Surgery :(

So I had my follow-up yesterday with my RE and all my tests came back normal.

E2, prolactin, FSH, LH, etc were all normal.
Tubes are clear and open. Ovaries are of normal size and shape.

The only issue is the little polyp in my uterus.

So my RE recommended that we take it out – as that’s the only thing he can see wrong and could be why I’m having the miscarriages.

Surgery is booked for the end of May! :frowning: and it seems so far away.

He said we can’t TTC until after the surgery… but what do you ladies think? I know he’s an RE and specializes in this so I should probably trust what he says but how can I let two or more cycles go by without trying? What if the polyp isn’t the issue?

What do I do? :frowning:

I just responded to a similar thread the other day. Thought you might be interested in what others told her. Here is the link http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/infertility-support-forum/2020214375-ready-move.html

To answer your question though–I think you should wait and here is why…As you can see from my signature I am currently 26wks pregnant. Recently I started having pink discharge so went to labor and delivery where it was discovered that I have a rather large cervical polyp. Apparently with all the pregnancy hormones this is common. In researching about this I found that there is not alot of research about if they can cause problems or not and if they should be removed or not. Especially during pregnancy, but what I did gain from this is that I am thankful this polyp is in my cervix and NOT in my uterus because there were many more complications arising in the literature from uterine polyps and fibroids in pregnancy than there are with cervical.

SO…I would absolutely have them removed for two reasons 1.) so that there is no possibility of them keeping you from implanting. If the cycle doesn’t work will you question not having them removed and 2.) just so you know they will not interfere with a normal healthy pregnancy and potentially cause complications that could have been avoided had you just waited until they were removed. Why chance it?!

That is my thoughts!

In my case they decided to leave mine alone as they do not want to accidently cause my cervix to bleed or open. However, if it gets much larger they will have to remove it while I am pregnant as it’s size could cause cervical dilation so…this has been a real concern because clearly we don’t want any complications from leaving it, but also don’t want complications from removing it while pregnant. Ugghhh!!!

Going through this–I would have it removed before getting pregnant if I were in this same situation you are currently in because the risks are much higher with uterine polyps than cervical according the the studies I read. Those risks include miscarriage, infection, premature rupture of membranes, premature labor and delivery. Trust me, you do not want the stress if it starts to cause problems that cannot be remedied while pregnant AND you do not want this to be a reason your pregnancy ended too early or caused fetal demise because the polyp caused complications that caused the baby to be born too early. Especially not when you can just wait and have it removed.

I know it is hard to wait, but really this is a situation where you Doc really does know what is best.

Good Luck!

That’s an amazing answer, thank you!

We will wait until after the surgery :slight_smile: rrreeaaalllyyyy sucks lol cbfm showed me my peak this morning too lol told DH no bd for a few days, just to be extra sure there’s no chance of getting pregnant. Lol

I guess two months isn’t do bad :confused: I just hope it’s the reason for my losses.

I really hope all goes well for you! You must be so worried :frowning: ill keep you in my prayers :slight_smile: congrats on having a baby girl! I love pink!

With uterine polyps and fibroids they grow larger during pregnancy because of the pregnancy hormones. Since they are in your uterine cavity, you can have problems with implantation, and even if the embryo implanted later during pregnancy they could cause complications (contraction, premature labor and possibly miscarriage) as they will compete for space with your baby. I have 2 fibroids myself but they are away from the uterine cavity. Even with these my doctor said they could cause contraction and premature labor.

I think it takes three months wait after any uterine surgery to let the uterus heal. Don’t worry about the wait. It will be so worth it knowing you have done everything you can to increase your chances. Good luck!

Thank you for your info :slight_smile:

My RE said we just need to wait until I get my period after the surgery and then we can start trying that cycle :slight_smile: he definitely did not say we have to wait three months! Maybe if you get a D&C it’s three months but I’m getting hysteroscopy. He said I get put under general anesthetic and he inserts a camera through the cervix into my uterus. And from there he removes the polyp. He said it takes less than 40 minutes! And less than 2 days down time :slight_smile: doesn’t seem so bad.

[QUOTE=honeyprayer]Thank you for your info :slight_smile:

My RE said we just need to wait until I get my period after the surgery and then we can start trying that cycle :slight_smile: he definitely did not say we have to wait three months! Maybe if you get a D&C it’s three months but I’m getting hysteroscopy. He said I get put under general anesthetic and he inserts a camera through the cervix into my uterus. And from there he removes the polyp. He said it takes less than 40 minutes! And less than 2 days down time :slight_smile: doesn’t seem so bad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah polyps are a little different than fibroids. They just twist them at their base and they pop right off. I think fibroids are a little more embedded and thus needed more healing time. Polyps usually don’t need a lot of healing time because they only hang by a thread of a blood vessel in most cases and so aren’t fibrous.

ahhny gave a great answer. I’m in your situation–just found a uterine polyp, can’t have surgery for a couple of months still. My RE was very straightforward with me. He told me it was up to me whether we proceed with or without surgery, but that I should know there’s no way to tell how big the risk is for any particular polyp as far as whether it prevents implantation or causes miscarriage. For us, it was very clear that we wanted to wait for the surgery, because especially with all of the fertility stuff we have to go through, I think it would be particularly devastating to feel like there was something I could’ve done to prevent it.
As for the surgery, My recovery time from my lap was not so bad, and I’m hoping it’s similar for this. I haven’t had uterine polyps, but I do have a chronic problem with sinus polyps, and honestly, for those, my ENT just numbs my nasal tissues and pulls them right out. Polyps have a lot of blood flow but not a lot of nerves, so they just come right out. I think they just put you under because the location makes it a bigger deal. So I’d imagine we’ll be sore but our bodies won’t have a whole lot of healing to do to keep us down. :.)
Good luck with yours! I think mine’ll get scheduled for some time in June because I have to build up some sick leave first, and then they have to see where I am in my cycle.

Hi honeyprayer,

I am also dealing with a uterine polyp and fibroid. RE didn’t think polyp would cause problems since it’s so small but I decided I didn’t want to take any chances. Went in for my pre-op appt. yesterday and as long as my cycle shows up on time, surgery is scheduled for April 5th. We will start IUI on the next cycle after the surgery. Good luck and I will let you know how it goes as far as recovery time, but I was also told only a couple of days at most. Luckily, surgery is on a Friday so I shouldn’t need any extra time off.