There has to be a way, there just has to be

Hello,

So, I’m posting this thread out of desperation. If anyone can lend help and/or suggestion I would be greatly appreciative.

My DH has a y chromosome microdeletion (AZFc/b) region. Low testosterone and azoospermia- all other levels are normal.

We saw Dr. Schlegel @ Cornell (leading doctor for male infertility/mTESE procedure), he performed the mTESE and found nothing. DH was on Arimidex for 2 mo prior but it did very littly by way of raising testosterone.

I can’t help but feel that not enough hormone treatment was done prior to the surgery, and that maybe with HCG and/or other hormone treatments, we can potentially promote sperm production. I just can’t give up right now, I want a bio baby more than anythng with my DH.

Has anyone had experience with a similar situation? Are certain hormone treatments better than others? Doctors that are recommended?

Thank so much :slight_smile:

[quote=mintsea]Hello,

So, I’m posting this thread out of desperation. If anyone can lend help and/or suggestion I would be greatly appreciative.

My DH has a y chromosome microdeletion (AZFc/b) region. Low testosterone and azoospermia- all other levels are normal.

We saw Dr. Schlegel @ Cornell (leading doctor for male infertility/mTESE procedure), he performed the mTESE and found nothing. DH was on Arimidex for 2 mo prior but it did very littly by way of raising testosterone.

I can’t help but feel that not enough hormone treatment was done prior to the surgery, and that maybe with HCG and/or other hormone treatments, we can potentially promote sperm production. I just can’t give up right now, I want a bio baby more than anythng with my DH.

Has anyone had experience with a similar situation? Are certain hormone treatments better than others? Doctors that are recommended?

Thank so much :)[/quote]

I thought that Arimidex was supposed to lower the estrogen. How much medication is Schlegal putting your DH on? HCG? Gonal-F? What is Schlegal’s response to all of this? I am in a similar situation as yourself- we also went to Schlegal just recently.

Hello- Schlegel only put my DH on Arimidex (not sure of dosage) for 2 months prior to surgery. No HCG or any other medication. I too have read taht Arimidex lowered estrogen- allowing testosterone to naturally rise; however, I personally think my DH’s system needs more of a boost.

I respect Schlegel tremendously; however, I think his specialty is going in and finding sperm, not helping the body to produce it. Therefore, I feel like seeing a reproductive endocrinologist would be beneficial. I’m having a hard time finding a good one for men.

I’m hanging on to this theory for dear life. I just need ONE sperm!

[quote=mintsea]Hello- Schlegel only put my DH on Arimidex (not sure of dosage) for 2 months prior to surgery. No HCG or any other medication. I too have read taht Arimidex lowered estrogen- allowing testosterone to naturally rise; however, I personally think my DH’s system needs more of a boost.

I respect Schlegel tremendously; however, I think his specialty is going in and finding sperm, not helping the body to produce it. Therefore, I feel like seeing a reproductive endocrinologist would be beneficial. I’m having a hard time finding a good one for men.

I’m hanging on to this theory for dear life. I just need ONE sperm![/quote]

The protocol you just told me doesn’t sound like it could have given your DH a chance. I am surprised that Schlegal would not try HCG with your DH. Maybe it has to do with origin of your DH’s NOA? I would ask if your DH could be on HCG- minimal or moderate amount could help. Arimidex was always given to my DH to lower estrogen, but never to help with testosterone. If he didn’t have HCG - his testosterone would be very low. Right now he takes HCG twice a week and he has normal levels.

Shasie,

Thanks so much for the info! Can I ask how low your DH’s testosterone was before HCG? How much did it raise on the HCG? You said he takes 2 shots per week- any other meds?

I honestly don’t know why Schlegel didn’t try HCG- he made it seem as if Arimidex was the best med to maximize sperm production; however, literature doesn’t seem to support that.

Did your hubby see an endocrinologist for the HCG?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help :slight_smile: Best to you.

[QUOTE=mintsea]Shasie,

Thanks so much for the info! Can I ask how low your DH’s testosterone was before HCG? How much did it raise on the HCG? You said he takes 2 shots per week- any other meds?

I honestly don’t know why Schlegel didn’t try HCG- he made it seem as if Arimidex was the best med to maximize sperm production; however, literature doesn’t seem to support that.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help :slight_smile: Best to you.[/QUOTE]

Hi mintsea,
When we first saw Schlegal, my DH was already on HCG. His testosterone was measuring at over 600 because he was taking HCG every 3 days. Then Schlegal wanted to get a baseline. So he quit taking HCG altogether for 2 weeks- then his testosterone was measured at 74. So Schlegal told him to get back on HCG at 2X weekly and his testosterone got back up to over 400. I do think it’s important to take something to keep the estrogen low because my husband had problems with elevated estrogen level in the past when taking HCG(breast tissue growth). Can you ask Schlegal what was his thinking when he decided not to add HCG for DH? If you do decide to talk another urologist-at least you’ll have a clue as what he was thinking.
Schlegal also recommended a certain supplement- I can get you the name when I find it if you’d like.
:grouphug: s

[QUOTE=mintsea]Shasie,

Thanks again, I appreciate your help :slight_smile: Best to you.[/QUOTE]

My DH did see a prior urologist in NJ - where we live. He found sperm and it fertilized- but it didn’t take. When we wanted to go for another IVF- we concluded that we didn’t really like the urologist in NJ. So we decided to see Schlegal since we had been hearing so much about him. We decided to cycle at Cornell. We have never seen an RE for my DH’s situation. Only urologists.

DH has low Testosterone and dh is on 50mg clomid daily. That has helped him. It takes 3 months for the meds to produce more sperm after starting a treatment. I wouldn’t try any hormone treatments besides HCG. Any other Testosterone treatment will KILL any and all sperm he might have.

His count before clomid : 9mil/ml, 41mil total count, 10% motility with 2%morph.

After 3 months on clomid : 48.5 per ml count, 131 total count, 67% motility, 87.08mil total motile (swimming)

After 1 year on clomid : 101mil/ml, 373.7 mil total count, 69% motility, 255.98mil total motile (swimming)

DH saw a urologist that specializes in male infertility. He’s the one that treated his low t.

Thanks again! Your info is so refreshing right now and may be helpful towards our situation.

Schlegel told us that he didn’t think HCG was necessary because he thought my DH was responding well to Arimidex. I don’t really understand that reasoning since the Arimidex only elevated his testosterone from 185 to 245, which is still very low. My DH has also been suffering from enlarged breast tissue for years- i’m guessing from the low T; however, the Arimidex didn’t seem to help much.

I’d love to have the name of the supplement if you don’t mind.

I wish you all the best. You’ve given me some light at the end of my dark tunnel and I thank you for that :slight_smile:

Keep me updated on your situation!

[QUOTE=mintsea]Hello,

Thank so much :)[/QUOTE]

My husband has low testosterone and tried taking Arimidex for one month and his levels didn’t change one bit. So now his urologist has put him on HCG shots…he just started on Monday. We’ll do a blood test in a month to see if his testosterone levels have improved and we have to wait 3-6 months to see if there has been any sperm production. We meet with his urologist next week to see what our options are if HCG doesn’t work and if there’s anything else we need to get checked out.

So you guys aren’t alone in this. I would definately voice your concerns and see what else is available for you guys.

Wishing you luck.

[quote=cmunksgard]My husband has low testosterone and tried taking Arimidex for one month and his levels didn’t change one bit. So now his urologist has put him on HCG shots…he just started on Monday. We’ll do a blood test in a month to see if his testosterone levels have improved and we have to wait 3-6 months to see if there has been any sperm production. We meet with his urologist next week to see what our options are if HCG doesn’t work and if there’s anything else we need to get checked out.

So you guys aren’t alone in this. I would definately voice your concerns and see what else is available for you guys.

Wishing you luck.[/quote]

Please keep us updated on any progress with the HCG. We plan to start DH up on it soon but it won’t be for another month or so as he is currently recovering from the TESE procedure.

I’m desperately grasping on to the hope that HCG will make a difference for us. Although, I admit, I will be royally ticked if we went through all of this (IVF, mTESE, travelling) when all he needed was HCG first.

Best wishes to everyone! Keep us updated!

[quote=mintsea]Thanks again! Your info is so refreshing right now and may be helpful towards our situation.

Schlegel told us that he didn’t think HCG was necessary because he thought my DH was responding well to Arimidex. I don’t really understand that reasoning since the Arimidex only elevated his testosterone from 185 to 245, which is still very low. My DH has also been suffering from enlarged breast tissue for years- i’m guessing from the low T; however, the Arimidex didn’t seem to help much.

I’d love to have the name of the supplement if you don’t mind.

I wish you all the best. You’ve given me some light at the end of my dark tunnel and I thank you for that :slight_smile:

Keep me updated on your situation![/quote]

the supplement is called Conception xr from Theralogix. I know this is hard, long road. there is a thread on this site for those struggling with male infertility- in particular azoospermia. it could help.