Three follicles and IVF

I have a question for anyone who has been
through IVF- I am 38 years old. My FSH was 7, my Estradoil was 44, prolactin, and TSH all good. I had hystogram and it revealed 3 follicles. My doctor was very diasappointed. She said she will place me on maximum medications but gave poor numbers for producing 5 or more follicles. She recommended egg donation. It was extremely disheartening. Any comments thoughts. This is our first time with IVF and I want to try with my own eggs but feel discouraged. She said she would cancel IVF round unless I could produce 5 or more follicles. Any thoughts???

[quote=mustangshelby_1967]I have a question for anyone who has been
through IVF- I am 38 years old. My FSH was 7, my Estradoil was 44, prolactin, and TSH all good. I had hystogram and it revealed 3 follicles. My doctor was very diasappointed. She said she will place me on maximum medications but gave poor numbers for producing 5 or more follicles. She recommended egg donation. It was extremely disheartening. Any comments thoughts. This is our first time with IVF and I want to try with my own eggs but feel discouraged. She said she would cancel IVF round unless I could produce 5 or more follicles. Any thoughts???[/quote]
Hi… hope you can take a deep breath.
Are there any clinics around that deal with DOR? My clinic does not have that rule- I have a good AFC but always tend to have 2 follicles that take off and the others never catch up- so at retreival only have 2 eggs… but both made it to day 5 and so far we are a :bfp: …
so chin up… you can try with your own at first, you may just have to find the right clinic and or RE that works well with you… My doc told me that there was a high chance of having no embryos at transfer but we took the risk… I know of others in the same boat who have done the same thing.
You can also look at mini IVF…
Best of luck to you and hang in there… the meds may produce more follies and if not, find someone who will work with you!!!
There are LOTS of clinics out there!!!
:babydust:

Thank you for the input. My partner and I discussed in great detail why can’t our doctor try if I only have three. The other question is, maybe I have always only made three and was able to get pregnant. This has been a very different experience that has caused many tears so far and we haven’t even begun our attempt. I greatly appreciate the deep breath comment. I will take your advice and look into other clinics. Congrats

Hello,
BFP means pregnant :slight_smile:
Regarding your story, I was 40 by the time of my first IVF and I did the trigger with just 3 follies. My RE wanted to try. On the day of my retrieval, I had 5 follicules and 7 eggs total. I implanted 4 embryos and I have now a little girl. If you don’t like your Doctor, change. Trusting your doctor is very important.
Good luck.

[quote=mustangshelby_1967]I have a question for anyone who has been
through IVF- I am 38 years old. My FSH was 7, my Estradoil was 44, prolactin, and TSH all good. I had hystogram and it revealed 3 follicles. My doctor was very diasappointed. She said she will place me on maximum medications but gave poor numbers for producing 5 or more follicles. She recommended egg donation. It was extremely disheartening. Any comments thoughts. This is our first time with IVF and I want to try with my own eggs but feel discouraged. She said she would cancel IVF round unless I could produce 5 or more follicles. Any thoughts???[/quote]

I agree with the other ladies who have posted. There might be 3 perfect eggs in those follies. Plus - either you or your insurance is the one paying for it, so if you want to try with your own eggs she should understand that. If they refuse to do it, I would switch Dr before switching to Donor Eggs! Just my 2 cents. :wink:

Agreeing with the other posts. Talk more with your doctor or get a second opinion. There is definitely a possibility with less than 5 follies. Going to donor eggs is always an option, but you should try everything first IMO.

Talk to your RE about DHEA. I had read a lot about it, and was afraid my RE would say no to it, but as soon as I brought it up, he said you need to start taking that now! I’m so glad I did. I took that and wheat grass, and I went from 2 antrals to 8. I have one ovary and extremely low reserve- AMH 0.2).

IMO- cancelling with 5 eggs, is awful. Most proceed with 4 or more, and many will discuss it with the patient. My RE was willing to proceed with 1, if I insisted. After all the money spent on meds, monitoring, etc, that’s terrible to cancel with 5. I’d look into switching REs, and in the mean time, check out the DHEA.

Again thank you all for your advice. I too thought WOW three is something to try with. I really like this MD but I wonder if that is why they have a high success rate? I am definitely looking at other places. That is awesome the positive stories you guys have shared and give me hope! DHEA from what I have researched has quite a few risks with benefits, but I will ask and see what she thinks. I guess I just don’t think having three is validation to just cancel. My insurance does not pay for any infertility so this is all coming out of our pockets. Has anyone had IVF in Wisconsin? If so who did you use? :thankyou:

Sorry - couldn’t resist and reply to your post - although you’ll hear the same thing.

It only takes 1! Definitely consider finding a clinic that understands your particular situation. If your AFC is low, then it sounds like you are dealing with DOR. While you might have fewer eggs to deal with, it DOES NOT mean you can’t get pregnant. Sounds like your doctor is super conservative but might also be concerned with the financial aspect since you are paying out of pocket.

Go with your gut.

Hey Mustangshelby1967,
Just remember anything is possible and it only takes one. I do know a friend of mine went thru THREE ER in a row due to DOR. After the first two ERs the embryos were frozen until two months after the third ER. Her RE wanted to make sure they had enough embies as well. She only got six embryos out of three retreivals and had two successful single pregnancies from them. I know cost is a factor so maybe try to look into and RE that may be doing a trial on DOR. You may qualify for meds or even free cycles. Who knows but does not hurt to check. Good luck and much baby dust coming your way!!

We lost count of the number of times we were told to use donor eggs. For awhile, the most we got was 2 follicles. After increasing our stims and stimming longer (with the intention of freezing), we ended up with 5 follicles, 2 eggs, and they both fertilized. Sometimes docs want good stats but you have to do what feels right to you! We also changed docs and found one who was more creative/aggressive. Good luck! Hang in there and know you are not alone!!

just had to respond

Hello :slight_smile:
I had the same struggle!I was on the highest doses of follistim, menopur, and ganerelix. At the end of the day, I made only one follicle. They went in and retreived only one egg. They transfered my three day embryo and I am now five months pregnant!! Keep the faith!!!

I appreciate all of your advice. It is so frustrating, because maybe I have always only created 3 follicles. I have two live children. I need to have another conversation with my doctor. I have been doing some research trying to find another physician in my area, unfortunately it is not the easiest task finding. I will keep my fingers crossed. As far as cost, I think it is my decision if I want to try with 3 follicles since it is coming out of my pocket.

Why not see if you can go forward and then convert to an IUI if there are less than a certain number of follicles that mature? Your AFC isn’t an absolute - I always ended up with more follicles than we saw at baseline. Also, AFC can fluctuate a lot from cycle to cycle.

I can’t have IUI due to a tubal ligation many years ago - long story and bad choice. In regards to the follicles, I had a ton of stress with my daughter graduating and several other things prior to hystogram. I just had the histogram/AFC done 5-17. I am hoping it is related to the stress. I am also pondering asking my MD if I only have three why can’t I have them frozen and retrieve again next month. I just think it is odd that all of my numbers are great and I did not have fertility issues when trying to become pregnant with my two children. There are not many fertility places around where I live.

These stories should give you hope. Sounds like lots of women got their BFPs with only 1 or 2 eggs!

I was on the April IVF boards and one lady had 3 eggs retrieved. Her clinic ONLY does 5 day transfers. She is now pregnant and all is looking great so far. So, to echo what others have said, it is possible!!

Best wishes to you!

[QUOTE=mustangshelby_1967]Thank you for the input. My partner and I discussed in great detail why can’t our doctor try if I only have three. The other question is, maybe I have always only made three and was able to get pregnant. This has been a very different experience that has caused many tears so far and we haven’t even begun our attempt. I greatly appreciate the deep breath comment. I will take your advice and look into other clinics. Congrats[/QUOTE]
@mustangshelby 1967: when we had our egg retrieval, about half actually fertilized. From there, 2/3 were actually worthy of freezing or using. I know from other women in the waiting room that the doctors didn’t want to do the procedure for less than 4 or 5 follicles. One girl has two canceled for only producing 2 once, 4 another time.

Your doctor is probably weighing your chance of success given your age. Does any place near you do genetic testing of embyos? That increases your chance more than anything. Or maybe you would respond better to a different injectable? I’d compare how aggressive your treatment was versus some others on these forums. Not all doctors are created equal- my last doctor missed quite a few things for me. Finally, this is a tough pill to swallow. I’d totally seek another opinion before agreeing.

On another note, RMA, a clinic near me in NJ, is doing a “natural” IVF, where they are doing no drugs and doing the retrieval for the one egg women naturally produce. The purpose is to study what the drugs do to the follicles, but also what happens when there is one really good follicle, versus normal IVF which produces so many more.

Good luck!

Hi Ladies!

I am on CD8 with a new RE. My AFC was 15, however I also have the problem with just a few follies taking the lead. All of my labs are normal. In all of my previous cycles (see my siggie) I was on max doses of everything.

My new RE has me on mild stim protocol which DH & I were floored when he told us that! The new RE is a PhD and said that studies have shown that high doses of exogenous FSH will actually cause damage within the cells–despite that the embryo looks perfect!

What I’m trying to say is that MANY fertility clinics are looking to boost their pregnancy rates, and if you only produce a couple of follies that decreases your chances, your decreasing their rate of success. DH was resistant to changing REs for a long time (5 IVF cycles) but is glad we finally made the change. I now have 3 follies in the lead 12,12, 10 & total of 13 little ones < 8mm. But my new RE hasn’t even whispered cancellation.

If you’re not happy, do your research, don’t give up, and find a RE who will “customize” a protocol for you, given your needs as an individual. Best of luck to you!

I agree with previous posters that have said if you are not happy with your RE find another one. Just because they can see 3 follicles now it does not mean that you will only end up with 3. For my first ivf I only retrieved 5 and I have a son. When I started this cycle, at first they only saw 3 now they see 6. I go back tomorrow and they may see more. Even if they don’t want to do a transfer with only 3, so many women are doing embryo banking and doing FETs later, that this is not a novel concept. Where are you located? Maybe someone on the board can also recommend an RE. As we get older, our fertility changes quickly so things may be different now than when you had your other two children. Having said that, I would not just give up because they only see 3 follicles right now. I also agree with whomever said that some offices are so concerned with their success rate that they discourage people from trying with their own eggs first. Good luck.

[QUOTE=mustangshelby_1967]I have a question for anyone who has been
through IVF- I am 38 years old. My FSH was 7, my Estradoil was 44, prolactin, and TSH all good. I had hystogram and it revealed 3 follicles. My doctor was very diasappointed. She said she will place me on maximum medications but gave poor numbers for producing 5 or more follicles. She recommended egg donation. It was extremely disheartening. Any comments thoughts. This is our first time with IVF and I want to try with my own eggs but feel discouraged. She said she would cancel IVF round unless I could produce 5 or more follicles. Any thoughts???[/QUOTE]

Have you tried/considered doing IUI? With that number of follies I would seek out a second opinion from another RE if they’re going to cancel your cycle based on poor response.