Shady Grove anyone

Hi Ladies,

I recently moved to MD and was wondering if anyone on this board has used/is using Shady Grove. Any advice on which doc was the best? Any help is appreciated…thanks.

I don’t know how much advice I can give because I didn’t end up doing my IVF with Shady Grove, I just did two IUIs there.

I can say that I decided to go to the one at GBMC, which has now moved to Towson, because two different friends recommended Dr. Katz. I ended up with Dr. Yazigi and he seemed fine to me, they sort of work together anyway. I also had another friend highly recommend Dr. McClamrock at the Shady Grove downtown at Harbor place.

Shady Grove has good stats, a lot of my friends have used them, all of them have gotten pregnant at least once, but some not the second time. That is not necessarily a reflection on the clinic. Some people love SG and some people hate it. It is a very busy place. In terms of Maryland, it seems to be the best option. I know some tough cases that have had to go to Johns Hopkins too, but I don’t know if they have the same success rates as SG, maybe because they take more difficult cases.

Good Luck!

Marylander24, thanks so much for your response. I feel a little better knowing that you said McClamrock came recommended. I live in Harbor East he may be the easiest.

I’ve had 2 failed IVFs in NY, so I’m wondering if Hopkins may be a better bet for me. Do you know any doctors there? Or can you recommend any?

Thanks again for your help. It’s so hard to start this infertility process over in a new state. :grr:

[quote=Marylander24]I don’t know how much advice I can give because I didn’t end up doing my IVF with Shady Grove, I just did two IUIs there.

I can say that I decided to go to the one at GBMC, which has now moved to Towson, because two different friends recommended Dr. Katz. I ended up with Dr. Yazigi and he seemed fine to me, they sort of work together anyway. I also had another friend highly recommend Dr. McClamrock at the Shady Grove downtown at Harbor place.

Shady Grove has good stats, a lot of my friends have used them, all of them have gotten pregnant at least once, but some not the second time. That is not necessarily a reflection on the clinic. Some people love SG and some people hate it. It is a very busy place. In terms of Maryland, it seems to be the best option. I know some tough cases that have had to go to Johns Hopkins too, but I don’t know if they have the same success rates as SG, maybe because they take more difficult cases.

Good Luck![/quote]

let me share my experience with you… firstly DO NOT go to hopkins I went there for my first two IVF’s first one failed because oops the dr. forgot to ICSI!!! second one ended in a blighted ovum that was over at 6 weeks but we kept going until about 9 weeks because according to one of the drs, our main dr didn’t want to tell us it was over because he hates to give bad news??? another WTF moment.

Anyway went to shady grove and had immediate success with my 3rd IVF and he is now a healthy 2 year old… and went again for my 4th IVF and he is now a sweet 5 month old. I saw Dr. Osheroff at the Columbia office. They were so nice and I loved it… as compared to Hopkins where a nurse called me after one of my betas and just said “YA it’s over” WTF again!!! Please please do not go to hopkins they are absolutely awful!! We LOVE Shady Grove and even still go to the family day picnics and the race for the family. It really is just a great place. Also our case was a difficult one too My husband has low issues all around and I just have poor egg quality on top of PCOS. But again they were great and we are so thankful to them!

Just had to share Good Luck with everything!!!

Wow Lesley44, that’s so awful! I will stay away from Hopkins! Do they perform IVF/FET in Columbia? Or did you have to go to Rockville for that? I’ll be going to their satellite Harbor East office and need to chose between Towson or Rockville for the procedure.

[quote=lesley44]let me share my experience with you… firstly DO NOT go to hopkins I went there for my first two IVF’s first one failed because oops the dr. forgot to ICSI!!! second one ended in a blighted ovum that was over at 6 weeks but we kept going until about 9 weeks because according to one of the drs, our main dr didn’t want to tell us it was over because he hates to give bad news??? another WTF moment.

Anyway went to shady grove and had immediate success with my 3rd IVF and he is now a healthy 2 year old… and went again for my 4th IVF and he is now a sweet 5 month old. I saw Dr. Osheroff at the Columbia office. They were so nice and I loved it… as compared to Hopkins where a nurse called me after one of my betas and just said “YA it’s over” WTF again!!! Please please do not go to hopkins they are absolutely awful!! We LOVE Shady Grove and even still go to the family day picnics and the race for the family. It really is just a great place. Also our case was a difficult one too My husband has low issues all around and I just have poor egg quality on top of PCOS. But again they were great and we are so thankful to them!

Just had to share Good Luck with everything!!![/quote]

Wow, ya, Hopkins sounds terrible if that happens to a lot of their patients! I know one person that went there but I honestly never got too much info from her and another that said she had to go there because nobody else would take her, but I don’t know how it turned out for her.

Really, Shady Grove is so good, I don’t think I would bother looking elsewhere in the area.

My friend loved Dr. McClamrock, he let her email him directly whenever she needed anything and was so great working with her, she is in her early 40s and used her own eggs.

Im at SG, but at their Rockville office. Like it was said earlier, all of the docs work together. I am with Dr Chang, but have only seen him 4 times since we began treatments in December. I totally feel comfortable with all the docs there so it really doesn’t matter who you choose.

I had everything done at the Rockville office. I think the Towson one is new. All the doctors I saw we’re quite friendly there and I ha a really positive experience overall. Again good luck with everything!!

I go to Shady Grove in Rockville (Dr. O’Brien) and I think they’re really good. Certainly one of the best labs around.

The only thing to be prepared for is that they are like a factory - very busy - so you spend a lot of time dealing with your nurse (but they are great) and probably won’t see your Dr. much. the trade-off, however, is that they’re also really convenient, open 7 days a week, always available for appointments at multiple locations (I work downtown so would often monitor in the K St office), so that is a big relief when you’re trying to schedule your life around IVF.

I think you’ll be happy with SGF.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Yeah I’m kind of used to the factory like setting because I was at RMA NY which is very similar. I guess we’ll see how this goes :cross:

[quote=absofsteel]I go to Shady Grove in Rockville (Dr. O’Brien) and I think they’re really good. Certainly one of the best labs around.

The only thing to be prepared for is that they are like a factory - very busy - so you spend a lot of time dealing with your nurse (but they are great) and probably won’t see your Dr. much. the trade-off, however, is that they’re also really convenient, open 7 days a week, always available for appointments at multiple locations (I work downtown so would often monitor in the K St office), so that is a big relief when you’re trying to schedule your life around IVF.

I think you’ll be happy with SGF.[/quote]

LOVE Shady Grove! We were at the Frederick office and went to Rockville for just a couple monitoring sessions on the weekend and for our egg retrieval and transfer.

The Frederick office is small and we loved everybody there. They knew us by name and were all friendly and helpful.

The only time that I felt like it was a factory were the two times we went to Rockville for monitoring. But I sort of expected that with it being such a bigger office than Frederick. That being said, everybody there was still super nice, it was just a different feel.

We saw Dr. Bromer and he is AMAZING! We absolutely loved him. We were also very lucky because I got to see him at every monitoring appointment and he also did my transfer. I could email him anytime and also he called me personally everyday while we waited for transfer. I cannot say enough good things about him! I know all the other doctors are good to. And they do all work together.

We go to Shady Grove, and haven’t been too happy with it, but see it as a necessary thing if we want to have a baby! It really is like a factory - super busy and wait times are long. Well, that’s not true, wait times for blood work and ultrasounds aren’t too bad, and sometimes really quick. But, wait times for procedures are sometimes VERY long. My wife went through 7 IUIs there (Rockville office) and the first five were all back-to-back so it was essentially 12 IUIs. The shortest wait we had was 30 minutes late for appointment time, the longest was three hours late for appointment time (we always show up at least 15 minutes prior to our appointment).

Also, to add to the factory feel, it really doesn’t seem like they are trying to come up with an individualized plan for my wife. They have their “typical” treatment plan and tend to want to do that, even when it’s not working. The only reason we went to fertility treatments is because we are using donor sperm (I don’t produce any). We had no reason to think my wife wouldn’t get pregnant within three IUIs since all tests pointed to her being very healthy and no issues. But, it hasn’t worked, and no one there is willing to do more tests for any rare issues that could be happening, or change timing of things like drugs, triggers, IUIs, etc, or follow-up tests to check for ovulation or hormone levels after the IUI. Plus, since their bread and butter is IVF they pushed that early and often. Thinking back, we should have done it, but we really thought that IUI would work.

Finally, every time we went to meet with our doctor she changed her story. When we first went in she said that all IUIs have a 25% chance of working, but as time went on she kept lowering it - to the point where last time we went she said, well, IUIs only have a 10% chance of working anyway. We were told that all donor sperm IUIs have to be done back-to-back for a better chance at working (and, of course, DS is expensive!). Then, prior to the sixth one we were told that they never do back-to-back IUIs because it isn’t clinically warranted. So, I have an extremely hard time believing anything they say now. She has also said that IVF for a person my wife’s age and health has a 65% chance of working. I’m just waiting to see when she rounds that number down :slight_smile:

So anyway, we really don’t want to continue going there, but it’s so close to where we live. We are moving to IVF now (funny, since we only started going there with the intention of doing two unmedicated IUIs to see if it worked, and then we planned to be done - isn’t that always the way?). We decided to give them one more try because of proximity and this is what they do.

But, long story short, the whole process has left an extremely bad taste in my mouth. Though, they do have pretty good success rates and lots of people love them. So, they must be doing something right. I do have to say, also, that everyone has been perfectly nice and professional and we don’t have any problem with customer service or anything like that - it’s all been good.

We went to Shady Grove and didn’t have a good experience. I used the SART website to find another fertility clinic. PM me if you want more details.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It sounded all too familiar with what I went through in NY. My husband and I are healthy and managed to get pregnant on our own but miscarried. We then went through 5 IUI all of which failed and we couldn’t understand why! We then moved onto 2 IVFs which failed but I’m having a hard time finding a doctor that will look beyond the normal issues, because clearly there’s something wrong here. We just moved to MD from NY so it feels like we’re starting this process over again :frowning:

Good luck to you and your wife, I hope IVF works for you guys.

[quote=SktlsFam]We go to Shady Grove, and haven’t been too happy with it, but see it as a necessary thing if we want to have a baby! It really is like a factory - super busy and wait times are long. Well, that’s not true, wait times for blood work and ultrasounds aren’t too bad, and sometimes really quick. But, wait times for procedures are sometimes VERY long. My wife went through 7 IUIs there (Rockville office) and the first five were all back-to-back so it was essentially 12 IUIs. The shortest wait we had was 30 minutes late for appointment time, the longest was three hours late for appointment time (we always show up at least 15 minutes prior to our appointment).

Also, to add to the factory feel, it really doesn’t seem like they are trying to come up with an individualized plan for my wife. They have their “typical” treatment plan and tend to want to do that, even when it’s not working. The only reason we went to fertility treatments is because we are using donor sperm (I don’t produce any). We had no reason to think my wife wouldn’t get pregnant within three IUIs since all tests pointed to her being very healthy and no issues. But, it hasn’t worked, and no one there is willing to do more tests for any rare issues that could be happening, or change timing of things like drugs, triggers, IUIs, etc, or follow-up tests to check for ovulation or hormone levels after the IUI. Plus, since their bread and butter is IVF they pushed that early and often. Thinking back, we should have done it, but we really thought that IUI would work.

Finally, every time we went to meet with our doctor she changed her story. When we first went in she said that all IUIs have a 25% chance of working, but as time went on she kept lowering it - to the point where last time we went she said, well, IUIs only have a 10% chance of working anyway. We were told that all donor sperm IUIs have to be done back-to-back for a better chance at working (and, of course, DS is expensive!). Then, prior to the sixth one we were told that they never do back-to-back IUIs because it isn’t clinically warranted. So, I have an extremely hard time believing anything they say now. She has also said that IVF for a person my wife’s age and health has a 65% chance of working. I’m just waiting to see when she rounds that number down :slight_smile:

So anyway, we really don’t want to continue going there, but it’s so close to where we live. We are moving to IVF now (funny, since we only started going there with the intention of doing two unmedicated IUIs to see if it worked, and then we planned to be done - isn’t that always the way?). We decided to give them one more try because of proximity and this is what they do.

But, long story short, the whole process has left an extremely bad taste in my mouth. Though, they do have pretty good success rates and lots of people love them. So, they must be doing something right. I do have to say, also, that everyone has been perfectly nice and professional and we don’t have any problem with customer service or anything like that - it’s all been good.[/quote]

Careen - just PMed you :slight_smile:

[quote=patientlywaiting0581]Hi Ladies,

I recently moved to MD and was wondering if anyone on this board has used/is using Shady Grove. Any advice on which doc was the best? Any help is appreciated…thanks.[/quote]

What do you need your experience to be like?

The thing about Shady Grove, that some people like and some people hate, is that you won’t have just one doctor. I had many different doctors do my monitoring, 3 different doctors do 4 IUI’s, and separate docs for my surgery/egg retrieval/embryo transfer. That being said, I liked that I had so many people having insight into my treatment – it felt like having a lot of backstops. If you don’t like that approach and just want one doctor, you’re likely to not enjoy the SG model.

I think the embryologists are fabulous there and found that it was super easy to get in and out. Unlike the previous poster, I never had more than a 5 minute wait from my scheduled appointment time at any of the three facilities I went to.

I felt like my doctors really cared about my treatment and very accessible and accommodating to my questions. I would recommend SG to anyone and will go back for future pregnancies.

I go to Shady Grove. I’m older, but they got me pregnant twice with my own eggs. Sadly, we recently lost our baby - but that wasn’t due to the care we received at Shady Grove.

I’m really sorry to read this. I hope you are holding up okay, my sympathies are with you and your family.

I am so sorry to hear this. I have also had a miscarriage so I know the pain this is causing you :frowning:

[QUOTE=essemkay]I go to Shady Grove. I’m older, but they got me pregnant twice with my own eggs. Sadly, we recently lost our baby - but that wasn’t due to the care we received at Shady Grove.[/QUOTE]

I’ve just started at Shady Grove in Annapolis for monitoring and will be going to Towson for ER & ET. My husband didn’t like the commercialized feeling he got at the consults (we went to one then waited another year to keep trying naturally and went back again to start IVF). It felt a bit like a live infomercial. BUT, we have both had a few snags like I had an over due PAP and he had an outstanding blood test and they were awesome about helping us get everything done fast so we could do an August cycle. Also the nurses have been incredibly responsive and always so nice/friendly. So far I have been happy with my experience and I think the SART stats for women my age 38-40 are pretty good.