I switched REs when I moved on to IVF, after about 8 months with my previous one. I love my local RE, but the clinic she is with doesn’t have its own IVF lab. They work with another local clinic for IVF, but neither has a great success rate, so I decided to go out of state to one that has one of the top success rates for my age.
I told my RE what I was doing straight out. I need her to do local monitoring for me, and she was happy to do that. She was every bit as nice when I went in for my saline US as she was when I was just her patient, and I’m sure she will continue to be. She also knows that I think she rocks (I’ve told her so, and have referred two friends) and that I am an obsessive researcher, so she gets it that it’s not a personal decision, it’s about the probability of me getting pregnant with a healthy baby.
I think it’s up to you how much you want to say/whether you want to explain it. If you are comfortable saying that you want to get a second opinion/fresh set of eyes, that you’ve appreciated all the help, and you might be back again, then I’d do that, since it leaves the door open. If you’re thinking of going to Cornell or CCRM or one of the really well-known clinics, I’d mention that as well, since all the docs seem to get that logic.
I do think that the idea of picking up all your records in person is good, just because it gives you the opportunity to make a copy of them. I had a lot of mine sent directly to the clinic I’m working with, and I dread having to do it again if I end up switching again, since I have OB records at one place, RE records at another, and rheumatologist records at yet another.