Teething - how to cope?

Hi all! Our baby is 7 yrs old. He is a long-awaited child. We passed a long way to expanding our family. It became possible only a year ago after IVF procedure.
For the most part our boy sleeps quite well at night. But sometimes teething causes sleepless nights as well. I’ve read earlier that soothing medicals affect the baby’s teeth, so we try to use them less frequently. Our babies’ teeth start to appear from around six months. It was the sign that he’ll try eating solid food soon. Teething brings some pain and upset to our baby. Also it brings a hard work for us, parents. We must sooth teething baby somehow. Believe me or not, our neighbors are the family where the baby with a tooth was born. Rather surprising! Our LO’s bottom front teeth came first. Then they were followed by the top front teeth. They say most babies will have all their milk teeth by the time they are two and a half. So, there is still a plenty of time. We’ll not be able to relax during all this period. It demands strong nerves and patience.

I’m not sure that teeth can grow without causing the baby any discomfort at all. Symptoms are really different and it seems like we’ve had all of them at the same time. When teething our boy has a disturbed sleep. He eats almost nothing, has a poor appetite. He’s constantly chewing something whether it’s a toy or his fist. Earlier he had a fever. His chicks flushed and very often we considered it to be a disease. You know, only after some period of time you begin to differentiate disease and teething symptoms.
Usually our teething baby is very nervous. He cannot calm down easily. We always have to come up with variety of things to distract him somehow.
Only at the last stage of tooth coming we usually see a sore red gum around it. Our child is still very small, so it will take time to get rid of this problem. Your daughter is yet smaller.
While dealing with the problem we also found the following prompts:
An infant’s gums may feel better when gentle pressure is placed on them. Try massaging the baby’s gums with a clean finger.
Under supervision, give the baby something hard to chew on. A special teething ring is an option but a crust of bread, breadstick or a peeled carrot may work as well. Don’t dip teething rings in anything sugary. Even new baby teeth need to be protected from decay caused by sugar.
Try to distract a fussy, teething baby by playing.
If the baby is dribbling a lot, remember to keep wiping their chin to prevent rashes.
Don’t stop breastfeeding when your baby’s teeth break through. Babies can’t bite while suckling.
I think we all can share our experiences. On how it’s better to cope, you know…We are here for support, isn’t it. I’m still keeping in touch with our Biotexcom nurse. She is constantly giving us some really precious pieces of advice. We’re so much thankful. Hope you’re all doing well.