The meds could make things worse

My husband and I were both 29 and did our first round of IVF with ICSI. After this failed attempt we met with our RE and the room began to spin. What we though was just a low motility issue turned into a conversation about plan b and c. He told me that I had a severe egg quality issue. He wasn’t optomistic that trying again would produce a different outcome. I asked if it could have been the suppressing medications since he mentioned that they just didn’t stimulate as they should have. He said it was so severe that he thought it was difinitely more than that. We left that appointment crying but determined to keep trying… Financially it was a very hard decision. We had already paid over $12,000 out of pocket for the first IVF cycle. Now we were looking at even more since we were going to increase the dose on the stimulating medication.

I have always been very stable mentally but I could honestly say that I became depressed over this situation. The time between the first failed attempt and the second attempt included Thanksgiving and Christmas, both of which I was surrounded by pregnany family and babies. It was miserable - especially with the prognosis that any future attempts would likely not be successful and I would need donor eggs or move to adoption…

Well the second cycle worked!

****What I wish someone had told me is that a change in the medication could make all the difference. ****

The doctor changed the medication to a different “cocktail” and I had much better results. I was even able to freeze for our second time around.

My advice is to pay for more than one round the first time if they offer discounts in that way. We paid for a single, then (due to the lack of hope) we paid for a triple (which we didn’t use, therefore losing that money…)

First of all… Congrats on the second try! That is amazing.

I am too going for round two but my doctors are not changing my protocol since I responded so well.

I am just very happy that you are sharing this. I think we are always afraid to try again and get the same results.

Best of luck on the subsequent rounds and transfers.

First of all… Congrats on the second try! That is amazing.

I am too going for round two but my doctors are not changing my protocol since I responded so well.

I am just very happy that you are sharing this. I think we are always afraid to try again and get the same results.

Best of luck on the subsequent rounds and transfers.

Thanks and good luck to you on your 2nd attempt! I poured over these forums for a very long time and I wanted to give some hope. I now have boy/girl twins who are 5 months, happy and healthy. Can’t believe the ordeal that we have to go through, especially when it doesn’t work the first time, but wow is it worth it…

I remember reading sooo many threads that basically said that they tried once and it worked. It made me think well duh, of course it will work the first time. Why shouldn’t it? I literally would drive to work every day in tears telling myself over and over “there’s no reason this shouldn’t work”… and when it didn’t at first it was so hard… but like I said it all worked out in the end :slight_smile:

Good luck and please let me know if there is anything you ever need to talk about!