So confused and upset after first u/s

Hi everyone. So we had our first u/s yesterday morning. I was really, really nervous about the whole thing. Our little bean is in the right place, thank god… but when the RE came into the room, she said that she was concerned by my #s. She said that they were on the low side for someone who is 6 weeks… 2 things - first according to the RE’s nurse who called me on 10/15, she said I was 3 weeks, 2 days pregnant at that time… that would make me 5 weeks, 3 days, right?? Not according to the RE. She is now telling me that I am actually 6 weeks. They saw one sac and the yolk sac. The re said that she believes that this pregnancy will end with a m/c. I just :pray: so much that she is wrong. My beta #s did jump a lot this time… so maybe that’s a good sign? I really thought they were on track this whole time. I was a little worried they were on the lower side compared to other peoples, but they were going up the way they were supposed to. I don’t know… I am really trying to keep positive… DH says that until we know otherwise, we are going to just have to believe that everything will work out. It’s just really hard when the RE was pretty negative about the whole thing. I am supposed to go back for u/s #2 either Thursday or Friday of next week… I thought the 2ww was hard… this is going to be the longest week of my life. The RE basically said that we’d know in the next couple of weeks if the pregnancy will be viable. :cross: :pray: :cross: :pray: that all goes well.

Keeping you in my prayers

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I think that is an awful thing for the RE to say. I believe that a positive mind set is key in this whole process. I really dont think that you should have any extra stress or worry in such a critical time in your pregnancy.

Please keep you head up and your hopes high. Like you said your little bean was right in place.

I am truly happy that you have someone (dh) to be supportive and be strong with you along the way!

:pray: for the best and :bsv:

I have to agree with the previous poster, what a negative RE. If the numbers are going up, why is she saying the pregnancy will not be viable. Geez, I would have kept my mouth shut if I had been the RE and just wait and see what happens.You did see the gestational and yolk sac , so that is a great sign! I am :pray: for you and your little bean!

Sorry you got such scary news!! But stay positive and we’ll :pray: that everything turns out ok!

I hope that you prove them wrong! I would also give them a piece of my mind.
:babydust:

Don’t Loose Hope!

MGK ~ First let me say I’m sorry you are having to go through all this extra worry! Second, let me say your RE is a MORON for making the statements she made and making you worry…lol. Even if she had concerns, there is no definitive data that says you are going to MC, unless she knows something else that she didn’t share. But based on your numbers and US, it doesn’t sound like a MC is a certainity by any means.

Let’s clarify how far along you are first. I had IUI on 9/29, and you had yours 3 days later, so you are three days behind me. Yesterday, I was 6w3d which would make you exactly 6 weeks yesterday, so she was right on that account. They usually calculate how many weeks you are based on when you had the IUI/ovulated. In regard to your numbers, they are very similar to mine so I compared them below for you, so you could see how similar they are:

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] [U]Me [/U] [U]You[/U][/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]13dpiui ? 30[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]14dpiui 54.2 ?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]15dpiui ? ? [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]16dpiui 185 160[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]17dpiui ? ? [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]18dpiui ? ?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]19dpiui 664 ?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]20dpiui ? 665[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]21dpiui ? ?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]22dpiui ? ?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]23dpiui 2211 ?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]24dpui ? ?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]25dpiui ? 4660[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3](keep in mind hcg levels that are under 1200 take 48-72hrs to double, and levels between 1200 -6000 can take up to 96 hours to double.)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]At 6w2d, I had an US and I saw a HB. However, they warned me before hand that it might be too early to see one, so the fact that you didn’t see one at 6 weeks on the nose does not mean it’s over, it could very well have been just a little too early! And it’s totally possible that you will see a HB next week. Also, given our comparison above, I seriously don’t believe your numbers alone are reason to believe you will MC. My numbers are very close to yours and my RE says everything looks great! Based on your last number your numbers are doubling better than mine now! So unless your RE is basing her opinion on something else, like size of the sac or some hormone levels that she didn’t mention, I think you still have a ton of room for hope that this pregnancy will be successful![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I hope you find all this info and comparison helpful! Your husband is right, until proven otherwise you should stay positive that this pregnancy is progressing just fine! Your RE should know better than to tell you something so horrible without presenting more facts to back it up, and if your numbers is all she has, she shouldn’t have said anything at all![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I will be hoping and praying that everything turns out alright! Good luck at your US this week…and I know it will seem like forever until the end of the week, just try to stay positive and visualize the best possible outcome!! Hang in there!!![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Shelly[/SIZE][/FONT]

I wanted to speak on how far along you are. From looking at your signature it looks like you had your IUI on 10/2. If that is correct than you are considered to already be 2 weeks pregnant on that day since the procedure did end with a BFP. So if counting 10/2 as week 2 then

10/9 = week 3
10/16 = week 4
10/23 = week 5
10/30 = week 6 at the time of your u/s

I my RE said she always does the first u/s at 6w3d because by then you should see the heartbeat. I’m going to suggest that you’re RE is wrong and if your next u/s is at least a week later then you should see a h/b. Also, if you beta is continuing to rise then I think your RE is wrong.

the other girls are correct and you are 6 weeks along AND your RE is absolutely wrong to give you that kind of negative news. 6 weeks is too early to see a HB… if she waited a few more days then you might have seen it (we saw ours at 6w2d and they said that was early). And it is great that you saw both the sac and yolk! I had a u/s with DS at 5w6d and we could barely see the yolk…

I also looked at your signature and just wanted to let you know that it IS possible to get pregnant from follicles on the ovary that doesn’t have a tube (look at my signature :slight_smile: )…

Congratulations on your pregnancy! :clap: :preg: :cheer:

I’m so sorry your RE is such a [email protected]$$!! I can’t believe they were so negative!!

All I can say is try and be positive!! I’m with all of the girls here in that I think everything looks great!
:pray: For you!

When my RE done my ultrasound an seen the heartbeat at 6w3d he was very suprize as he said most people don’t see a heartbeat until 7 weeks.

Your RE should had more + then being so - that is BS. Don’t give up as it still early to see the heartbeat. The next you will see it. Yes the waiting is hard but hang in there. I’m very disappointed in what your RE said. They shouldn’t acted like that at all. When a RE is - like that it makes it worse on the person.

:pray: for you hun don’t give up. Sometimes RE can be smart butts.

Melissa,

Please do not worry yourself. Since I have been going through this whole thing the past few days myself with low numbers and so forth I want to say this. I am almost to the point to where I am going to request to be sent to my OB now. With my 2 previous pregnancies I have never been told any numbers on my levels. My OB has told me before not to worry with the numbers to let him do all the work and for me to stay calm and just carry a healthy baby. That is our job right now. To keep our mind and body healthy so we can carry our babies to term. I do not see the need in going to my RE for 10 weeks if all it is going to do is stress me out and make me worry. I would rather go right to my OB.

I think that was a pretty crappy thing of you RE to tell you. As everyone else has posted there is nothing there to proves anything that your RE told you. If you are not spotting, your levels are doubling, and you saw what you did on the u/s then you are doing just fine hun. With both my boys I did not even get a sono until around 8 weeks. I heard the heart beat around 10 to 12 weeks on the doppler in his office. I was never worried about anything like I am going to the RE’s office.

I am going to keep you in my prayers. I do not want you to worry at all. I want you to stay happy and healthy for you and your baby.

It amazes me that REs who do this for a living can be so insensitive. Everything that these ladies are telling you is absolutely correct. My RE also said that you usually won’t see the h eartbeat until 6 1/2 or 7 weeks. When I went for my first u/s, the tech said to the RE that she saw a second sac. He (not my regular RE) said “oh, that is pretty small–I don’t think it will develop.” I was like–uh, that is my baby that you are talking about. And it did develop. I read somewhere that you need to make sure to drink a lot of water in cases like that (which is similar to your situation). I drank 6-8 bottles of water a day for the next week and by my next u/s there were 2 definite heartbeats. Drink water, eat healthy, take your prenatal vitamins and relax until your next u/s–hopefully by then you will be able to see the heartbeat. Hugs :grouphug:

Wow, what a negative thing for your doc to say! At 6wks my US showed a sack and a yolk. Nothing else. At 7 wks, there was a heartbeat. At BEST that u/s should have been a bean count.

Granted, when I saw nothing but a sack I thought it was another blighted and the RE told me to just keep positive until the second U/S. Why? Because he’s done this tons of times and has seen it happen over and over.

Thank you!

Thanks so much everyone! I do feel better… and I am really trying to keep positive about things. I am just going to listen to you guys and DH and trust that everything is going to be alright until I know for sure otherwise. I really am a little mad at the RE also! I was just in shock when she was talking on Saturday because all along the nurses I spoke to were saying that my #s looked good, they were doubling the way that they should be. I was most worried that the bean would be in the right spot, not that there were any other issues at this point. I am so grateful to have you ladies to lean on. Thank you again for your input.

MGK ~ Haven’t seen a post from you, but saw your updated signature saying you saw a HB today! YEAHHHHHHHHHH! So happy for you. I just knew your RE was jumping the gun! So excited for you…can’t wait to hear your progression. So glad to see it went well!! Congratulations…you are gonna be a mommy!!! Take care of you, and good luck at the next US!

Wonderful news !!! Yay!!:clap:

Thanks for updating this thread Urso! :wink:

Thanks so much UrsoGirl! Work was NUTS yesterday so I didn’t get a chance to get on line a lot.

I was sooooo happy. DH wasn’t able to come with me. I was all alone and really scared that the RE was going to say that there was no heartbeat. She walked into the office with a med student… I thought: “Great, I’m going to have to hear this news in front of someone I don’t even know…” I was a little upset, but it’s a teaching hospital so it’s happened once before. I was just on edge, you know. Anyway, RE’s face when she walked into the room was VERY somber. She looked almost as worried as I felt. Then she did the u/s and said “Wait - I see a heartbeat!” She saw the baby also. Said that I was measuring a few days behind what she’d expect to see but that things looked good now! She did appologize to me also for causing DH and I to worry. I did really appreciate that. It was just such a roller coaster! I’m still not totally convinced that all will work out, but I do have so much more hope now!

We’re both gonna be mommies! Good luck to you also!!

See everything turned out Great… When you had the first us it was just to early for the heartbeat to been seen yet. It just had to have a few more days for it to be seen.

So glad everything turned out great… Now relax enjoy being :preg: because time will fly by fast… Here we’re already buying stuff for baby as not many more months to go.

Have a Happy Healthy :preg:

Bless You.:cheer: