Several questions! Help please!


#1

I am brand new to the forum. Thanks in advance for all your help! I started reading the forums because I have felt like I am battling infertility alone…none of my family or friends seem to understand :frowning:

I just got a call from my doctor indicating that I should likely just cancel my cycle due to small follicles. It’s CD 12 and my largest was 9 with several slightly smaller ones. I started 75 Gonal-F on CD 5. I’ve had some spotting after intercourse and ultrasounds this cycle and my linning measured only around 6. My estradiol was 172 today.

Should I push to continue the cycle?
He recommended protected intercourse until AF…why?
He suggested that I go ahead and take trigger shot to release the small follicles…why? I thought if they were too small they wouldn’t release anyway? I have horrible side effects from Ovidrel!

Help Please!!:grr:


#2

I say push to continue. You are on a low dose, can they increase it? Or better yet, just continue slowly. CD 12 is still mid cycle. Is there any other problem with this cycle where they’d decide to cancel? Was there a stop in the growth altogether for a time? Your estrogen is good, getting up there. Lining is picking up almost to a good level. I think you should push HARD to continue because to me there doesn’t seem to be any reason to cancel at this point.
As for protected intercourse, did he recommend to do this throughout the cycle or now that it will be cancelled? My doctor recommends it during injectable cycles as well because there is a tendency to make too many follicles and higher risk of multiples so they want to wait to see how many you have before going ahead with intercourse. To be honest, I’m planning to ignore that this cycle because last cycle I DID have too many follicles but then they didn’t give me a trigger shot and I didn’t ovulate so couldn’t get pregnant anyway.

[quote=ADG12]I am brand new to the forum. Thanks in advance for all your help! I started reading the forums because I have felt like I am battling infertility alone…none of my family or friends seem to understand :frowning:

I just got a call from my doctor indicating that I should likely just cancel my cycle due to small follicles. It’s CD 12 and my largest was 9 with several slightly smaller ones. I started 75 Gonal-F on CD 5. I’ve had some spotting after intercourse and ultrasounds this cycle and my linning measured only around 6. My estradiol was 172 today.

Should I push to continue the cycle?
He recommended protected intercourse until AF…why?
He suggested that I go ahead and take trigger shot to release the small follicles…why? I thought if they were too small they wouldn’t release anyway? I have horrible side effects from Ovidrel!

Help Please!!:grr:[/quote]


#3

ME personally would ask to up my dose a bit and wait it out. Some RE’s feel that if you aren’t ready by CD14 its not good. Well some girls just respond slower than other.

Goodluck!!


#4

I totally agree with the previous people. Ask that they up your dose and continue. 7 days of stims is good, but I have seen women stim for much longer… I was just on stims for 10 days. I wonder why he didn’t up your dose earlier when you weren’t responding.
As for the protected intercourse… WTH?! Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose here?
Stay the course. My biggest follie was only at an 8 and two days later it was 18. If your doc is telling you to do something you question, speak up, he’ll either explain his reasons to you and make you feel better, or agree that you can continue.
Good luck! :babydust:


#5

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you all so much for your replies! It’s nice to have someone who knows exactly how I feel!

It was frustrating to me because due to PCOS I very rarely get a cycle where I can even stim. So, I FINALLY get a cycle where I do not have a large cyst and now he wants to cancel! Ugh. I’m now 33 and getting a bit impatient! :grr:

He was concerned mostly about the spotting I think but it only happens after intercourse or U/S and lasts only a couple hours. It also ONLY happens on cycles where I do stim…is that strange??? I’ve read that for some women, the medication causes an inflammation of the cervix. Anyone heard of that?

He just recommended protected intercourse now that he cancelled the cycle because of a slight possibility that an immature follicle would fertilize and then lead to miscarriage.

It appears that he is not going to give in on this though! Part of me wants to just continue on my own!


#6

He won’t give in? That’s too bad! I guess he is pretty concerned about the spotting. I wonder what he is going to do about the spotting to find out what it is. Next cycle could be the same spotting, is he going to cancel all of them until he finds out??

Sorry about this cycle, it is sooooo disappointing to have one cancelled! As for continuing on your own, I’ve thought of that too but it seems so risky with the lack of monitoring. Also, many people won’t go on to ovulate without a trigger, I think. It is tempting though. Let us know what you decide to do.

[quote=ADG12]Thank you all so much for your replies! It’s nice to have someone who knows exactly how I feel!

It was frustrating to me because due to PCOS I very rarely get a cycle where I can even stim. So, I FINALLY get a cycle where I do not have a large cyst and now he wants to cancel! Ugh. I’m now 33 and getting a bit impatient! :grr:

He was concerned mostly about the spotting I think but it only happens after intercourse or U/S and lasts only a couple hours. It also ONLY happens on cycles where I do stim…is that strange??? I’ve read that for some women, the medication causes an inflammation of the cervix. Anyone heard of that?

He just recommended protected intercourse now that he cancelled the cycle because of a slight possibility that an immature follicle would fertilize and then lead to miscarriage.

It appears that he is not going to give in on this though! Part of me wants to just continue on my own![/quote]


#7

I have also heard that sometime our cervix can become inflamed which causes spotting. Im sorry he wouldn’t give you some more days. I wouldn’t protect anything. I’d get busy and hope and pray. :grouphug:


#8

Yay!!! Thank you for the advice :slight_smile:

So, after all the encouragement you guys gave me, I decided to try one more time to convince my RE to give me a few days…so, last night I went ahead and took the Goal F and called him this morning and he said he would give me several more days as long as I don’t have any more spotting!!! I haven’t had any so he doubled my Goal F (now 150…which Is actually what I took last night but didn’t tell him :o) and already tonight. So, I have BW and U/S just to make sure my lining isn’t
:pray:
thinning.


#9

:cross: :cross: Goodluck!! :pray:


#10

Finally some good news :slight_smile:

Had my BW and U/S this am…my lead follicle is now 17!! So, it doubled in about 2 days! My lining was also 9 so right where my RE wanted it!:woohoo: Thanks again for the encouragement to SPEAK UP! One more dose of Gonal F tonight, Ovidrel tomorrow evening and IUI Monday morning! :pray:


#11

[QUOTE=ADG12]Had my BW and U/S this am…my lead follicle is now 17!! So, it doubled in about 2 days! My lining was also 9 so right where my RE wanted it!:woohoo: Thanks again for the encouragement to SPEAK UP! One more dose of Gonal F tonight, Ovidrel tomorrow evening and IUI Monday morning! :pray:[/QUOTE]
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: so glad to hear your follicle grew. Good luck on Monday! Thinking:bsv: for you!