The Endless Ectopic... Perspectives?


#1

I think I need a few perspectives. Late last December around Christmas, my wife and I got pregnant (unexpectedly) naturally. Unfortunately, it turned out to be an interstitial ectopic pregnancy. We went through surgery and all the rigamarole and ended up getting a metheltrexate shot because the embryo couldn’t be removed easily by surgery. The embryo kept growing. So she got another meth shot. Her betas slowly started to decline. Very, very slowly. Last week, her betas were finally down to around 12. She bled and cramped very hard for about 9 days. We assumed that our two month, slow motion miscarriage was finally at an end. Then, we get the betas for today and… they’ve gone up to 16. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Especially after a week and a half of intense bleeding?

It’s bizarre, frustrating, and worse, a third meth shot is being recommended to us which would push back our IVF schedule another 6 months. Any perspective would be appreciate.


#2

[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]From my most recent experience (January 2013) of an ectopic pg. I had to have 3 shots of methotrexate. My levels had an increase after the 1st injection (which I was told is normal.) My RE said his theory is to give 50 mg back to back but we were also dealing with my OBGYN during this process. So we had to tweak it to her standards. I didn’t start spotting until Jan 10th and spotted until my HCG hit zero. Some women end up having a D&C or biopsy to clean out the uterus of all tissues. It’s possible they will read the post and chime in on their experience. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Why is your IVF being pushed back 6 months? My RE is allowing us to start our IVF April 2013. We had to wait for my AF to start then complete a few tests. Currently I’m on BCP and will start Lupron early April (As well as all the other IVF Meds).[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 2nd HCG 2381 100 mg MTX[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 4th HCG 2300[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 7th HCG 2741 100 mg MTX[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 11th HCG 1353 100 mg MTX[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 14th HCG 860[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 19th 269[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 30th 0[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]March 1st CD 1[/SIZE][/FONT]


#3

[QUOTE=Webelieveinmiracles][FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]From my most recent experience (January 2013) of an ectopic pg. I had to have 3 shots of methotrexate. My levels had an increase after the 1st injection (which I was told is normal.) My RE said his theory is to give 50 mg back to back but we were also dealing with my OBGYN during this process. So we had to tweak it to her standards. I didn’t start spotting until Jan 10th and spotted until my HCG hit zero. Some women end up having a D&C or biopsy to clean out the uterus of all tissues. It’s possible they will read the post and chime in on their experience. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Why is your IVF being pushed back 6 months? My RE is allowing us to start our IVF April 2013. We had to wait for my AF to start then complete a few tests. Currently I’m on BCP and will start Lupron early April (As well as all the other IVF Meds).[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 2nd HCG 2381 100 mg MTX[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 4th HCG 2300[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 7th HCG 2741 100 mg MTX[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 11th HCG 1353 100 mg MTX[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 14th HCG 860[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 19th 269[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]Jan 30th 0[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI Mono][SIZE=3]March 1st CD 1[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Thank for mentioning your experiences. From what I heard, 3 shots were uncommon, but it depends on the dose (I assumed they were standardized based on body weight). We were told that we should wait 3 months for 1 shot and 6 months for 2 before attempting a cycle. A third shot would bump the wait time back up to 6 months. At least, this is what we were told.

Unfortunately, a D&C is out of the question for us since the embryo was wedged in a very odd place.


#4

[FONT=‘Segoe UI Mono’][SIZE=3]My OBGYN goes by body weight and my RE does not believe in that theory. I assume this is why my levels took so long to drop. I finally had to cut my OBGYN out of the picture and follow my RE’s instructions. He said waiting one month is sufficient any longer is not medically necessary. He didn’t even put me on extra folic acid to rebuild my system. He said all would be fine naturally. When my levels dropped to zero I was able to resume my prenatal vitamins. [/SIZE][/FONT]


#5

[QUOTE=Webelieveinmiracles][FONT=‘Segoe UI Mono’][SIZE=3]My OBGYN goes by body weight and my RE does not believe in that theory. I assume this is why my levels took so long to drop. I finally had to cut my OBGYN out of the picture and follow my RE’s instructions. He said waiting one month is sufficient any longer is not medically necessary. He didn’t even put me on extra folic acid to rebuild my system. He said all would be fine naturally. When my levels dropped to zero I was able to resume my prenatal vitamins. [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Hm, I wonder why it took us 2 and a half months since the MTX shots and still no miscarriage. It’s just getting to the point of exhausting.


#6

I’m not sure why a third mtx shot would be recommended with the beta at only 16 - it only went up 4 and rising is not uncommon. I would request another beta in 3-5 days before having another shot. In my case, the beta went from 61 to 97 after my first mtx shot. We did another beta 3 days later to see if the what direction we were going. I was told it could jump around but as long as it was gradually decreasing that was okay. My beta likely went even higher than 97 at one point as it took nearly 3 months to be <5. I never got a second shot. We tested every week after until the beta was negative.

I’m so sorry you have to go through this.


#7

[QUOTE=EmmaL]I’m not sure why a third mtx shot would be recommended with the beta at only 16 - it only went up 4 and rising is not uncommon. I would request another beta in 3-5 days before having another shot. In my case, the beta went from 61 to 97 after my first mtx shot. We did another beta 3 days later to see if the what direction we were going. I was told it could jump around but as long as it was gradually decreasing that was okay. My beta likely went even higher than 97 at one point as it took nearly 3 months to be <5. I never got a second shot. We tested every week after until the beta was negative.

I’m so sorry you have to go through this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Emma, it’s helpful to know that it’s taken that long for someone else. I’ll let my wife know and we’ll hold out to see where our numbers go. It’s not like our numbers are sky high. Thanks.


#8

So sorry you are going through this.

I only got 1 MTX shot because my levels were always declining, but it seemed like it took [U]forever[/U] to go down to 0. I think it was about 3-4 months. The decline once the beta was low was incredibly slow.


#9

Thank u for posting this and sharing! I just had my shot yesterday and did not know this sort of thing could happen? Also did not know it could take weeks for beta to drop to zero! Did your re say it was okay to exercise and when u could start?

Also- any theories as to why ectopics happenened or happened to you?


#10

Demian, actually Emma has a really good point. I don’t see why they would consider doing another shot with such a low beta. It should just take some time to come down. I just looked up my records and it took me 6 weeks to go from 12 to negative. Overall it took me more than 3 months to go from 2500 to negative.

Goodnewsbear, sorry to hear about your ectopic. They should check you at D4 and D7 after MTX to make sure the beta drops appropriately. I can’t remember what they need to see, but it’s the difference between Day 4 and 7 that matters. I would ask your doctor about exercise, since everyone’s situation is different. For me, they have no idea why this happened. No hx of STD/tubal infections/endometriosis. I do have a history of C-section. My HSG was normal. In my case they aren’t even sure it was an ectopic, but called it a pg of unknown location, since a D&C didn’t show anything and nothing was seen on U/S. My RE said it could have been a miscarriage (my beta was already declining when I came in) located in a “corner” of the uterus that they can’t get to with a D&C or it could have been in a tube/ovary/abdomenal. Who knows. It kind of drives me crazy that I’ll never know. Anyways, good luck.


#11

[QUOTE=Demian]I think I need a few perspectives. Late last December around Christmas, my wife and I got pregnant (unexpectedly) naturally. Unfortunately, it turned out to be an interstitial ectopic pregnancy. We went through surgery and all the rigamarole and ended up getting a metheltrexate shot because the embryo couldn’t be removed easily by surgery. The embryo kept growing. So she got another meth shot. Her betas slowly started to decline. Very, very slowly. Last week, her betas were finally down to around 12. She bled and cramped very hard for about 9 days. We assumed that our two month, slow motion miscarriage was finally at an end. Then, we get the betas for today and… they’ve gone up to 16. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Especially after a week and a half of intense bleeding?

It’s bizarre, frustrating, and worse, a third meth shot is being recommended to us which would push back our IVF schedule another 6 months. Any perspective would be appreciate.[/QUOTE]

I am following your story closely for a long time: just wanted to :grouphug: you and to tell you that I am thinking of your wife and you, I :pray: for both of you.

Love,

D


#12

[FONT=‘Segoe UI Mono’][FONT=‘Segoe UI Mono’][SIZE=3][B]Demian[/B] – How is your wife doing? Has her levels dropped to zero yet? Please keep us updated. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]


#13

I’ve been reading everyone’s responses on my iPhone, but have been super busy and haven’t been able to reply.

Thank you all for the excellent perspectives. It’s been quite helpful in relieving our conscience. I think we’ll be doing everything we can to dodge the third meth shot, unless absolutely necessary.

Emma and Hopeful, you’re information has been very helpful. I guess 3 months of this is rather strange, but not unheard of. It’s just a strange swing of feelings. With our IVF pregnancy a year ago, we were hoping for it to stick, but it wouldn’t. Now, we WANT a miscarriage but what’s left of the embryo is fighting tooth and claw.

As for where we stand now, it’s somewhat strange. Our betas went up last time we checked. We disclosed to the nurse that we had unprotected sex before and after the 9 days of heavy bleeding that we thought was a miscarriage (I know, we’re weird, we never waste an opportunity to have sex, sorry for the too-much-information). We didn’t think it would be a big deal given that A: we have tubal blockage fertility issues and B: it’s hard to imagine how an embryo could attach to what must be a VERY thin uterine lining.

The nurse threw at us the possibility that my wife might somehow have gotten pregnant again, regardless. I thought this sounded crazy due to the reasons I mentioned above. However, for the past 2-3 days, she’s been very nauseated. Hm… Has anyone heard of this kind of shenanigans before? One embryo jumping ship while another climbs aboard?

Obviously, in the unlikely event that she is pregnant again, it would be problematic because she’s been starving herself of folate to get rid of the ectopic. Talk about bad timing…