Singles Trying to Conceive...

[QUOTE=lilac]Will read posts later(doing this on my phone)… But quick update: released from hospital!!! Now camped out at hotel waiting for follow up with surgeon…[/QUOTE]

That’s great news!!!

First post.

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forums. I’m currently researching everything about fertility treatments and hoping to do my first IUI soon.
I have a question for those of you who used DS. Did you have to have HIV, Hep, etc. testing for yourself? I spoke to the nurse today and was told that the policy is that all donor recipients must undergo the testing. It makes no sense to me, since the Cryo bank tests the donor. It seems like an unnecessary expense (my insurance does not cover any of the fertility or monitoring costs, so its all out of pocket). I just want to see if that is a standard requirement or just for my clinic.

Me - Single, anovulatory.
Starting TTC with DS - soon.

:welcome: Hope! The full panel of STD testing is regulated by the FDA, so I believe it is standard for all recipients. I know I had to have it done when I first began this process 2 years ago.

Jen waiting to hear how the followup appointment goes. Hope you and Abigail are doing well!

Latina how are you feeling?

Gulliver your beta is tomorrow right? Keep us posted on how it goes.

AFM I emailed my RE’s nurse today to let her know I planned on coming in June for an u/s to check the cyst and to let her know that if it hadn’t shrunk or disappeared I would like to go ahead with an unmedicated IUI. After all, I cannot ever succeed in getting pregnant if I’m always benched and never trying. I just wanted to make sure they were aware of what I wanted so things aren’t last minute. Plus, I wanted to know if I needed to meet with my RE to talk about this or, if I could just go ahead, seeing as how it was unmedicated so fairly simple, as far as those things go.

She emailed me back saying she was no longer in the monitoring department and she would forward my email. She also said my RE had left the practice late last year (nice of anyone to let me know!) and I will have to schedule a regroup with one of the other doctors. I just hope this doesn’t delay things. Do you think I’ll have to have testing and such redone? I’ll be at the same clinic, just a different RE since the one I was seeing left. Since all of this comes out of pocket I really don’t want to have to fork out money for new testing when my old tests should stand just fine.

Welcome, Hope!

Nickelle, here is Canada the infection diseases screening needs to be repeated every 12 months (my new clinic’s standard is every 6 months)…I didn’t have to repeat the psych evaluation or the HSG, though…

As for me, I’m d2piui…so nothing to report.

[QUOTE=maloo]Welcome, Hope!

Nickelle, here is Canada the infection diseases screening needs to be repeated every 12 months (my new clinic’s standard is every 6 months)…I didn’t have to repeat the psych evaluation or the HSG, though…

As for me, I’m d2piui…so nothing to report.[/QUOTE]
The FDA panel for infectious diseases alone is $1,000 and it comes out of my pocket and I wasn’t accounting for it. Really hoping I don’t have to have it redone but I guess we’ll wait and see :confused:

Have an appointment April 24th for a consultation with one of the other doctors at the clinic at 4:30 in the afternoon. :cross: for good news.

Welcome Hope! Nickelle is correct on those tests being mandated by the FDA so if you use donor sperm the sperm bank requires them. They should be covered by insurance though, as are most infertility screening exams and tests.

Nickelle, the rules for tests are the same as Maloo stated for Canada. Most tests are good for 12 months. It shouldn’t matter if you switch doctors in the same practice since all your records are still there. Even switching to another practice, most of your tests transfer. The STD tests, PAPP, and other screening tests would have to be redone if they are more than a year old even if you stayed with the same doctor. In all my years, I’ve only ONCE had a doctor contact me and let me know he was leaving a practice and I’ve had a lot of doctors so really, that’s not something you should expect to see. It just doesn’t happen.

AFM, still no AF. Going to go ahead with the surgery anyway. Based on all my body signals it feels like I am mid-cycle, but who knows. It will mean a longer procedure but I just need to get it over with. I am nervous about it as they have to put me under. Has anyone had polyp removal done before or a D and C (I think they are similar)? Were you put under? How long did it take to recover and get AF afterwards?

:welcome: Hopeforthebest! Nickelle is right, you do need the screening and here in the Texas, my doctor made me repeat it at the 12 month mark. It is covered as part of a wellness exam with your gyn, so just get the testing with the gyn and then bring the results to the RE.
Good luck!

Ona, I hope the surgery goes well, I had some patients undergo that procedure and been told that it is not that bad. :cross: :cross: for you!

Nickelle, I hope all goes well with the new doctor, have you considered going to those clinics that bundle the std testing for like 250 for all and then bringing the results to the RE? One of my friends did that when she didn’t have insurance. Are you worried what would happen if you got pregnant and that cyst ruptures from the elevation in hormones?

Jen, I hope all is well with Abigail and that you are on your way home soon.

Maloo…sending you lots of :bsv: :bsv: :pray:

Gullivergal, I think your beta was today? How did it go?

Afm, I am ok, some morning nausea but no vomiting…yey. It is hard though because I am gluten intolerant so I can’t eat crackers to help with nausea. But I am working on alternatives. My US is tomorrow and I am super excited. For some reason, I think it might be twins, but I dunno, we will see what The Lord brings me.

TEOE: Hi!

Thank you for the warm welcome and feedback.

Thelifespark - :cross: That your cyst is gone and you can do the IUI. I can see you had a long wait.

Silverbrumby - Good luck with your surgery. When are you scheduled for?

AFM - I wish my RE provided me with all the information at once. I already waited a few months while I was getting the hormone and genetic testing done. Thought that I would be ready to start my first IUI in May, but now there are more hoops to jump though.

I was originally told that my insurance does not cover anything related to infertility. Today I finally spoke to someone through the IF hotline at my insurance company and was told that they would cover consults and some diagnostic testing. However, since I don’t have a partner and will be using DS, I would have to have a formal diagnosis of infertility before they would cover anything. So, my next hoop is getting an appointment with GYN and trying to get an official diagnosis on paper. I was originally diagnosed with PCOS years ago, but my current RE doesn’t think I have it based on my test results. She was not able to give me a reason why I have very irregular periods (sometimes spot for a month at a time, other times skip multiple months) and don’t ovulate (have been charting for a long time, never a change in the first morning temp). It might be hard to get an official diagnosis if no one knows what is causing the problems.

Do you know if HSG has to be repeated every 12 months as well? I haven’t had my first done yet, and I’m not looking forward to it at all. Has anyone done HSG and then IUI during the same cycle?

[QUOTE=HopeForTheBest]Thank you for the warm welcome and feedback.

Thelifespark - :cross: That your cyst is gone and you can do the IUI. I can see you had a long wait.

Silverbrumby - Good luck with your surgery. When are you scheduled for?

AFM - I wish my RE provided me with all the information at once. I already waited a few months while I was getting the hormone and genetic testing done. Thought that I would be ready to start my first IUI in May, but now there are more hoops to jump though.

I was originally told that my insurance does not cover anything related to infertility. Today I finally spoke to someone through the IF hotline at my insurance company and was told that they would cover consults and some diagnostic testing. However, since I don’t have a partner and will be using DS, I would have to have a formal diagnosis of infertility before they would cover anything. So, my next hoop is getting an appointment with GYN and trying to get an official diagnosis on paper. I was originally diagnosed with PCOS years ago, but my current RE doesn’t think I have it based on my test results. She was not able to give me a reason why I have very irregular periods (sometimes spot for a month at a time, other times skip multiple months) and don’t ovulate (have been charting for a long time, never a change in the first morning temp). It might be hard to get an official diagnosis if no one knows what is causing the problems.

Do you know if HSG has to be repeated every 12 months as well? I haven’t had my first done yet, and I’m not looking forward to it at all. Has anyone done HSG and then IUI during the same cycle?[/QUOTE]

My insurance company covered my hsg, but it was only done after I failed my first iui. I didn’t have to repeat that either. I had the same answer from my insurance company, my doctor somehow billed the insurance company for the baseline ultrasound and labs every time, I only paid for any labs or imaging once we got started on med or treatment.

[QUOTE=latina418]
Nickelle, I hope all goes well with the new doctor, have you considered going to those clinics that bundle the std testing for like 250 for all and then bringing the results to the RE? One of my friends did that when she didn’t have insurance. Are you worried what would happen if you got pregnant and that cyst ruptures from the elevation in hormones?[/QUOTE]
Latina what kind of clinic would bundle like that? Would that be like a Planned Parenthood clinic? Or are there different clinics? If I could get them done somewhere bundled like that it would be a huge convenience. I really don’t want to have to spend 1k on this stuff every year! It’s ridiculous. As for the cyst…I never really thought about that. My previous RE didn’t seem worried about my getting pregnant with the cyst, only with taking fertility meds with it. She said women make cysts all the time and just usually don’t know it since they aren’t getting u/s to monitor all the time. Speaking of ultrasounds…good luck on yours tomorrow! Let us know how it goes!

Never mind lol after reading this I googled (love google, seriously, I think I might have a problem; is there a googler’s anonymous?) and found a clinic just down the street from me that does the full panel of FDA STD testing. I checked around the site and it says it’s $219 for the full panel. Not bad at all. When I have my consult with Dr. Swanson I can ask about doing that instead of spending 1k on the same testing I can get cheaper elsewhere! Thanks for the tip latina…I don’t know why I never thought of that.

Nickelle,
Glad to hear that you were able to find a place.
Ask your doctor about the cyst and risk with pregnancy. I know my mom had a cyst when she was pregnant with my brother and they were real worried.
Best to be safe than sorry.

Ultrasound is in about an hour… excited!

Just got back from the Doctor’s office. We saw two sacs, and yolks on both. One is larger than the other. The larger one we could see the beautiful heart beating, the second one was harder because of the location and my uterus anatomy. Super excited! Family is overjoyed!
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

[QUOTE=latina418]Just got back from the Doctor’s office. We saw two sacs, and yolks on both. One is larger than the other. The larger one we could see the beautiful heart beating, the second one was harder because of the location and my uterus anatomy. Super excited! Family is overjoyed!
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:[/QUOTE]
OMG! TWINS!!! Those seem to be popular around here :smiley: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

latina418 - :cheer::cheer: Congratulations!!! :cheer::cheer:. How far along are you? Did they schedule you for another US?

AFM - I made an appointment with OBGYN today. The doctor I really liked moved out of the area a few years ago. I saw someone else last time and is was a horrible experience. Never going back there again. Had to find someone new and found out its really hard to get in as a new patient. At the first office I called they were scheduling appointments for October. There is no way I’m waiting that long, so I just called every office in the area that takes my insurance and found someone who will see me in a few weeks. I’m a bit nervous going to someone new considering my last experience.

I will see if GYN will give me a referral for the CDC Panel testing under the general workup. If not I will have to use a local clinic too. I found one within a mile from me that does it for $219.

My insurance company covered my hsg, but it was only done after I failed my first iui.

This was my plan as well. Since I have no known tubal issues I thought I would try at least once before doing HSG, but my RE won’t let me do an IUI without having it done.

Technical question - can you tell me how to add a signature to my posts. I put one in under user CP, but don’t know what I have to check off to have it show up under my posts.

Hi Hopeforthebest,
I am 6 weeks and 1 day. I am scheduled for my next ultrasound next Friday.

Have you explained to the RE that you would like to proceed without the Hsg for the first iui, ultimately it is your body. He can’t force you. It is not standard of care that you have to. It is just his personal choice.
As for the screening they will do it at the gyn as long as you state that you are concerned and want to check that all is well. Your insurance will cover that and the genetic screening too for the cystic fibrosis, cmv and stuff.

Ps as far as your signature before you post a message at the bottom it should say miscellaneous options, make sure that show your signature is checked off.

I have a questions for the ladies that have been successful in the past. My doctor currently has me on endometrium 100mg vaginally twice daily with estradiol orally twice daily. I went to get the refill since my doctor wants me to stay in these until 10 weeks, but it is going to cost me like $370 dollars after vouchers and discounts. He offered to switch me to prometrium instead which is like 70 bucks, but there is no data that supports this drug for fertility use. Should I switch or pay the high cost? Did your docs have you on these drugs too?

Latina, WAHOO!!! Congrats and welcome to the club! Hoping they both stick for you!!! Twins are the best! As for the protocol, it seems very strange to me if you are pregnant that he wants you to keep taking the estrogen. For me, we switched to Crinone gel after the transfer. Oral prometrium really is not enough progesterone support for an IVF cycle in my humble opinion. Either Crinone or progesterone in oil is what is commonly given. Neither is inexpensive but it’s a good idea, especially if you’re carrying two in there.

[QUOTE=silverbrumby]Latina, WAHOO!!! Congrats and welcome to the club! Hoping they both stick for you!!! Twins are the best! As for the protocol, it seems very strange to me if you are pregnant that he wants you to keep taking the estrogen. For me, we switched to Crinone gel after the transfer. Oral prometrium really is not enough progesterone support for an IVF cycle in my humble opinion. Either Crinone or progesterone in oil is what is commonly given. Neither is inexpensive but it’s a good idea, especially if you’re carrying two in there.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.
He wants to do vaginal prometrium? 100mg twice daily.

Way to go Latina!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

I used vaginal prometrium for my IVF cycles and crinone for the FETs. I just looked up what the prometrium dose was - 200 mg three times daily. Some supplementation is a good idea, even if pricey!

We are home safe and sound here and Abigail is doing better each day - moving around more and more and gradually more herself. The nights are a disaster, though (much like last time), with constant waking up and sometimes waking up screaming. I don’t think I’ve been so tired since she was brand new!

Welcome home, Abigail! I hope it’s the last surgery for a long, long time.