Severe OHSS

I am looking for individuals who have had severe cases of OHSS with there IVF cycle and ended up trying it again. I would like to know if the OHSS reoccurred and to what severity.

In April we started our first round of IVF. We had ER on April 25th (used Lupron). During the procedure they were not able to retrieve any eggs and made me go home inject the HCG shot and come back the next day. They retrieved 8 eggs, but that is where it all began. I never made it out of recovery. I was throwing up and couldn’t sit up without passing out. The called the ambulance and sent me to the hospital which we thought was going to be for observation over night but that wasn’t the case. As the days progressed my swelling and pain progressed. By Sat they drained 5 liters of fluid from my abdomen and I was on a very restricted pain med that required 4 sign offs to get (Makes Morphin look like tylenol). They moved me to ICU as my heart rate was extremely high. My lungs were filling with fluid, my kidneys weren’t doing well, my blood levels were dropping, white blood cells through the roof, I can go on… I was in the hospital for 3 week. They drained a total of 15 liters from my abdomen and lungs. It was a painful and emotional experience.

I was on bed rest and Short term disability for another 5 weeks after being released from the hospital. I am finally up and feeling normal. None of the 8 eggs they retrieved made it to day 3. My husband is scared to even try again as he doesn’t want to risk losing his wife again, but there is a longing inside me to want children. I have done searches to try and find information around what the reoccurrence would be and I can’t find anything.

If there is anyone out there that would love to share their experience with me I would greatly appreciate it. I know every person is different and we all react potentially differently to processes. My doctor says he is confident he it will work and won’t get severe OHSS again, but I would love to hear others stories.

Warmest regards.

If you have a fear of getting OHSS again regardless of whether your E2 is low and the doctor says you have low risk of getting it just always ask for lupron trigger not HCG trigger and freeze all your embryos and do FETs

[QUOTE=Rhubarby2]I am looking for individuals who have had severe cases of OHSS with there IVF cycle and ended up trying it again. I would like to know if the OHSS reoccurred and to what severity.

In April we started our first round of IVF. We had ER on April 25th (used Lupron). During the procedure they were not able to retrieve any eggs and made me go home inject the HCG shot and come back the next day. They retrieved 8 eggs, but that is where it all began. I never made it out of recovery. I was throwing up and couldn’t sit up without passing out. The called the ambulance and sent me to the hospital which we thought was going to be for observation over night but that wasn’t the case. As the days progressed my swelling and pain progressed. By Sat they drained 5 liters of fluid from my abdomen and I was on a very restricted pain med that required 4 sign offs to get (Makes Morphin look like tylenol). They moved me to ICU as my heart rate was extremely high. My lungs were filling with fluid, my kidneys weren’t doing well, my blood levels were dropping, white blood cells through the roof, I can go on… I was in the hospital for 3 week. They drained a total of 15 liters from my abdomen and lungs. It was a painful and emotional experience.

I was on bed rest and Short term disability for another 5 weeks after being released from the hospital. I am finally up and feeling normal. None of the 8 eggs they retrieved made it to day 3. My husband is scared to even try again as he doesn’t want to risk losing his wife again, but there is a longing inside me to want children. I have done searches to try and find information around what the reoccurrence would be and I can’t find anything.

If there is anyone out there that would love to share their experience with me I would greatly appreciate it. I know every person is different and we all react potentially differently to processes. My doctor says he is confident he it will work and won’t get severe OHSS again, but I would love to hear others stories.

Warmest regards.[/QUOTE]

Well I haven’t had OHSS, I am a fellow Mastiff lover! I had 2 English before my current bullmastiff.:paw:

Anyhow, I would go to another RE and get another opinion! It never hurts to have a second or third opinion. Take you medical file from the current doc and ask the next RE why he thinks that happened. I have never heard of anything like this and this is my second go around with IVF (I have a 2yo from first round)!

Good luck sweetie, don’t lose hope! :cheer:

[quote=Rhubarby2]I am looking for individuals who have had severe cases of OHSS with there IVF cycle and ended up trying it again. I would like to know if the OHSS reoccurred and to what severity.

Warmest regards.[/quote]
I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to your question but my heart just breaks for everything that you have been through. I am so sorry you had to go through that.