Teachers and Winter IVF 2010

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to see if there are any teachers out there doing IVF this Winter. I figure we are a unique group. If we want a baby, we have to arrange our baby making when it is convenient like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring and Summer Break. It is either that or arrange a by period sub to cover your appointments. Anyways thought we can offer each other some comfort and company as we go on this roller coaster ride.

AFM: I am going in today for my untrasound and bloodwork this morning. I am excited and nervous.

I teach high school English, and we have been TTC for a year-and-a-half now. We’re not really trying anymore to work the process around our schedules, but it has been killer taking so much time off for ER and ET!! What do you teach?

Teaching

Hello,

This is my first post on this site ever. My DH and I have been TTC for over a year. He is 31 and has a chromosome translocation. I am 30 and healthy (as far as I know). We will be starting IVF in January once his new health insurance kicks in. I am very concerned about taking time off of work (especially since I have been saving up my days for maternity). Ugh, I am not looking forward to this emotional roller coaster!

4th Grade Teacher

Hi there fellow teachers! I am a 4th grade teacher and definitely know all about the stresses of planning office visits around teaching.

I just had my IVF ET yesterday and took three days off. It’s very hard not to feel guilty about not being in school, but as teachers it is rare that we think about ourselves before our students and we at somepoint have to make the switch when TTC.

I have been VERY lucky this year to have a supportive principal and team that has allowed me to take off an our here and an hour there when neccessary.

Glad to converse with other teachers! We are a special breed (teachers and nurses too!).

[quote=Awesometeacher78]Hello,

This is my first post on this site ever. My DH and I have been TTC for over a year. He is 31 and has a chromosome translocation. I am 30 and healthy (as far as I know). We will be starting IVF in January once his new health insurance kicks in. I am very concerned about taking time off of work (especially since I have been saving up my days for maternity). Ugh, I am not looking forward to this emotional roller coaster![/quote]

Awesome teacher- you will make it through the process…the hardest part of everything is just the waiting. Luckily, and I don’t know if this is the case for you, but days teaching seem to FLY by! You will be going full-steam with the process before you know it!

Hi! I’m also a teacher- 6th and 7th Spanish! I’m 4dp5dt today. After ttc naturally and timing it perfectly for due date in may( tovhave summer off) and not getting preg, I’ll be happy just to have a baby regardless of my schedule!

The monitoring didn’t interfere at all w school since my office does early hrs, thankfully er was a Sunday so I took mon and et was last fri so j took that day. Nobdoy at work knows - I just lied and said I’ve been getting migraines and having tests done. I even had to leave unexpectedly mon am and told my principal it was an emerge an I’d be back in an hour. He was ok w it.

I think ull be fine! Luckyfor us being around kids all the time it’s believable that we are sick!

Hey ladies!! I teach high school math and I am not doing IVF but had my first IUI Sunday. We did use injectibles so I had 4 Ultrasounds in 5 days, it was really difficult but I just decided it was time to think about starting a family and we could always catch up in precal later! One thing i treied to do was just double teach one the days i was there and then just let students work on the homework for those two lessons when i had to be gone. The other teachers at my school were very unhelpful which made it more stressful even after I told them what I was doing hoping to get some sympathy. Although, this is my first year at this school so I am not really close to anyone.that being said despite getting little help, made it through and my students survived and we are just working extra hard to get caught up! It was well worth the time off I had to take and will definitely be when we all get :bfp:!! :bsv: And :babydust: To you all!!!

Hi–I teach high school agriculture and have been ttc for about two years. I tried to plan for the perfectly timed baby (April, with 6 weeks of maternity leave leading up to 3 month summer break), but then m/c at 9 weeks. It is awful trying to balance fertility treatments with a school schedule, especially when doctors don’t understand how difficult it is to get away. We don’t have hour long lunch breaks for blood draws and making sub plans is a b****! Luckily, my mom also teaches at my school and has prep last hour, so she covers my class for me whenever I need so I don’t have to turn in sick leave to the office. Probably the hardest part is having kids and parents ask me when I am going to have a baby. I live in a rural community and everyone knows everybody’s business, so keeping our fertility struggles quiet has been difficult. Some days I swear five people ask when I’m going to hurry up and get pregnant! To make matters worse, two of my coworkers just had babies and three more are pregnant, due in May-June-July. Everyone with a non-menopausal uterus is freaking having kids!!!

Sorry…needed to vent. I think I will make it through the year, just as long as I don’t have a student get pregnant. That’s when struggling with ttc really blows.

Hey Ladies,

I won’t be doing IVF until late Jan/Early Feb but I liked the idea of talking to other teachers!! I teach Spanish to grades K-6th at 2 different schools!! We have been TTC about 1.5 years. My issue is that there are NO subs that speak Spanish so when I have a sub, the kids have to either play Bingo, watch a video, or do worksheets. But, like one of my principals said, I have to worry about my own family before I worry about everyone else’s kids!!

I’m really excited to get to know all of you! :flower:

I am not doing a cycle in the fall, but I am a teacher (high school math) and will be trying for number 2 in the summer. It took us 6 cycles to have our little and had to plan all of the cycles in the summer. To make it worse I was the volleyball coach and our season started a month before school! So I was always trying to determine what was ok for me to do and what wasn’t. Also had to schedule practice our treatments. My whole team had to know what I was going through! Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Good luck with your cycle!

Hi Ladies and Welcome! I teach high school math (Geoometry). My blood work and ultrasound went fine. I just got the okay to start the MDL shot tomorrow.

keeponkeepingon: I hear you on the time. I had to take a day off today to go in for the bloodwork. I have 1 more appointment on the 16th of December and after that, I hope everything else will fall during X-mas break.

Awesometeacher78: You are lucky your husband’s insurance will cover it. January is just around the corner. Good luck!

mep4y, HollyGenesis and chica509: Good luck. When is beta?:bsv:

illinichica: You have a nice set up going. Mom covers your last period and you are able to take off. I do see the downside of everybody knowing your business. However, look on the bright side, they mean well and it is a small community. BTW: I do know what you mean about people getting pregnant without even trying. My sister has a baby and they probably just shared a towel:woohoo:

UrzaNLuna: That is rough when you teach a subject no one has a competency in. On the bright side, your job is secured! Good luck on your cycle in January.

brit1612: I like baby making in the summer. Your schedule is pretty much open. I did that in 2009 and have our daughter now. It was the perfect setup. I took off after spring break and did not come back until September. This time around, we could not do summer because I just delivered in late April. I had to wait for the doctor’s okay to try IVF again. Then we had a personal set back and here we are. I just want a baby at this point. Everything else is just logistics. Thanks for your support and good luck in summer. Sounds like you have a pretty understanding team.

Hi ladies! I am a French/Spanish teacher for 5th and 6th grade. I will be going for IVF attempt #5 in January. I have taken many days off from school for IVF, but I am pretty lucky that my supervisors understand my needs. I actually took 2 weeks off to do a clinical trial in Boston (I live near Albany, NY). That was extremely difficult. I am also able to do bw/us before school. Good luck to all of you!!

Another teacher

Hi guys! I’m a 5th grade teacher in a public school; I have 25 students (yikes) and a very stressful job. For the fresh cycle I just completed last month, I did bloodwork and ultrasounds before school. It was tough because I had to rush my 5 year old out the door and drop her at the neighbor’s early, drive to the clinic while eating in the car, and hope they were on time. All except once, I made it to school only about 5 minutes late. Luckily, none of the ultrasounds fell on a weekday (I only had one actually, on a Sunday) and the bloodwork takes all of 1 minute. I never told my principal what was going on and will try not to for the FET next month or if there is another IVF in my future (not likely due to money, though if the FET doesn’t work who knows how I’ll feel?). I just don’t trust him and the secretary also likes to talk! :rolleyes: There are many women teachers here who have gone through/are going through IVF and told the principal, though. I have told 4 trusted co-workers, one of whom I work closely with. It helped to have her because she knew why I was hormonal and whacked out for a month. Elementary schools are notorious for gossipy behavior so I want to be quiet as much as I can!

I hate the fact that the clinic can’t/won’t do blood and u/s in the afternoons. As a teacher, I could fly out of here at 3 and do it then and not impact my day. It’s hard! I’m trying to keep the stress level down for the FET and worrying about appointments doesn’t help, though going through a FET is FAR less time consuming than a fresh, from what I hear. I’m convinced that stress did not help me with the failed cycle I just had!!

Snagel, so sorry about your negative. I was following your stats as you posted on the study thread. This is so tough and it makes me angry that we have to go through this stress. You deserve a BFP with your next cycle. Is your protocol changing at all?

Nice to meet you all, fellow teachers!! :clap:

[quote=UrzaNLuna]Hey Ladies,

I won’t be doing IVF until late Jan/Early Feb but I liked the idea of talking to other teachers!! I teach Spanish to grades K-6th at 2 different schools!! We have been TTC about 1.5 years. My issue is that there are NO subs that speak Spanish so when I have a sub, the kids have to either play Bingo, watch a video, or do worksheets. But, like one of my principals said, I have to worry about my own family before I worry about everyone else’s kids!!

I’m really excited to get to know all of you! :flower:[/quote]

Hola Urza- I know- I also teach Spanish. It’s so hard when you don’t know what the sub knows! I used to teach k-6 at 2 schools but when the 7th gr position opened I jumped for it since it is so much more stable. I leave a lot of busy work…

Beta is Monday 12/13. Not really too optomistic though since we transferred a low grade blast and a morula.

[quote=Wishfor1more]Hi guys! I’m a 5th grade teacher in a public school; I have 25 students (yikes) and a very stressful job. For the fresh cycle I just completed last month, I did bloodwork and ultrasounds before school. It was tough because I had to rush my 5 year old out the door and drop her at the neighbor’s early, drive to the clinic while eating in the car, and hope they were on time. All except once, I made it to school only about 5 minutes late. Luckily, none of the ultrasounds fell on a weekday (I only had one actually, on a Sunday) and the bloodwork takes all of 1 minute. I never told my principal what was going on and will try not to for the FET next month or if there is another IVF in my future (not likely due to money, though if the FET doesn’t work who knows how I’ll feel?). I just don’t trust him and the secretary also likes to talk! :rolleyes: There are many women teachers here who have gone through/are going through IVF and told the principal, though. I have told 4 trusted co-workers, one of whom I work closely with. It helped to have her because she knew why I was hormonal and whacked out for a month. Elementary schools are notorious for gossipy behavior so I want to be quiet as much as I can!

I hate the fact that the clinic can’t/won’t do blood and u/s in the afternoons. As a teacher, I could fly out of here at 3 and do it then and not impact my day. It’s hard! I’m trying to keep the stress level down for the FET and worrying about appointments doesn’t help, though going through a FET is FAR less time consuming than a fresh, from what I hear. I’m convinced that stress did not help me with the failed cycle I just had!!

Snagel, so sorry about your negative. I was following your stats as you posted on the study thread. This is so tough and it makes me angry that we have to go through this stress. You deserve a BFP with your next cycle. Is your protocol changing at all?

Nice to meet you all, fellow teachers!! :clap:[/quote]

Thank you for thinking of me! This has been extremely tough, emotionally, but I am going to try again! I have a meeting with my RE on Friday to discuss my next protocol. I think I am going to do the Estrogen Priming Protocol. The disappointment over and over again is just so difficult. Oh, and my sister decided to tell me she’s pregnant (she told me two days after my BFN). She’s probably only five weeks total, so she could have waited! I cried for 3 solid days!!! I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown!

I can understand the frustration of not being able to go after school. Sorry about your failed cycle…hopefully your FET will be great!!! Best of luck!

I was very happy to see this thread. I have been trying for a year now and missing the work was very stressful. I just went through my first IVF cycle and was not successful. I am feeling very deflated and a bit discouraged :grr: . I am about to start my first FET cycle and am feeling positive about that.:pray: I know that this process is very difficult for everyone and reading these posts makes me feel like I am not so alone. Thanks.

[B]Me:[/B] 35 relatively healthy
[B]DP:[/B] 34
[B]TTC:[/B] 1 year

2/10 - First IUI :bfn:
3/10 - Second IUI w/clomid :bfn:
5/10 - Third IUI w/ clomid :bfn:
6/10 - Fourth IUI w/gonal-F :bfn:
7/10 - Fifth IUI w/ gonal-F :bfn:
8/10 - Sixth IUI w/ gonal-F :bfn:

9/10 new RE new Plan

[U][B]IVF 1:[/B][/U]
11/6-11/15/10 - Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix,
11/17/10 - ER: 11 retrieved, 11 mature; 9 fertilized.
11/8/10 - ET: d5t, 2 blasts
12/3/10 - Beta :bfn:

[B][U]FET 1:[/U][/B]
12/5/10- Started BCP
:pray: :pray: :pray:

I didn’t tell my principal what we were doing either… I just told him I had to deal with some medical issues. I don’t know what I will tell him this time around. I am almost all out of sick days; I don’t know what I will do. I will probably have to pay my own sub out of pocket.

snagel412: You are lucky to have understanding supervisors. I think mine would be understanding but people talk. I am not into that. Anyways, sorry about your cycle in Boston. Good luck on your next one.

Wishfor1more::welcome: I hear you on the early ultrasounds. Mine would only do it in the morning. It takes 40 minutes to get there and 40 minutes to get back. By the time I get to work it is approximately 10:30am. It sucks but he is a good doctor and doesn’t schedule that many bloodwork and ultrasound for my cycle. Like you, this will likely be my last cycle. I don’t know how to come up with more money if this does not work. Praying for a miracle.

chica509: Good luck on beta Monday. You have a good chance. Yours is actually a morula. mine never made it that far and she is here with us:) I had a 3 day transfer.

jls3426::welcome: My first cycle failed as well. At least you have frosties and won’t have to start from scratch. Good luck with it. I am sending you positive vibes:cheer:

keeponkeepingon: You might try female problems. I think he will back off of that one real quick:)

[QUOTE=sophealy]snagel412: You are lucky to have understanding supervisors. I think mine would be understanding but people talk. I am not into that. Anyways, sorry about your cycle in Boston. Good luck on your next one.

Wishfor1more::welcome: I hear you on the early ultrasounds. Mine would only do it in the morning. It takes 40 minutes to get there and 40 minutes to get back. By the time I get to work it is approximately 10:30am. It sucks but he is a good doctor and doesn’t schedule that many bloodwork and ultrasound for my cycle. Like you, this will likely be my last cycle. I don’t know how to come up with more money if this does not work. Praying for a miracle.

chica509: Good luck on beta Monday. You have a good chance. Yours is actually a morula. mine never made it that far and she is here with us:) I had a 3 day transfer.

jls3426::welcome: My first cycle failed as well. At least you have frosties and won’t have to start from scratch. Good luck with it. I am sending you positive vibes:cheer:

keeponkeepingon: You might try female problems. I think he will back off of that one real quick:)[/QUOTE]

Keepon - We are on the same cycle - we both had a failed cycle in November and are planning a FET in January! And I agree about the use of “female problems”!!! Works every time!

Sophealy - Hang in there! You may not need a miracle! This will be your time! I agree that people talk, my building is like that. Do whatever you have to, that’s my motto. Your family comes first!

Sophealy- I noticed in your siggy that you have the Natural Killer Cells. This is something that I am going to be tested for… What can you tell me about it?? I have read some things online, but I haven’t come up with much. Did you have to do the IVIg or the intralipid transfusions??? Thanks! :flower: