TMI - Passing a Chemical/Miscarriage

I had a chemical pregnancy from my November cycle. This was my third. I have been waiting for AF for a couple of weeks now. Starting a few days ago I have been having weird pinching pains and I figured she was coming. Started spotting yesterday. This morning was a little heavier so I used a tampon. Went to the bathroom a minute ago, tampon was not full, but definitely AF - like. wiped and on the tp was a walnut sized piece of tissue. Of course I examined it. It was an actual sac. One end of it was torn, but it basically looked like a deflated balloon. The sac itself was very thick and pink in color.

My question is - is it possible that this was the gestational sac? it shouldn’t be walnut sized so early, should it? what else could it be that it is completely sealed on all sides?

sorry for grossing anyone out…

Sorry about your miscarriage, we have been through three of them. What you are explaining does kind of sounds like a gestational sac, but you are right a chemical would not be near that big.

I have had some crazy periods after IVF, miscarriages, etc. and I have had lots of clots, very large. Is it possible that it was a clot of some form?

Did you ever feel like you miscarried back in November??? I know that is a hard question, because when it happens so early on it seems just like a period. Is there anyway it continued to grow some and then passed? I am asking because we had one miscarriage where we knew it was doomed from the beginnning. Low, crazy betas, sac measuring behind, etc. But somehow it continued to grow until almost 9 weeks, we even saw a heartbeat, then the heartbeat finally stopped and I was taken off the progesterone. The miscarriage was horrible. Next to childbirth, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Sorry, I don’t think I really answered your questions very well, just though I would share.

this is my first bleed since my cycle.

I had a chemical last year, only ever developed a gestational sac. My m/c was very clear - it happened about 3 days after I stopped my progesterone at 7 1/2 weeks. I had one large (maybe deck of cards) sized piece of tissue I passed. I didn’t examine it, but I’m sure that was the sac and probably some endometrial lining. Obviously you should call your RE to be sure, but I think the size may be deceiving as there may be other tissue wth it or it may stretch as you’re examining it…

I’m sorry that you’re having to go through this. :grouphug:

[quote=HopefulinCO]I had a chemical last year, only ever developed a gestational sac. My m/c was very clear - it happened about 3 days after I stopped my progesterone at 7 1/2 weeks. I had one large (maybe deck of cards) sized piece of tissue I passed. I didn’t examine it, but I’m sure that was the sac and probably some endometrial lining. Obviously you should call your RE to be sure, but I think the size may be deceiving as there may be other tissue wth it or it may stretch as you’re examining it…

I’m sorry that you’re having to go through this. :grouphug:[/quote]

thanks. Emotionally I am ok. This is the first time I have ever seen anything like this, so I was more curious than anything else.

This may sound gross but did you save it? If it is a sac, perhaps is can be evaluated for the cause of the miscarriage. Just a thought.

I’m so sorry this happened :frowning:

[quote=waitingwomb]This may sound gross but did you save it? If it is a sac, perhaps is can be evaluated for the cause of the miscarriage. Just a thought.

I’m so sorry this happened :([/quote]

I didn’t…I thought about it briefly, but I really wouldn’t know where to take it. Plus, I am sure they would charge me out of pocket for any testing and since we are done trying I didn’t see the point.

So sorry

With my chemicals and then last m/c I have always passed a good size clot that I just assumed was the gestational sac. So sorry this cycle ended this way. You mentioned you were done trying, do you mind if I ask you what your next step is? We are also done trying (as far as IVF goes), yet would love for our daugher to have a sibling. Thinking about looking into foster to adopt within the next year to see if it’s a good fit for our family. Just curious what your plans are.

well, I did enter a contest that SIRM is having for a free IVf cycle. But, if that doesn’t pan out (which it probably won’t) we are done done. My bff offered to be a traditional surrogate for us, but after researching that I just don’t think we can do it. I worry about her long term emotional health - and that of the baby. For the same reason I don’t think we will try to adopt. I have a very real fear of bringing a child into the family who causes more emotional distress than happiness.

I know that there are tons of perfectly happy, well adjusted adopted kids - but I also know that it is just as likely that the adopted kids (especially foster kids) will have serious attachment and identity issues.

edited to add that we will probably try on our own, even though that working is highly unlikely with our history and DX. I have been thinking about the royal jelly and bee pollen in honey. Mostly though, I think I am beginning to come to terms with being a family of three.

I’ve had two chemicals. One was at 6wks and the other was 5wks. Both times I did pass clots similiar to what you’re describing. I mentioned it to my RE and he said it’s normal. Bascially all the hormones make your uterine lining much thicker than a natural cycle. Therefore, the clots are from the uterine lining shedding. Hope this helps.

I am a supervisor in Pathology at a hospital, and what you are describing is the gestational sac. It grows very quickly, so even a few days can make a difference in the size. It looks like a clear, jelly/fluid filled sac. It would have been useless to save it. To karyotype the tissue, you need viable cells… able to grow and divide in culture. It is not possible to karyotype naturally miscarried tissue, since the cells are already degenerating. For the most part, in needs to be a D&C, and even then it doesn’t always produce a result.
So sorry for your loss. I just went through a miscarriage myself. I saw your thread about the SIRM contest and liked the page so I can vote for you. BOL :slight_smile:

I HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME IN NOVEMBER TOO, I WAS AT THE RE OFFICE WAITING TO GET A D&C AND WAS ONLY SPOTTING WHEN I WENT TO THE BATHROOM AND FOUND THE SAME THING! SO THEY TESTED IT AND IT WAS THE SAC :frowning: SOUNDS JUST LIKE MINE…SORRY IT SUCKS. I WAS ONLY LIKE 6 WEEKS. AFTER I PASSED THAT I BLEED REALLY BAD FOR TWO DAYS AND THEN IT WAS DONE! AND BETA WAS 0 WHEN IT WAS AROUND 250 TWO DAYS BEFORE. PRAYERS TO YOU!:pray:

Thanks so much to all of you. I appreciate your comments and your kind words. And thank you luv4rachela for liking the page :slight_smile:

[quote=maryevelyn]well, I did enter a contest that SIRM is having for a free IVf cycle. But, if that doesn’t pan out (which it probably won’t) we are done done. My bff offered to be a traditional surrogate for us, but after researching that I just don’t think we can do it. I worry about her long term emotional health - and that of the baby. For the same reason I don’t think we will try to adopt. I have a very real fear of bringing a child into the family who causes more emotional distress than happiness.

I know that there are tons of perfectly happy, well adjusted adopted kids - but I also know that it is just as likely that the adopted kids (especially foster kids) will have serious attachment and identity issues.

edited to add that we will probably try on our own, even though that working is highly unlikely with our history and DX. I have been thinking about the royal jelly and bee pollen in honey. Mostly though, I think I am beginning to come to terms with being a family of three.[/quote]

Best wishes that you get a natural surprise. You just never know. I’ve been on these boards for several years and have seen some amazing natural surprise stories. Never give up hope!
I understand on the adopting part. I will have to do some serious soul searching to decide if I’m (we’re) up to parenting a foster baby. Time will tell on that.

[quote=Cali]Best wishes that you get a natural surprise. You just never know. I’ve been on these boards for several years and have seen some amazing natural surprise stories. Never give up hope!
I understand on the adopting part. I will have to do some serious soul searching to decide if I’m (we’re) up to parenting a foster baby. Time will tell on that.[/quote]

Thanks - I know miracles happen. Of the 10 or so women that I cycled with in 09, 4 have had surprise natural pregnancies after IVF. Unfortunately, in 11 years of trying I have never had a natural pregnancy (not even a chemical).
Best of luck to you with the adoption decision. I think it is a wonderful thing to do - and it takes a very strong person to do it.

With both of my chemical pregnancies I’ve passed what I think was the sac, about the size of a quarter. It’s a traumatic experience, I’m so sorry. :frowning: