Timing the IUI

Here is a question that is all over the web but the answer is still not clear…

I had my IUI 26 hours after the trigger. My tech and RE say that the washed sperms will live for 2 days but I have been reading a lot of conflicting data on the web.

But many reports seems to suggest that typical ovulation post trigger occurs after 36 hours and washed sperms live only 12 hours. By that measure, I may be cutting really close.

After paying close to $400 for IUI and depleting my DH’s sperms, I am wondering if it should have been done later. BDing within the fertile window may not help now as DH enough time to replenish :frowning:

What is your understanding of the timing for IUI?

I’m pretty sure that the 12-hour number is for thawed sperm. Fresh live longer.

And sperm recover pretty quickly. Some is better than none!

My lab says 36 hours at the most, but most start dying off after 12 hours.

I think that is why my RE suggests back to back IUI’s, to make sure it is covered.

I don’t know how long the washed sperm live. All I do know is that washed sperm will live shorter than regular non-washed sperm.

This will be my protocol this month (first IUI):

• CD14 u/s in the AM, and if the follies are mature, trigger at that time. I guess around 8am.
  • CD15 IUI in the AM, I guess around 8am (so 24 hours after trigger).
  • CD16 I go back in for an u/s in the AM, I guess around 7am, and if I haven’t ovulated yet, they do another IUI (so 48 hours after trigger).

I have heard/read different opinions on how long washed sperm live. When I asked the NP this time, she said they survive for only 12 hours if outside of the body; but once they are inside the uterus, they stick around for 3-5 days.

[QUOTE=HannahInWaiting]I have heard/read different opinions on how long washed sperm live. When I asked the NP this time, she said they survive for only 12 hours if outside of the body; but once they are inside the uterus, they stick around for 3-5 days.[/QUOTE]
That is a big difference from what I heard - I hope it is true.