Sonohysterogram (SSH, saline sono, hysterosonogram, saline infusion sonogram) Pain?

We had our 3rd IUI on December 15th, on cycle day 13, after a CD 11 Ovidrel trigger and Letrazole on CD 3-7. Monitoring showed left ovary with 1 follicle at 20mm, right ovary with 1 @ 18.5 mm. Uterine lining 8 mm.

After the IUI, whilst reclining in my stirrups and chatting oh-so-naturally with my husband and RE fully dressed and myself…less so…we discussed what’s next.

We made the decision to do one more IUI cycle with more aggressive stimulation in January, then to begin an IVF cycle in February if I’m still not with child.

We’re fortunate to have insurance coverage for ONE IVF cycle, and because I’ve had 2 D&Cs in the past, she (my RE) suggested a saline Sonohysterography to rule out any uterine abnormalities.

I had an HSG at the beginning of the IUI journey, and Good Lord of Oreos - that was painful.

Can you please walk me through your experiences with a SSH? Is there pain? Was it in the office? What was the sensation compared to, say, an IUI or an HSG?

Thanks in advance

I would like to know this too. My RE told me today that before I have my IVF in the spring that I will have to have a SSH. I’m not sure why if the IVF bypasses the tubes, but whatever. I’m just going with the flow at this point.

PS DH and I loved your Good Lord of Oreos comment!

Easy Peasy

I had one of these at my very first RE appointment. He did the transvaginal ultrasound while at the same time inserting an itty bitty catheter into the cervix and injecting saline. I really didn’t feel much at all besides a bit of pressure when he injected the saline. I had very mild, almost unnoticeable cramps for an hour or two afterwards and a bit of leakage. The only reason I even noticed the cramps was because the RE told me that I might have some so I was overanalyzing every little feeling. I wouldn’t worry about a thing. From what I’ve heard about HSG, the saline sonogram is much, much easier.

Oh, and AmyWyatt- the saline sonogram isn’t to look at the tubes. It assesses the uterus to see if there are any abnormalities in shape, size, fibroids, etc… The reason they do a saline ultrasound after a miscarriage is to make sure that the previously implanted embryo didn’t leave behind any tissue in the uterus that might interfere with the implantation of another embryo.

Hope that helps. :babydust:

so…(sorry)…you have an ultrasound wand in your vagina, as well as a catheter inserted into your cervix? is the catheter 1st, then the wand, then the plunger pushing the saline?

I had one before my 4th IUI, there was no pain. The HSG is worse than any pain i’ve ever had. This was nothing what so ever.

Musicgal- Thanks for the info. My RE didn’t go into much depth about the procedure- she just said it was something similar to a HSG so I figured it looked at the same thing.

is the ssh the same as a mock embroyo transfer… the mock embroyo transfer is when they look at your uterus and take depth, and anything else… they also put saline to see whats going inside…

hsg, ssh, they all begin seem to be the same

MontanaJen- I think its the ultrasound wand, then the catheter but I’m not sure how they pushed the saline. It was over before I even knew he had done it but I assume that they attach a syringe to the end of the catheter and just inject. It took maybe 3 minutes altogether and that included counting my antral follicles before the saline injection.

is the ssh the same as a mock embroyo transfer… the mock embroyo transfer is when they look at your uterus and take depth, and anything else… they also put saline to see whats going inside…

hsg, ssh, they all begin seem to be the same

Take Aleve an hour before the procedure!

I had the HSG (the one where dye is inserted into the uterus and forced up into the tubes, watched by u/s) in August and was told by several friends that it was horribly painful. I took one Aleve an hour before hand, and only felt very mild cramping within 15 minutes of the procedure…the pain and discomfort was so minimal, I couldn’t understand what the fuss was all about.

I was told to take Tylenol by the doctors, but a gf who had the procedure done twice (!) said Aleve is way better than Advil or Tylenol for cramping of any kind.

I was told the same thing, but I’ve gotta say, the HSG was absolute torture for me. The dye being pushed in was like sharp knives through my gut, and being pushed further through the tubes was even worse.

I mentioned this torture to my RE, her nurse, and the LNP, and all three said “oh yeah - the HSG is by far the worse thing we put you through…it’s awful.”

For the saline procedure, I will definitely take some Aleve - and maybe even ask for a valium!

OK - that information really sets my mind at ease. My RE has been ultra careful and easy with me, all my IUIs have been without pain or discomfort at all, so I hope this will be just as easy…thank so much for responding!

This is an old thread but I’m bumping it anyway! Yay for the “search” function! If this cycle is a bust I will be having the sonohysterogram to check for abnormalities and/or fibroids, endometriomas, etc. I am relieved to hear that it is not as bad as the HSG because that was just awful.

It sounds like this is a quick procedure so hopefully I won’t have to take time off of work!

[quote=MontanaJen]We had our 3rd IUI on December 15th, on cycle day 13, after a CD 11 Ovidrel trigger and Letrazole on CD 3-7. Monitoring showed left ovary with 1 follicle at 20mm, right ovary with 1 @ 18.5 mm. Uterine lining 8 mm.

After the IUI, whilst reclining in my stirrups and chatting oh-so-naturally with my husband and RE fully dressed and myself…less so…we discussed what’s next.

We made the decision to do one more IUI cycle with more aggressive stimulation in January, then to begin an IVF cycle in February if I’m still not with child.

We’re fortunate to have insurance coverage for ONE IVF cycle, and because I’ve had 2 D&Cs in the past, she (my RE) suggested a saline Sonohysterography to rule out any uterine abnormalities.

I had an HSG at the beginning of the IUI journey, and Good Lord of Oreos - that was painful.

Can you please walk me through your experiences with a SSH? Is there pain? Was it in the office? What was the sensation compared to, say, an IUI or an HSG?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

HSG was painless for me and IUI too.Saline Sonogram,I experienced a pinch for few seconds but it was bearable.

[quote=MontanaJen]I was told the same thing, but I’ve gotta say, the HSG was absolute torture for me. The dye being pushed in was like sharp knives through my gut, and being pushed further through the tubes was even worse.

I mentioned this torture to my RE, her nurse, and the LNP, and all three said “oh yeah - the HSG is by far the worse thing we put you through…it’s awful.”

For the saline procedure, I will definitely take some Aleve - and maybe even ask for a valium![/quote]

Very strange to know this.My HSG was painless and the same was in case of my SIL. I think nowadays they have the latest equipment to use,the nurse doing my HSG was telling me.It was quick and painless.

I think the amount of pain from an HSG depends on how much pressure the Doc has to put on the fluid to get it to flow through the tubes. Sometimes the tubes will react by spasms and thus they have to put more pressure on the fluid to push the fluid through. The same is true for those with a mild blockage that can be cleared with a little pressure.

In my case, my tubes were clear, but my Doc had to put more pressure on the fluid then usual to get it through my tubes. It was extremely painful. I have delivered three children and I liken it to the worst labor pain imaginable. The only thing that made it bearable was the fact that I took Lamaze classes and was able to breathe through it and the fact that it was only like 5 minutes of pain. They do try to be quick with it and put the least amount of pressure on the fluid they can get away with because they know it is painful for the majority.

I am having a Saline Sono tomorrow in prep for IVF and after my experience with the HSG, like many, I am dreading it and hoping the pain isn’t like that from the HSG.

[QUOTE=ahhny]I think the amount of pain from an HSG depends on how much pressure the Doc has to put on the fluid to get it to flow through the tubes. Sometimes the tubes will react by spasms and thus they have to put more pressure on the fluid to push the fluid through. The same is true for those with a mild blockage that can be cleared with a little pressure.

In my case, my tubes were clear, but my Doc had to put more pressure on the fluid then usual to get it through my tubes. It was extremely painful. I have delivered three children and I liken it to the worst labor pain imaginable. The only thing that made it bearable was the fact that I took Lamaze classes and was able to breathe through it and the fact that it was only like 5 minutes of pain. They do try to be quick with it and put the least amount of pressure on the fluid they can get away with because they know it is painful for the majority.

I am having a Saline Sono tomorrow in prep for IVF and after my experience with the HSG, like many, I am dreading it and hoping the pain isn’t like that from the HSG.[/QUOTE]

Let me know! I also thought the HSG was painful…

[QUOTE=Slopes]Let me know! I also thought the HSG was painful…[/QUOTE]

Hey Slopes: how are ya girl? Yeah I have my Saline Sono later this morning. I will let you know how it goes. They told me I didn’t need to do anything to prep. whereas with the HSG they told me to take IB the night before and an hour prior to it, but that was not enough so I am doing IB for the Saline Sono too. I actually considered taking something stronger, but I want to be able to drive there safely so…

:cross: it isn’t like the HSG. I will let you know this afternoon though.

[QUOTE=ahhny]Hey Slopes: how are ya girl? Yeah I have my Saline Sono later this morning. I will let you know how it goes. They told me I didn’t need to do anything to prep. whereas with the HSG they told me to take IB the night before and an hour prior to it, but that was not enough so I am doing IB for the Saline Sono too. I actually considered taking something stronger, but I want to be able to drive there safely so…

:cross: it isn’t like the HSG. I will let you know this afternoon though.[/QUOTE]

Hi! It’s good to hear from you! I really hope it’s not as painful as the HSG. My RE recommended IB before the procedure though.