Sperm donor of same ethnicity?

Hi there,

So I am just in the beginning stages of moving forward with sperm donation IUI as a single female in Alberta Canada. After my first appointment I was told that I must choose a sperm donor of the same ethnicity as myself. I am Caucasian, however, I do not date Caucasian so I would not choose a Caucasian donor. I am wondering if anyone can answer for me whether this is the case in all provinces in Canada or if this is the case in the United States? I am willing to travel to another area to achieve the future I want and am scared to move forward with a facility that dictates the race of my child. Please help!

Hi Stone,

I’m not in Canada, so I cannot answer for that, but they didn’t talk to me about ethnicity at all (in the US). In fact, my donor is mixed, and our second choice is also mixed. Ethnicity was not high on our list of characteristics we cared about.

in the US there was never any talk about ethnicity.
The donor we ended up using is white but not of the same background as myself or my husband either.
You pick what ever donor you want. The only requirement at our RE back when we first started was that we see a counselor prior to using donors. But I don’t think that is standard

Thank you

Thanks a lot for the replies. We definitely have to see a shrink and get psych approved prior to moving forward here as well but to know that this is a Canadian requirement, makes my decision easier. I am headed to the US for the next apt. Thanks a lot.:clap:

[QUOTE=stonelarissa82]Hi there,

So I am just in the beginning stages of moving forward with sperm donation IUI as a single female in Alberta Canada. After my first appointment I was told that I must choose a sperm donor of the same ethnicity as myself. I am Caucasian, however, I do not date Caucasian so I would not choose a Caucasian donor. I am wondering if anyone can answer for me whether this is the case in all provinces in Canada or if this is the case in the United States? I am willing to travel to another area to achieve the future I want and am scared to move forward with a facility that dictates the race of my child. Please help![/QUOTE]

They are trying to dictate your child’s race? I have never heard of such a thing! maybe it is just your clinic? Either way, I think that’s super weird. l

I agree that it’s a bit odd that they won’t let you choose. It was never even discussed with us. They gave us names of cryobanks they typically worked with and told us to pick and they would order it for us. We chose to use a donor with similar physical characteristics to DH simply to avoid having a child that resembled neither of us (we are both blonde with blue eyes so we wanted similar coloring for our child to avoid people making their own assumptions about where baby came from, i guess).

I hope you can have the baby you want without running into any roadblocks here in the States. Good luck!

Very weird, and I don’t think there is any legislation that covers this. I suspect it’s the personal views of the person you were speaking to, and I’d try a different clinic if I were you.