Sept 2015 IUI Cycle Buddies

Today I will be scheduling my third IUI for Aug 30. I’m feeling good about this cycle. I hope that anyone doing treatment this month will share their experiences with us. Good luck and baby dust!

oh that is exciting that you will be doing aug 30th :slight_smile: i am so happy you have a date now :slight_smile:

I’m so nervous all over again. I was hoping by this time it’d be like a walk in the park. LOL. Third time’s a charm :wink:

Hi Ladies! We’ll finally be doing our first IUI TTC baby #2 in mid September! The plan was to do one this month but my AF stalled and my ovulation landed smack dab in the middle of our camping trip so we decided to hold off one more month. I should get my AF on the 29th or 30th and then I’ll have my IUI the day after a +OPK(smiley face) which usually happens between CD 15 and CD 19. I’ll be taking 5mgs of Femara so I’m not sure if that will make me ovulate any sooner than normal or not. Anyways I’m really excited to finally be TTC again soon! Good luck to you Christine! I really hope that this is your lucky cycle! We’re hoping to have success within 3-4 cycles. It would be great if that many weren’t needed though. :slight_smile:

rach007: I see in your signature that you’re pregnant! Congrats! How is your pregnancy going?

Hi there!

I’m also stepping back into the ring after an extended absence, as it were, looking to try for Baby #2 (and/or #3, I guess.) Our problem is largely me: I have PCOS and it certainly did not magically fix itself after the first one. I called my RE back in April, discovered he wouldn’t be in the office until June, had to repeat all of my testing in July because we switched insurance carriers and am now sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting for CD1 to show. I’m guessing that’ll be in September, so I’m looking at a September IUI. These boards were amazingly helpful and supportive last go round and I’m really glad that they’re back, if somewhat diminished and quiet.

I’m super glad there’s at least a few of you gearing up to do this at the same time! I look forward to spending at least the next month or so in a thread with y’all.

Rach007: I don’t know if you remember me but we cycled together a couple of times in past years. I’m super excited about your successes!

I’m excited that there are a few of us going through this together! It definitely makes the process easier. I got a call from my RE’s office and we have to skip this cycle. Turns out he will be out of the office on ovulation day BUT that means I can really enjoy my vacation coming up in a couple weeks and still get an IUI in by the end of the month!

I hate to be such a downer, but I have to get this off my chest. I’m experiencing some severe jealous/anger towards a woman I once worked with. I was her boss until one day she was promoted above me and then promoted again a year ago. She’s always gotten what I’ve been working for before I could get there. Now she’s announced she’s pregnant.
Do any of you have ways of dealing with the tough times TTC? Usually if I let myself cry it out, I’ll be ok for a while, but this is going to be hard because of my history with her. Ugh!

Hope you all are doing well! Looking forward to some more BFPs this month. Good luck ladies!!

Christine,
I’m sorry that I’m just now responding. I need to remember to check this thread more often. I’m sorry about the woman at work that announced her pregnancy. That has to suck! I remember going through jealousy issues back before conceiving our daughter. It took us 6 years of off and on surgeries and fertility treatments to get her. I remember having to go in the bathroom a few times to have a cry when someone from work announced their pregnancy or birth of their baby. I was happy for them but I also just couldn’t help the feeling of being sad too. It wasn’t something that I could control. It has to be harder for you because of the situation with your co-worker though. I hope that you don’t have to wait much longer to get your BFP! When are you expecting to get AF/have your next IUI? I got my AF on Saturday and was bummed because when I take meds I always get my +OPK on CD15 and ovulate(have IUI) the next day. Well CD16 falls on our daughter’s birthday party day and it can’t be changed and the IUI would have to be in the middle of the party…not going to happen as I refuse to let TTC interfere with something as important as our daughter’s birthday party. I decided to hold off on the Femara and we will either wait one more cycle to try or we might take a chance on doing a natural cycle. I however don’t really know if I can trust my body to ovulate a good egg without help within a decent time range. I have been ovulating between CD18 and 23 for the last 4 months but still get a fluke long and/or annovulatory cycle once in a while so don’t know if we want to risk $900 worth of frozen sperm on trusting my body…sigh. I am going to talk to my nurse tomorrow and see what she thinks about me starting my meds tomorrow and taking them 5-9. I was thinking that taking them later might make me ovulate later so I’d be out of the window for my daughter’s party day but who knows. I hate the idea of waiting another cycle but I also don’t want to stress and possibly waste one of our vials…especially since our daughter’s donor is retired and sold out. Anyways, I’ll keep you posted on what we end up doing ultimately. Please update me when you have a chance too! :slight_smile:

Maria-I hate months like that. I skipped the last few because I was unsure what to do. I’m not sure what I’d do with limited sperm.
My next IUI should be around the 26th. I should know for sure in about 2 weeks.
Hope everyone else is doing well!

Hi, I am glad to talk with other people doing the IUI treatment. I did my first IUI & Clomid 5mg Aug 22/15…and found out today I’m not pregnant. I’m going to be 43 yrs old next month… feeling really down. Does anyone have any suggestions for the next time if we try again? Is there a higher dose of Clomid to produce more follicles/eggs??

Hi, I’m new to this forum and in Canada, what is Femara, is it a FSH like Clomid?

[QUOTE=“maria_79, post: 1790939, member: 36954”]Christine,
I’m sorry that I’m just now responding. I need to remember to check this thread more often. I’m sorry about the woman at work that announced her pregnancy. That has to suck! I remember going through jealousy issues back before conceiving our daughter. It took us 6 years of off and on surgeries and fertility treatments to get her. I remember having to go in the bathroom a few times to have a cry when someone from work announced their pregnancy or birth of their baby. I was happy for them but I also just couldn’t help the feeling of being sad too. It wasn’t something that I could control. It has to be harder for you because of the situation with your co-worker though. I hope that you don’t have to wait much longer to get your BFP! When are you expecting to get AF/have your next IUI? I got my AF on Saturday and was bummed because when I take meds I always get my +OPK on CD15 and ovulate(have IUI) the next day. Well CD16 falls on our daughter’s birthday party day and it can’t be changed and the IUI would have to be in the middle of the party…not going to happen as I refuse to let TTC interfere with something as important as our daughter’s birthday party. I decided to hold off on the Femara and we will either wait one more cycle to try or we might take a chance on doing a natural cycle. I however don’t really know if I can trust my body to ovulate a good egg without help within a decent time range. I have been ovulating between CD18 and 23 for the last 4 months but still get a fluke long and/or annovulatory cycle once in a while so don’t know if we want to risk $900 worth of frozen sperm on trusting my body…sigh. I am going to talk to my nurse tomorrow and see what she thinks about me starting my meds tomorrow and taking them 5-9. I was thinking that taking them later might make me ovulate later so I’d be out of the window for my daughter’s party day but who knows. I hate the idea of waiting another cycle but I also don’t want to stress and possibly waste one of our vials…especially since our daughter’s donor is retired and sold out. Anyways, I’ll keep you posted on what we end up doing ultimately. Please update me when you have a chance too! :)[/QUOTE]

Oh hey, activity!

Christine, I’m sorry to hear about your struggle. Nobody knows how hard this process is until they’re going through it personally and the emotional toll is a high one. The first time I went through it made me hyper-aware of other people’s pregnancies and new babies and things. Unfortunately jealousy and anger and that big bag of uncomfortable emotion seems to be part and parcel of the process… and it certainly isn’t helped by the hormones we have to take! Let yourself cry, or otherwise find a way to be extra good to yourself when things feel their worst. Or/and come here to vent, because that’s part of what this is for, too.

Maria, hi! IUI timing is always a tough thing. It would be awesome if you could wiggle the date just a little bit, but on the other hand the whole process is as much art as it is science that it’s hard to know up front. Sometimes you just have to do whatever feels right and best at any given time. Good for you for not letting this miserable process get in the way of what you already have: it feels so much like we’re in this constant cycle of ‘hurry up and wait’ but birthdays are important!

Ainsley-Anne, welcome! Yes, Femara is sort of like Clomid. Technically it is a completely different kind of drug (Clomid is a selective estrogen receptor modulator, Femara is what they call an aromatase inhibitor, which suppresses estrogen) but broadly the results are the same. I actually do a combined cycle, using it and injectable stuff, because it was the combination that worked best for me. (Clomid didn’t do anything at all; Femara by itself was okay but not great; Femara + Follistim worked more or less perfectly.) As for one cycle of IUI not working, it’s really hard to say anything at all about that blindly. You do have some basic complications but I imagine your doctor checked the relevant hormone levels? Your FSH and AMH? If those are good, you really might just be involved in the waiting game. Did they do any mid-cycle ultrasounds to see what effects the Clomid had on you? Believe me, by itself it works just fine for some women. One of the ladies in my last IUI group ONLY did a low dose of Clomid and bam quadruplets. (They’re all awesome, adorable little two-year-olds now…) After my third failed cycle, my doctor explained that IUI was pretty much a numbers game and that technically a ‘normal healthy couple’ can need as much as a year of “trying” before they conceive, which for a healthy normal couple is 12 eggs. Our chances are better with bigger numbers (I had four good follicles on both of my injectable cycles) but that’s why our chances of multiples goes up. Still, most of the time a first IUI doesn’t work. Statistically speaking, the numbers aren’t good for anyone. There used to be a bunch of threads around here written by and for women looking to improve and increase their egg quality, some of which might be good reads. Sorry for the wall of text!

And me… well, I’m still waiting. Stiiiiiill waiting. twiddle

Hi! thank you for explaining everything! Appreciate it and hearing other peoples stories.
I had an ultrasound just prior to the IUI and I had 2 good sized follicles…with I guess 2 not great eggs! My FSH level was low prior to the Clomid but I guess it did it’s job producing an additional follicle but at my age it feels like the odds that 1 follicle will produce a good egg is slim. I spoke with my nurse & asked about injecties to increase the #'s of follicles and the cost was $5,000 and IVF was $10,000 so if I was looking at injectibles I might as well do IVF. The cost of either of those options isn’t on the radar and not sure I would want to do IVF…my friend is in the process currently, she is 35, has had 3 implants (1 each time) has spent $17,000 and no pregnancy. She has stopped trying…Each time we try IUI it is $575 + $44 for the Clomid and my doc will only do 3 IUI’s because the effect it can have on the thinning of the uterus. I know the cost shouldn’t matter but it is a consideration for us. I haven’t had an AMH test yet…not sure if it would be beneficial or not as it tells the #'s not the quality, is that right? It feels to me like “quality” is my problem…as well as #'s too but to know the #'s, how will that help?
I was pregnant 2 yrs ago (41yrs old) naturally but micarried at 5 weeks…
Did you just have an IUI? When do you have your pregnancy test and what number of IUI is it for you?
Good luck!!!

2 follies with Clomid is good though! Even if you had perfect eggs, it’s still kind of a numbers game… though there’s the issue of the old biological clock ticking away in the background, I know. IVF is definitely rather prohibitively expensive… although apparently my RE is asking my insurance company for $3,500 for my IUI, and that doesn’t even touch the cost of medication. It’s really unfortunate that it costs SO much, and definitely unfortunate that cost is an issue, but it is what it is.

If you think you might have a quality problem, you definitely want to go look on some of the other boards (like the IVF page) and see if you can find the list of supplements someplace. More than a few of the successes over there swear by long lists of things like DHEA and royal jelly.

I haven’t had an IUI yet. I’m still waiting for CD1 to roll around. Could be any day now!

This will be my 5th. The first two were busts, the third one was a really early miscarriage, the fourth one is currently sitting in my DH’s lap trying to help him type something.

Good luck!!! Today is my CD 1…so if we decide on trying another IUI it will be around Sept 18. Thanks for the tip, I will have a look at the IVF page. You have a baby from your 4th IUI? That is encouraging!!! Do you mind me asking how old you are?
I spoke with my nurse a little while ago and my FSH was 13.3…she said the norm was below 10…so not sure how horrible 13.3 is?? Also asked her about Melatonin which I read improved egg quality but she didn’t seem to say it would help…

CD 1! I’m excited for you, either way!

And yes, my 4th cycle was successful. I was 33 then, and am 35 now, and am reasonably optimistic about my chances. (Probably delusional too but we all have to be a little bit, I think.)

I don’t know all that much about what individual FSH levels mean, though a quick trip to Google says that 10-13 represents ‘diminished ovarian reserve’ and at 13+ it can be really hard to stimulate follicle growth for IVF… but if you had two follicles for your last IUI then it would seem to suggest otherwise, maybe? I’m really not sure!

Keep me posted on your progress! I am off to the store to buy Royal Jelly :wink:

Well, I take back what I said earlier… apparently today is CD1. Naturally it’s a 3 day weekend so I can’t go in for my baseline stuff on Monday, and now I’m in a vague panic because I don’t have any of my meds yet.

Ohhhhh!!! Is your perscription not a re-fillable one? Can your doc quickly call it into a pharmacy for you to pick up?

Apparently this time around my meds are being processed through my insurance company’s in-house specialty pharmacy. In a pinch I can probably get the Femara but the injectables are not something any pharmacy around here carries. It’s never been refillable, always a one-off round of pills.