Thinking about injectible treatment

Hello ladies! I was hoping to pick your brain about the injectible treatments you have had. I am sort of at a treatment crossroads… my RE said that as long as I am responding to Clomid and am happy with the 8% pregnancy chance each month we can continue with Clomid.

My DH and I initially decided to give it that month and one more month with Clomid (which would be this cycle)… just got my :bfn: . I’m going to stop my progesterone so AF should arrive in a few days.

Now that last month was unsuccessful (cycle #6) I’m starting to question if we should even try one more cycle of Clomid or just move on to injectibles. I’m just nervous since our insurance doesn’t cover much and also because if 2-3 rounds of injectibles don’t work, we will probably be looking at IVF.

I was hoping you ladies could give me some good insight on the treatment… and any side effects you have experienced? I’m scared we will be wasting another month if we stay on Clomid but also scared to move forward to more aggressive treatment

Thanks in advance for your help on this!! :grouphug:

I’m sorry to hear about your recent BFN. I responded in your other thread too – I think you should go for injectibles!

I had less side effects on injectibles – just bloating. None of the emotional side effects and hot flashes that Clomid caused for me.

[QUOTE=becca1119]I’m sorry to hear about your recent BFN. I responded in your other thread too – I think you should go for injectibles!

I had less side effects on injectibles – just bloating. None of the emotional side effects and hot flashes that Clomid caused for me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight… yes I am leaning towards injectibles but still a little nervous. I guess I’m mainly nervous because the next step after injectibles is IVF… and IVF terrifies me… emotionally and financially

Do you know why injectibles have a higher success rate? I know you can produce more follies than on Clomid but also have read they may stop the treatment cycle if your produce too many. Technically Clomid was a success since I ovulated each month with 1-2 follies… I’m just confused on why it’s better?

1. Apparently injectibles lead to higher quality eggs. I don’t know how they know that, but if it’s true, that’s awesome!

2. You can tailor the dose gradually based on your response and needs.

3. It does not cause thinning of lining or drying of cervical mucus, like Clomid often does.

I also wonder if the fact that it doesn’t have the same emotional effects can mean less stress?

I really hope it works out for you! The injections aren’t that hard either. It’s scary at first, but it’ll become easy after the first few!

Injectibles

I went right to injectibles for my first IUI. I was nervous of overstimulating. Check with you doc about monitoring times. If you’re a fast responder, they may shorten your dose days. I was a slow responder and needed to be bumped up. I had no side effects, except the stress of the needles which got easier, after few days.
My clinic also has the option of converting to IVF if a round of injectibles produces more follies than they like for an IUI ( usually over 4).
Again, you need to do what you feel comfortable doing. Good luck!:cross:

Have you tried femara yet? That might be a step to try before injectables. It doesn’t effect your uterine lining like clomid. As you can see from my siggy we tried a LOT of IUI cycles (7 total), I now wish we had moved past the clomid cycles sooner as it ended up being a waste of time and money.

It is a scary process, especially because the majority of us never think we’ll have to go through it. One thing I will say is that I’m glad I did the injectable cycle, it kind of prepared me for IVF. I’m a huge needle-phobe and after the first one (total panic attack) they weren’t bad and it prepared me for all the shots during IVF. Hopefully you won’t need to go down the IVF road, though!

[QUOTE=JediBonas]Have you tried femara yet? That might be a step to try before injectables. It doesn’t effect your uterine lining like clomid. As you can see from my siggy we tried a LOT of IUI cycles (7 total), I now wish we had moved past the clomid cycles sooner as it ended up being a waste of time and money.

It is a scary process, especially because the majority of us never think we’ll have to go through it. One thing I will say is that I’m glad I did the injectable cycle, it kind of prepared me for IVF. I’m a huge needle-phobe and after the first one (total panic attack) they weren’t bad and it prepared me for all the shots during IVF. Hopefully you won’t need to go down the IVF road, though![/QUOTE]

Is femara a pill like Clomid? My RE didn’t really talk about anything else oral since it had the same changes of pregnancy as Clomid had and I didn’t have severe side effects of the meds… so I’m guessing that’s why she didn’t really talk about that option much?

It’s funny how you mention a lot of us usually do not think about IVF… I was just telling one of my friends at the beginning IVF seemed so far off in the distance and I never imagined I would be even starting to consider that option… but life is funny like that. I’ve even started thinking the adoption route if we make it to IVF and it doesn’t work. Unfortunately, my DH still sees adoption so far off I don’t think he’s even willing to consider it a possibility at this point. We will def be doing 2-3 rounds of injectibles before moving on to IVF. I do hope I get used to injecting myself… I have an aunt that’s a nurse and she has been so kind to help me w/ my hcg trigger. That needle was really small so I thought if I had to I could probably get enough guts to do it myself :eek:

Thanks again everyone for your responses… I am enjoying reading your thoughts and it has helped me make more sense of all this. Now just need to talk to the DH…

Gingerh: Thanks for the thought of checking with my RE about monitoring times… I’ll have to remember to ask the nurse when I call in for my baseline once AF decides to show up. My RE didn’t really touch on the specifics about injectibles at our last consult; but I was on the mindset of doing 2 more rounds of Clomid at that point so I didn’t ask many questions about it. I’ll also have to ask about converting to IVF if that does happen. Thanks again… now I just have to remember to ask all these questions!

[quote=ForeverHopeful23]Is femara a pill like Clomid? My RE didn’t really talk about anything else oral since it had the same changes of pregnancy as Clomid had and I didn’t have severe side effects of the meds… so I’m guessing that’s why she didn’t really talk about that option much?

It’s funny how you mention a lot of us usually do not think about IVF… I was just telling one of my friends at the beginning IVF seemed so far off in the distance and I never imagined I would be even starting to consider that option… but life is funny like that. I’ve even started thinking the adoption route if we make it to IVF and it doesn’t work. Unfortunately, my DH still sees adoption so far off I don’t think he’s even willing to consider it a possibility at this point. We will def be doing 2-3 rounds of injectibles before moving on to IVF. I do hope I get used to injecting myself… I have an aunt that’s a nurse and she has been so kind to help me w/ my hcg trigger. That needle was really small so I thought if I had to I could probably get enough guts to do it myself :eek:

Thanks again everyone for your responses… I am enjoying reading your thoughts and it has helped me make more sense of all this. Now just need to talk to the DH…[/quote]usually the injections are subcutaneous, soyou’ll use the same kind of needle as the trigger, which is small. the only variation is how exactly you’ll get the meds. some of injectibles come in easy to use pens that allow you to adjust doses. some are a bit more complicated and require a step or two of mixing before you put it in a syringe and inject. i’ve done it both ways, and don’t worry, it becomes really easy after the first few times. there are tons of videos online. the injections are usually variations of fsh, and the brands i know of are follistim, gonalf, and bravelle. if insurance isn’t covering it, then probably you’ll find bravelle is cheapest BUT look around bc there are always random offers going on. sometimes the fsh is mixed with other injectible meds, and i don’t know as much about those. i’m sure the doc will tell you what’s appropriate for you!

[QUOTE=becca1119]usually the injections are subcutaneous, soyou’ll use the same kind of needle as the trigger, which is small. the only variation is how exactly you’ll get the meds. some of injectibles come in easy to use pens that allow you to adjust doses. some are a bit more complicated and require a step or two of mixing before you put it in a syringe and inject. i’ve done it both ways, and don’t worry, it becomes really easy after the first few times. there are tons of videos online. the injections are usually variations of fsh, and the brands i know of are follistim, gonalf, and bravelle. if insurance isn’t covering it, then probably you’ll find bravelle is cheapest BUT look around bc there are always random offers going on. sometimes the fsh is mixed with other injectible meds, and i don’t know as much about those. i’m sure the doc will tell you what’s appropriate for you![/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the great tips… I will keep you posted on what meds I will be on! AF showed up this morning so I called the RE and I have an appt this afternoon. The nurse who called me back was giving me the rundown of injectibles (price) and she said they will usually order 3 boxes of meds per cycle. She thought the office had 2 boxes a patient donated so I could have those if they are there :woohoo: :cross: :cross:

So as long as my baseline goes well, I will be doing injectibles this month… nervous!!!

I’ll keep you all posted… thanks again for all the support!! :grouphug:

Ok… so here’s an update… my baseline ultrasound yesterday went good so I had the all clear to start treatment. Thankfully the nurse thought to contact my insurance to see if they would cover the meds at all or not. She found out if we went thru a specific pharmacy the meds would be covered!!! That was the greatest news to receive… I told her if they didn’t cover the meds I wasn’t sure, financially, how many injectible treatments we could afford. So yay!!! :woohoo:

I am prescribed Gonal-f for 7-10 days (starting tomorrow; CD3). I will have my first follie ultrasound next Wed to see how I’m progressing. The needles really aren’t big so I’m just anxious to get the first one over with.

I’m sort of excited to try something new and different… hopefully this is what we need to get a :bfp: :cross: :cross: :cross:

Sending many :babydust: :babydust: everyone’s way!

^ excited for you! keep us posted.

Just a quick update: tonight will be my 5th injection… they really aren’t bad at all. The biggest thing was getting the rhythm on how fast to put the needle in for the least amount of pain. You would think the needles would go in smoothly…

I have my first u/s and bloodwork tomorrow afternoon… I am excited to see how I am progressing. The only side effect(s) I have felt so far… an hour after giving myself the injection I feel pretty bloated. Just a few minutes ago I felt aching in my left ovary (no severe pain but hurt a little). I usually notice this ache right before I get triggered so I’m hoping this is a good sign the meds are doing their job. Do you girls remember having ovary aches? I’m glad my appt is tomorrow so I can ask them… I’m so paranoid about OHSS. I’m sure I would know if I was having that issue

I’ll let everyone knows how my first u/s goes tomorrow… :cross: :cross: :cross:

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]ForeverHopeful23 – Have you been taking 150 units per day for 5 days? I can relate to the ovary aches. That tells me you are producing some nice follies. But I’d bet you have at least 4+ at a mature stage. When I started my lose dose of FSH I was on 75 units for 3 days. But when I was switched to Menopur I think I was on 150 units per day. Best wishes!! [/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Webelieveinmiracles][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]ForeverHopeful23 – Have you been taking 150 units per day for 5 days? I can relate to the ovary aches. That tells me you are producing some nice follies. But I’d bet you have at least 4+ at a mature stage. When I started my lose dose of FSH I was on 75 units for 3 days. But when I was switched to Menopur I think I was on 150 units per day. Best wishes!! [/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Yeah… Im on 150units/day. They said I will be on the injections between 7-10 days so I’m hoping tomorrow they will tell me to just do a few more days and be done. Im hoping I dont have anything mature yet… Im only on CD7. But thanks for the optimism… Im really hoping things are progressing in there well. What would be a good number of follies? I think they said they may cancel the cycle if I have 6 or more… So I’m trying to aim for 4 LOL. Hopefully my ovaries are on the same page :woohoo:

i’m surprised they started you at 150! i usually see 50-75, and then they up the dose. but it’s all good! there must be some good ones growing in there. keep us posted on what they find today!

i think depending on your history and clinic policies, some places will make you cancel if you have more than 3 follies. or they’ll ask you to convert to ivf.

ForeverHopeful23 - Please keep us updated on your progress. I’ve love to hear the good news. I’m still betting that your follies are mature for trigger. What was your resting follie count and what is your AMH?

[QUOTE=Webelieveinmiracles]ForeverHopeful23 - Please keep us updated on your progress. I’ve love to hear the good news. I’m still betting that your follies are mature for trigger. What was your resting follie count and what is your AMH?[/QUOTE]

Hello ladies! Just got back from my RE appt- so far I have a total of 5 ranging from 12-13mm… my dr wants to be conservative and would like to only see 3 mature; I told her I wanted to aim for 4 LOL. She’s backing my dosage to 100units and I’m going back in for another ultrasound on Friday; with a possibly of being triggered Friday an a IUI on sunday. I must have responded quicker than they thought… with my past IUI schedule, I thought I would be getting it done on Tues or Wed.

What is AMH? The dr doesn’t really give me a resting follie count at my baseline… they just say if my ovaries look clear (no cysts) or not. Hmmm

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]AMH levels correspond to the number of [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]antral follicles[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3], which can be used to indicate the number of eggs available in the ovaries. A very low level of AMH may indicate [/SIZE][/FONT][URL=“http://infertility.about.com/od/infertilityglossary/g/poorreserves.htm”][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]poor ovarian reserves[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]. A very high level of AMH may correspond to [/SIZE][/FONT][URL=“http://infertility.about.com/od/causesofinfertility/a/polycystic_pcos.htm”][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]PCOS[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3].[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]As for your u/s 5 growing follies sounds just about right. Glad to see you responded so well. Good luck with your IUI and best wishes during your tww. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]BTW how many follies did you produce on clomid cycles? Has your RE mentioned how many IUI cycles you are able to complete? [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote=Webelieveinmiracles][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]AMH levels correspond to the number of [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]antral follicles[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3], which can be used to indicate the number of eggs available in the ovaries. A very low level of AMH may indicate [/SIZE][/FONT][URL=“http://infertility.about.com/od/infertilityglossary/g/poorreserves.htm”][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]poor ovarian reserves[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]. A very high level of AMH may correspond to [/SIZE][/FONT][URL=“http://infertility.about.com/od/causesofinfertility/a/polycystic_pcos.htm”][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]PCOS[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3].[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]As for your u/s 5 growing follies sounds just about right. Glad to see you responded so well. Good luck with your IUI and best wishes during your tww. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]BTW how many follies did you produce on clomid cycles? Has your RE mentioned how many IUI cycles you are able to complete? [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]Oh yes, the bloodwork; I feel like that was a million years ago… even though it was less than a year! She sort of dummied the terms down for us… I know my reserve is very good and my eggs are very youthful. My male hormone was elevated that told her I had PCOS for sure.

I produced 2 follies every month… I think only two months did I only produce one. The last cycle I produced 2 with the possibility of a third… but I don’t think that one ended up ovulating. I did respond very well with Clomid which makes it that much more confusing… especially when my hubby’s numbers were awesome for the IUI too! My RE hasn’t really discussed how many IUI’s I will get… they did say if we aren’t successful after 4-6 cycles of injectibles, then they will probably want to discuss IVF…

My RE seemed very optimistic for my chances this month, so :cross::cross::pray::pray:

I’ll keep you guys posted about my appt on Friday!!! Thanks for all of your support; I’m so glad I decided to switch to injectibles for sure![/SIZE][/FONT]