 (unless there’s an extreme reason to miss that appointment…I think I started on day 4 once). Some women stim slower than others. I am one of them, and often wouldn’t take the trigger shot until day 18 or 19 in my cycle. Most women trigger around day 14. Usually, there are 3-4 ultrasounds in between to check on your follicular growth.

As for multiples, it depends on how many follicles grow and what size they are upon trigger. I had a hard time stimming appropriately…at a low dose, nothing happened. At a higher dose, 7 or 8 would all grow at the same rate. If they cut the meds back to decrease the chance for multiples, the eggs would all stop growing and my estrogen would drop and we’d lose the cycle. We eventually moved on to IVF which was perfect for us because they like a bunch of eggs all the same size.

That being said, we conceived baby #1 on timed intercourse and injections alone. On that cycle, we managed to get one good egg and all went great from there!

Best wishes…I have a friend that did IUI and Clomid 5 times to no avail, and switching to injections was her “magic bullet.” She is now 13 weeks along :slight_smile:

[quote=Francesca13]Ellejay, my clinic always starts stims on day 3 (unless there’s an extreme reason to miss that appointment…I think I started on day 4 once). Some women stim slower than others. I am one of them, and often wouldn’t take the trigger shot until day 18 or 19 in my cycle. Most women trigger around day 14. Usually, there are 3-4 ultrasounds in between to check on your follicular growth.

As for multiples, it depends on how many follicles grow and what size they are upon trigger. I had a hard time stimming appropriately…at a low dose, nothing happened. At a higher dose, 7 or 8 would all grow at the same rate. If they cut the meds back to decrease the chance for multiples, the eggs would all stop growing and my estrogen would drop and we’d lose the cycle. We eventually moved on to IVF which was perfect for us because they like a bunch of eggs all the same size.

That being said, we conceived baby #1 on timed intercourse and injections alone. On that cycle, we managed to get one good egg and all went great from there!

Best wishes…I have a friend that did IUI and Clomid 5 times to no avail, and switching to injections was her “magic bullet.” She is now 13 weeks along :)[/quote]

Thanks Francesca13! That makes sense! In my experience, I’ve always been told that Clomid is the magic pill and I was surprised that it didn’t work the first month and the fact that I’m on CD 18 with no signs of ovulation yet at 100mg of Clomid…I feel let down :frowning: It’s good to know that there are still so many options for us. I’m anxious to find out more!

[quote=ElleJay]Thanks becca1119! I see from your signature that you didn’t ovulate on Clomid either. Did your doctors ever tell you why it didn’t work for you? I’m assuming it has something to do with my FSH levels and having PCOS.[/quote]They never said anything to me about the FSH levels. I assume it’s the PCOS and my stubborn system. The injectibles worked like a charm. I have a ton of potential follies, so they had to start me at a low dose to avoid overstimulation, and then they gradually increased.

What CD did you typically ovulate on with injections?

i think i stimmed for two weeks, roughly, triggered around day 17, and ovulated around day 19, when i had the iui. but like i said, i was a slow responder because i had to take a very low dose initially to avoid overstimulation.

Hi there,

I’m currently on a Bravelle/Menopur/Lupron protocol (called Lupron Flare 4), and I take 150U of Bravelle/Menopur daily (twice daily injections) from day 2 to approx day 13. Lupron is nightly only during this time.

Only side effects really were tender abdomen from becoming a pin cushion, and sore bbs.

Hang in there, as the injectables become literally second nature. :slight_smile: