SoCal IVFer's

Hi-

I wanted to connect with others who are cycling in Southern California! There are so many great forums on fertility community and I thought one was needed for us.

I am a veteran IVFer with my first IVF at age 34. I started out with 20 AFC and ended up w 1 5 day blast and figured that was great! I had no idea that wasn’t good odds. Of course it worked and now we’ve been TTC #2 for the past 3 years.

I just completed my 4th IVF at CCRM but no normals and thus no transfer. Because CCRM is so expensive, we are considering another cycle in the LA area with either OE or DE. I waiver each day!

I look forward to sharing this journey with others : )

Thx and :babydust:

Hey! Im a SoCal IVFer. But i’ll be doing it though the military at Balboa Hospital. This will be my first. I am support to start AF on July 3rd, then i’ll go in for bloodwork on the 6th and start BCPs. Then i am to have another SIS (older than a year). Then i’ll be waiting on further instructions. It might be late July or early Aug for me.

Goodluck to you!!

I just completed by first IVF and am in the excruciating wait to see the heartbeat. I live in Ventura County but my RE’s main office is in Beverly Hills - Southern California Reproductive Center. They have a local office in Ventura for monitoring, but you have to go to the main office for ER and ET, which was a pain.

We had our first DS via IUI at a different RE - HRC in Westlake Village.

Do you have any idea of which SoCal RE’s you’re looking at? There are a lot to choose from at least. Just traffic might not be the best.

missingmy#2 -

Hello! I like your screen name! That is exactly how I feel. I hope all your blood work and AF etc go smoothly and you will be on your way. GL and :cross:

agr72 -

hello also! the wait between the beta and U/S appts was always super tough for me too. I hope the time goes by quick and you fly threw the months ahead. I didn’t know SCRC had a monitoring center in ventura. I went to them for my monitoring while i did treatment at CCRM. I haven’t worked with HRC but have heard about them. I am wondering though why you switched? As for my next steps i’m not sure if i will head back to one of the RE’s I already have worked with or search out a new one. Its frustrating because their is no perfect clinic and no perfect RE. I can find pro and con about all three of the places i’ve worked with and four if you count my monitoring at SCRC. I’d love to hear though about your experience and what your thoughts are. One frustration for me locally has been its hard to connect with others. My first RE was very against the internet and so for my first two IVF’s i was pretty much alone. I then started to do my own research after (2) RPL and that is how i found this forum.

EOE - I just wanted to see if any others are out there lurking, would love to have you join us :slight_smile: :babydust:

HCG and/or embryo glue

Hi me again…

Just wondering if anyone’s SoCal RE is using HCG to increase implantation?

I’ve heard from others (not local in SoCal) their RE injects hcg into the uterus prior to transfer in order to increase implantation.

Here is an article from online…
Intra-uterine hCG at Embryo Transfer: “Jump-Starting” the Implantation Process | CNY Fertility Center

Just curious if anyone has tried this or has a RE who is using it?

Also, I was hoping to make it to transfer at CCRM but I didn’t :(. A nurse told me they use “embryo glue” she said that is the layman’s term. I also read about it in Dr Schoolcrafts book but I’m not sure what it is. Does anyone know about this and if their RE uses it?

EmbryoGlue® - Vitrolife

Thx!!!

beta 3 integrin biopsy

Another question…

At CCRM my RE tested me for the Beta 3 Integrin Biopsy test. I requested the test because my CCRM RE felt that since I had one child and RPL that implantation wasn’t a issue. But on the CCRM girls I met some other patients who also had a child and had the testing done, due to Endo, and lacked the protein. I tested negative (you want to be positive to HAVE the protein) and I just wondered if anyone else locally has done this test and been treated with Lupron Depot?

If you are unfamiliar with the test and have had repeated IVF failures and/or endometriosis it would be something to look into. I had heard about it from other internet contacts when I was cycling locally but my RE wasn’t a proponent for it, saying the results were not reliable. CCRM is a huge advocate of it and i didn’t see any negative to doing it. The only issue now is since i want to work locally again, i wondering if any RE’s are using? I worked with Dr Schoolcraft at CCRM and he told me their data confirms it helps increase pregnancy rates.

Female Infertility Treatment Options & Unexplained Infertility | Endometriosis Treatment Options - Stages, Causes & Diagnosis | Uterine Lining, Endometrial Biopsy & Tissue

Well, the wait for one u/s is over (we saw the heartbeat today, YAY! But also an SCH, boo!), but now I go back in two more weeks for a check. The never ending cycle of u/s until you get the all clear at 12 weeks. :wink:

I shouldn’t speak badly of HRC, since I did get pregnant with my DS there via IUI, but we were in the process of looking for a new RE when we found out I was pregnant. We were ready to move onto IVF and didn’t like the attention to detail at HRC (although this could just be how IUI patients are treated and IVF would be different. And there are many HRC offices, so not sure if they are run differently). Plus, I started looking at SART stats and realized that HRCs success rates were mostly for younger women whose issue was male factor. They didn’t have that many older women with DOR, which is my issue.

So I see Dr. Mark Surrey at SCRC now. I have not heard of anyone doing the beta 3 integrin test here, but I haven’t asked about it either. I wonder if Dr. Surrey would be open to it since I think his brother is at CCRM (Dr. Eric Surrey)? Also, they did not offer the embryo glue or hcg at ET. But then I was pregnant last year and have not had any losses or BFN IVF cycles, so maybe they save that for harder cases.

Good luck in your research, bagelmomma!

Agr72-
Hooray!!! Congrats on the HB! That is great news : ). Sorry about the SCH but at least they are on top of it. I was very impressed w my U/S tech at SCRC BH she explained things to me in detail and was very professional.

I understand about speaking badly… Each clinic I’ve been too has had ups and downs. I wish I could take a lab from one, RE from another and another’s nurses & billing and combine it into my perfect clinic. I think u r correct that IUI patients don’t get as much oversight. I did a few IUI at my OB and 1 at my RE and felt the same.

As for success rates, I was checking HRC and noticed over 50% of their cases are MF. I was surprised, I can think of no other clinic with that high of a percentage. Also their SART stats are only listed for 2010 & 2011 yet they are one of the older RE groups in SoCal. I don’t understand why they only list 2 yrs of results. I was interested in talking to them but that only 2 yrs of sart makes me nervous.

I hear mixed things about Mark Surrey but mostly positive. Im glad he is helping you :slight_smile: GL

[QUOTE=agr72]Well, the wait for one u/s is over (we saw the heartbeat today, YAY! But also an SCH, boo!), but now I go back in two more weeks for a check. The never ending cycle of u/s until you get the all clear at 12 weeks. :wink:

I shouldn’t speak badly of HRC, since I did get pregnant with my DS there via IUI, but we were in the process of looking for a new RE when we found out I was pregnant. We were ready to move onto IVF and didn’t like the attention to detail at HRC (although this could just be how IUI patients are treated and IVF would be different. And there are many HRC offices, so not sure if they are run differently). Plus, I started looking at SART stats and realized that HRCs success rates were mostly for younger women whose issue was male factor. They didn’t have that many older women with DOR, which is my issue.

So I see Dr. Mark Surrey at SCRC now. I have not heard of anyone doing the beta 3 integrin test here, but I haven’t asked about it either. I wonder if Dr. Surrey would be open to it since I think his brother is at CCRM (Dr. Eric Surrey)? Also, they did not offer the embryo glue or hcg at ET. But then I was pregnant last year and have not had any losses or BFN IVF cycles, so maybe they save that for harder cases.

Good luck in your research, bagelmomma![/QUOTE]

stim protocol

agr72-

i wondered if you could share the stim protocol Dr Surrey put you on for your last IVF? How many blasts did you get and how many did you transfer? DId you have any to freeze? DId you do any testing on the blasts? Why or why not?

I just did a aggressive protocol at CCRM and I think for me it wasn’t good for my egg quality. I always had 5 day blasts in my first three IVF’s but this last one I did not.

The protocol was:
Priming - estrogen, testosterone and progesterone
Stims:
150 menopur
300 Follistim
Clomid
Ganirelix

I had 18 eggs retrieved which was great. 13 were mature and 9 fertilized. Only (3) blasts though, (2) day 6 and (1) day 7. I was really sad. In my IVF 3 I had (9) 5 day blasts and in IVF 2 I had (4) 5 day blasts. Not sure what happened to me other than the meds not being a good fit for my eggs.

Thanks!!!

My protocol was pretty aggressive too. Really the max amount of stims I was willing to do. I did:

Lupron - started 10 days after ovulation. I think…

Testosterone priming - this was for 5 days before the start of stims. Using patches I wore 8 hrs at night. Kind of got messed up because my cycle got delayed a week. So basically I testosterone primed, but not immediately at the start of my cycle like I was supposed to.

300 follistim, 150 menopur, reduced amount of Lupron, and Omnitrope (human growth hormone). I stimmed for 12 days. Did the Omnitrope for the first 8 days.

I had 7 eggs retrieved, 6 mature. I had some other small follicles too, but we couldn’t wait around for them. Only 3 fertilized with ICSI. I was totally crushed. But all of them made it to blast. The one I transferred was hatched and graded an “A” by the lab, which Dr. Surrey says they never do. The other two were good enough to freeze by Day 6.

We did not do testing, basically because we were too cheap to toss in another $5K on top of the +$16K we were already spending. And I didn’t think we’d get enough blasts to make the cost worth while w/o doing a second cycle and banking.

I only transferred the one Grade A blast. RE gave me the option to transfer a second one (on day of transfer he thought only one of them would be good enough to freeze, so he offered to put that one back too). I made the call to only put back the one b/c we already have our DS and really didn’t want twins from this cycle.

I have really low AMH (0.32), so the low number of eggs did not surprise me. And I lost 1/2 of my left ovary when I had a dermoid cyst removed, so I don’t get much production from the left side. On my IUI cycles in 2011, I got 3 follies from 150 follistim and 100 mg clomid. So maxing out on stims didn’t really get us much more. I think there is something to be said for going for quality over quantity. One of the +40 yr old ladies I cycled with got 42 eggs this last time. None of her blasts tested normal.

Have you tried HGH? Its supposed to help egg quality. Who knows…maybe its the reason that the only embryos I got actually made it to blast.

Hello, I’m new to this site and infertility in general. Just found out I have 1 possibly 2 blocked tubes. I’m 37 and hubby is 29 TTC for 1 year. I’m devastated. I’m most likely going to start IVF next month. I thought I would just need IUI but this new info is a little hard to digest. Good luck you SoCal ladies. I hope to be cycling with you soon :pray:

agr72 -
Wow Dr Surrey went for it! Interesting to see how aggressive he decided to go on your IVF and even better is the result that you are :preg: ! I have read that the stats favor aggressive protocols but of course each of us is unique. Thanks so much for sharing this. I forgot to mention before that I did use HGH (saizen). I also used Omnitrope before too. I think they helped but unf no preg :frowning:

stew1030 - :welcome:

I’m so sorry about the news regarding your tubes. At least though it sounds like a course has been charted and hopefully you are many steps closer to getting pregnant : ) If you are new to IVF it can be very scary at first but it is the best miracle if it works : ) GL to you and welcome again : ) :cross: for your next steps.

hello

Hi-

The forum was down for so long today! Glad its back up :slight_smile: Any news out there from the SoCal IVFer’s?

I had acupuncture today and am feeling a bit down. They said my low body temp indicates my body isn’t able to develop “healthy” eggs. Of course they say it can be “addressed/ fixed” but will take time. Why does everything take time?!

I’m feeling down though because its been 3 years now TTC for #2 and i’m starting to feel like it may not happen. I hope some other people out there are reading this and can tell me it can happen. Dreams come true right? This is America, anything is possible right?

Okay, thanks for allowing me to vent!

Blast quality & Sperm at days 3-5

Hello everyone -

Just wondering if anyone has any info from their RE about blast quality and the impact of sperm during days 3-5 after fertilization?

We just had a IVF in which 9 eggs fertilized , 9 embryo’s on Day 3 and then by Day 5, 5 embryo’s arrested and we ended up with (2) day 6 blasts and (1) day 7 blast.

Our RE said it was only an egg quality issue but i’ve heard from others sperm is the factor from days 3-5.

Just wondered what others are hearing from their RE’s.

Thanks!