Seeking Information After Miscarriage

Hello! I am new to this website, and fairly new to the miscarriage community. My husband and I recently lost our first baby to a missed miscarriage. I was 11 weeks but only measuring 8, with no heartbeat. We are both truly devastated by this, and it was not until this point that I realized just how much women go through to conceive. The biggest issue I am having is that I just do not have the proper information to know what to do at this point. My doc had the tissue sample tested after my d&c and said there were “no issues with the sample.” He said it was possibly hormonal and that, as soon as I find out I am pregnant again, I should begin taking progesterone. I probably should have asked more questions, but my brain was not fully functional at that point. After doing some research on my own, I am completely confused as to whether or not progesterone should be started AFTER I become pregnant, or before. Also, is it considered a “good thing” that they didn’t find anything wrong with the fetal tissue? To me, that just meant more unanswered questions.

I want to thank you for reading this, and I am truly sorry to meet everyone under these circumstances, as I see that there are so many out there struggling with issues I am just becoming aware of. My heart is with all of you during this time, and I hope we can all share success stories one day as well!

I don’t have any knowledge to provide on progesterone, but I needed to post to let you know I’m so sorry for your loss. I had a similar loss and I know it was shocking and so very difficult to me. I thought back then that pregnancy = baby. My innocence was lost.

Be good to yourself during this difficult time. I hope you soon have success.

I really appreciate the response. I am also very sorry for your loss. Reading what others have written just makes me feel not so alone in all this, although it is weird to feel glad to be understood, but then terrible that there are others going through the same thing.

That’s ok about not having the info. I still really appreciate the response. I will send good luck and prayers your way!

I’m afraid I’m not an expret as we’ve had more problems getting pregnant than staying, but first of all, I’m very sorry for your loss :grouphug: .

I’m pretty confident that the progesterone should be started as soon after fertilization as possible. With IUIs they usually have you start it the day after the insemination. With IVF you start it the day or two after egg retrieval. The progesterone is the hormone made by the cells surrouding your eggs in the ovaries that supports pregnancy until the placent takes over production somewhere in the mid to late first trimester. When progesterone levels fall, it’s your body’s trigger to shed the uterine lining, that you’re not pregnant.

One question I have about your doctor’s advice is that if you made it until 11 weeks and your embryo made it until 8 or so, is progesterone really the most likely problem? I’d think that decreased progesterone would be more of a problem in earlier pregnancy. Again, I’m just speculating, but maybe other responders can add something to that. Having said that, progesterone supplementation couldn’t hurt. I’d bet they’d want you to start it as soon as you got a positive pregnancy test if you’re ttc naturally.

Are you seeing an OB or a RE? REs are more specialized. If you’ve had no other problems, like with getting pregnant, and this is your first m/c, you may not need an RE yet, but they may be able to give you more answers.

As for the tissue being chromasomally normal, I think you can look at it as good or bad. Like our trouble getting pregnant is pretty much unexplained - while it’s good to know everything is working, having some sort of explanation would at least give us an answer. In your case, having a chromosomal abnormality may give you the answer that you need, but it can also raise the question of whether you or your SO may have a chromosomal abnormality that wouldn’t affect you but would make conceiving a chromosomally normal child difficult or impossible. So in a way, this embryo being normal means that your SO and you CAN conceive normally. It’s probably small comfort right now, I know…

I hope you have better outcomes in the future!

:babydust: :babydust: ,
Heather

I am sorry for your loss. The questions will never stop, but you will never know what caused your loss. Do you have infertility issues? If you do you could be tested for some blood clotting issues that can cause miscarriage, but you will not know for sure.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but its truthful. I lost my last child at 9 weeks 6 days and I was on all the right meds, I don’t understand why, but it happened. We will never know “why” this baby stopped growing. I of course play over the day it would have happened over and over again.

When you get pregnant again :babydust: call you doc for a blood test to see what your progesterone level is. You shouldn’t need to be on it before.

Best of luck and sorry that you have to go through this, it so unfair and the unanswered questions lead to lack of closure.

Thanks for the info and support. Again, I am always sorry to hear that there are others going through the same thing, but really appreciate the support.

I think the progesterone suggestion was more a shot in the dark, since the tissue sample was normal. They also checked my thyroid and no issues, so I think the doc really doesn’t know what the problem is. Since it was my first miscarriage, it does not seem like docs get very concerned with it. Not that my OB is brushing me off, it just seems like docs are not so concerned with a first time m/c (which is too bad, since it seems like often there are problems that are controllable if only the tests were offered in the first place!). I have not seen an RE, this was our first try naturally, so I am hoping and praying that it does not happen again (as we all are on here). All I know is that I want to be armed with all the info possible so that I know I am doing everything in my power to have a healthy baby.

To test for a blot clot issue, is it just a blood test? Again, m/c is new to me and I am doing my best to get all the info I can, but it is just so overwhelming to search for answers, while at the same time trying to deal with all this grief and sadness that I feel.

Thoughts and prayers to all! :cross: