Success with genetically competent Grade BC embryo? So worried!

Hi girls, I am a poor responder due to diminished ovarian reserve and have been through three IVF retrievals for embryo banking with CCS testing. In the end we had a total of 6 embryos make it to blast stage and biopsy (day 5 or 6 blasts). We have 3 chromosomally normal embryos: 2 from my third cycle (different protocol–EPP/omnitrope) and one from my second cycle. Although I was really hoping for 4 normals, I was so excited to hear we had 3 but then crushed when I learned that the embryo from my second cycle that was normal was our worst graded embryo (5BC). I also had a 5AB and 5BB that cycle, so I had assumed it was one of the better embryos that was normal. I am trying to feel optomistic and grateful for the progress we have made, but am so scared. Has anyone had success with an embryo with this low of a grade? I already love this little guy (our only boy) and am so sad/scared. Meeting with our RE today to decide what to transfer. Thanks for listening. This is all just so overwhelming and hard sometimes.

Ali

Hi! I’m now almost 10 weeks pregnant with my grade 4BC embryo. Like you, I was super worried about the grade (both of mine were BC grades, we froze one and transferred one) but everything worked out. :slight_smile: Keep your chin up!

[QUOTE=vwelyn;n2602882]Hi! I’m now almost 10 weeks pregnant with my grade 4BC embryo. Like you, I was super worried about the grade (both of mine were BC grades, we froze one and transferred one) but everything worked out. :slight_smile: Keep your chin up![/QUOTE]

Thank you and congratulations!!! How did you make the decision to transfer only one? I would consider that because somehow “using up” the embryos I have spent so long trying to get terrifies me, as do twins really, but I’d be very happy to make peace with that if it could only work! :wink:

Hi! I’m now almost 10 weeks pregnant with my grade 4BC embryo. Like you, I was super worried about the grade (both of mine were BC grades, we froze one and transferred one) but everything worked out. :slight_smile: Keep your chin up!

We will only get the option of transferring at most 2 normal embryos. Remember if you have a concern with multiples that there is an even higher change of an embryo splitting since the embryo went through ICSI and then the biopsy process. So they are pre-hatched as well. So those 2 could become 3. I had this same concern during IVF 3 when we had done embryo banking for CCS and only 1 of our normals made it to Transfer. If the RE is comfortable with transferring 1 SET see what happens and save the other for another FET if that is needed. Best of luck to you.

[QUOTE=My11:11wish;n2602888]If you’ve been in this IVF world long enough you will see that high grades don’t necessarily make good embryos and visa versa. The grading is based on the dividing and just because something is quick to divide doesn’t mean its good. I put in a 5 day B+ blast and had a chemical. Had I had the genetic testing they would not have put that one in as it was the embryo and not my body that caused the chemical. If you’ve already had the testing done and they are normal than you should be good to go :slight_smile: Plus your in the age range when half being normal is actually the norm so I think being 37 and having 3 normal embryos you have a very good chance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that is really reassuring. Good luck to you with the upcoming FET!

Heartsick4girl,

Yes, sorry I wasn’t more clear. We would transfer either 1 or 2 embryos (not all three). Triplets were a big concern. My RE said it’s very rare to have that happen (< 1%) and their clinic hasn’t had it happen in the last several years (I guess they have decreased the numbers that they will transfer now).

Also, My11:11Wish is right, apparently it doesn’t really matter what the grade is if the embryo is chromosomally normal. My RE thinks we shouldn’t worry about the grade. I’m very relieved, but still not sure which ones to transfer. Right now thinking of doing the 5AA girl and 5BC boy. It seems that the success rates for CCS tested embryos were 70-80% with transferring 2 embryos (with around a 50% risk of twins) and 50-60% with single embryo transfers. It’s just all so confusing to know what to do. But at least I have options and it seems the chances are finally in my favor. I was initially given a 20% chance of success, so we’re so happy to have gotten to this stage.

Those are great odds all around! Which ones do your clinic recommend transferring? I’m only 34, but my clinic was pretty strongly advocating only transferring one. They said that transferring two would only increase our chances of getting pregnant by 5%, but our chances of multiples by 50%. I’m glad we followed their advice, as we are now 23 weeks along with one beautiful baby. If you transfer two and the cycle doesn’t work, you only have one left for next time. Plus, these are high quality embryos that have been tested. Ours was only a 3AB with no testing.

Are you specifically hoping for boy or girl? If I was you, I’d probably do the 5AA girl…odds look pretty good there, and you still have two to transfer later if the cycle doesn’t work for some reason. But, the doctors obviously know a lot more than I would. In any case, it sounds like you have some great embies to work with and I smell a BFP of one form or another in your life soon :slight_smile: Best wishes!!

Hello! So glad I found this board. I also have a 5BC blast that I will be transferring in October! My other normal blast is a 5BB. I asked my RE about transferring both and he said the last time he transferred 2 CGH tested normals with the same grade the woman had twins so he strongly suggested an SET (single egg transfer) unless I really want twins. DH is terrified of twins so we will be transferring our 5BC which is also a boy. :flower: Best wishes to you Hopeful!

[QUOTE=hopefulfamilytoo;n2602880]Hi girls, I am a poor responder due to diminished ovarian reserve and have been through three IVF retrievals for embryo banking with CCS testing. In the end we had a total of 6 embryos make it to blast stage and biopsy (day 5 or 6 blasts). We have 3 chromosomally normal embryos: 2 from my third cycle (different protocol–EPP/omnitrope) and one from my second cycle. Although I was really hoping for 4 normals, I was so excited to hear we had 3 but then crushed when I learned that the embryo from my second cycle that was normal was our worst graded embryo (5BC). I also had a 5AB and 5BB that cycle, so I had assumed it was one of the better embryos that was normal. I am trying to feel optomistic and grateful for the progress we have made, but am so scared. Has anyone had success with an embryo with this low of a grade? I already love this little guy (our only boy) and am so sad/scared. Meeting with our RE today to decide what to transfer. Thanks for listening. This is all just so overwhelming and hard sometimes.

Ali[/QUOTE]

Do not worry about grade. It’s almost all based on looks which has zero to do with viability. I’d roll the dice and do them all. At 37, they should be able to put in 2-3 with no problems. I’ve only heard of a couple cases where women had triplets. Almost all had singletons or occasionally twins. All women are have about a 50% chance of being pregnant every month, so I figure you need two just to break even. Probably three to make it a better chance.

Last cycle I had three embryos – one 8AB, 6AB and a 6BB on the third day. Guess what? No babies. This cycle I have ONE 5BB. Who knows? The doctors don’t either. Just get the most numbers you can and hope for the best. (By the way, if you’re over 40 like me, they let you “shoot the moon” – as in implant more than 4 or 5 if you sign a paper.)

It’s your choice, but I would go for all of them! But then again, I really, really want twins!