Signs of a congenital heart condition

Hi Ladies -

My Baby A showed signs of a congenital heart condition (which could be benign even if she does have it). However, they are sending me for an EKG on her next Tuesday. Has anyone had this done? Can you tell me how they do it?

Thanks! Summer

Hello summer I had to have it done with dd cause I’m diabetic and diabetes is know to cause heart defects. They basically doing a Sono that focusus on the babies heart. No meds and no pain. There was a doctor present that gave me the results once the tech was done. Hope everything goes ok. Good luck.

[QUOTE=summerbaby]Hi Ladies -

My Baby A showed signs of a congenital heart condition (which could be benign even if she does have it). However, they are sending me for an EKG on her next Tuesday. Has anyone had this done? Can you tell me how they do it?

Thanks! Summer[/QUOTE]

I had a partial echocardiogram done on my identicals (couldn’t be completed because babies weren’t cooperating). Its done by the ultrasound tech and looks at all chambers of the heart–kind of reminds me of the Level II ultrasound. They’re going to try again next week. Dr said babies were showing signs of possible VSD but said most of the time this clears on its own. If it doesn’t clear, I’ll see a pediatric cardiologist for further evaluation. Dr said VSD wasn’t a concern at this point.

When I was at the hospital, I spoke with someone from the NICU and asked about VSD and was told that babies born with it usually don’t have serious problems.

Naturally, I’m concerned, but if something like this is picked up in utero, it’s something we are aware of that can be addressed or further evaluated after birth. For all I know, I could have had the same issue in the womb but it wouldn’t have been detected back then because it was before ultrasound was used.

BabiesAreCute -

Good luck! My Baby was thought to have dextrocardia on her Level II ultrasound. It’s extremely rare, and it’s when your heart is on the right instead of the left. As long as the heart functions normally (which hers appears to do) it should have no effect on her life. My appointment Tuesday is with the pediatric cardiologist…so I will get more information then.