To Lap or not to Lap - looking for advice

Hello all! I am looking for some advice and am hoping you all can help me out. As you can see from my signature, I have been struggling with IF for quite some time. I have never had a Lap and am wondering if I should get one done before we start another IVF cycle. My RE is not recommending it, and is letting me make that decision. He does want to do an endometrial biopsy which is something I definitely want.
What do you all think? Should I have a Lap done? I do not have pelvic pain and as far as I know do not have endometriosis, but I can’t help wonder if there is something going on in there…
I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks in advance! :babydust: :babydust:

I had a laparoscopy two years ago, and for me the recovery was terrible. I was in a lot of pain for several days, for sure. My doctors did find mild endometriosis in two locations in particular which was “burned” away with a laser. We were encouraged to try naturally after the procedure, and even did another round of injectibles/IUI, but no success. I should add there was reason to suspect endo as I have extremely painful periods.

I may be wrong, but I Think that the IVF process actually bypasses at least some of the detrimental effects of endo by removing the eggs from the ovaries, then placing them directly in the uterus. Apparently the natural journey of the egg from ovary to Fallopian tube is when the toxic environment created by the endo most greatly impacts the egg. If this is the case, the laparoscopy may serve little purpose in your treatment, unless it helps you to conceive naturally before moving on to IVF.

Good luck!

I think that it would be a waste of time unless you had reason to believe you had a lot of scar tissue from endo. If you have had a saline sono and everything looked good, it would seem like a waste of time (for recovery). I would just ask to be treated with steroids in the event that you do have mild endo causing an immune response. That is just me though. Good luck!

I was wondering about this as well because my dr. Suggested to do the lap but im not in favour of it since I don’t have any symptoms. My tubes are open, no cysts have been found on ultrasound plus blood flow to uterus was normal which is not the case ith women who suffer from the endometriosis.

Did you have your immunoloy tested plus hla matches??? Maybe answers are there.

[QUOTE=cosmopolitan4112008]I was wondering about this as well because my dr. Suggested to do the lap but im not in favour of it since I don’t have any symptoms. My tubes are open, no cysts have been found on ultrasound plus blood flow to uterus was normal which is not the case ith women who suffer from the endometriosis.

Did you have your immunoloy tested plus hla matches??? Maybe answers are there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I don’t know what hla is and I have never had immunology tested before. What does that test show?

Thanks for the responses ladies! It’s so hard to know what to do when dealing with all this. I appreciate all the advice!

I had a lap a couple years ago after we had tried everything. RE didn’t recommend it at first because he had no reason to believe it was necessary. But we finally decided to do it and he found stage 3 endo. I had zero symptoms. I mean zero (besides the IF). I didn’t find the recovery to be bad at all and was glad I did it. It was just good to know either way whether there was endo and quite frankly to knock it off the list of treatment options.

[QUOTE=KTF]Thanks for the response. I don’t know what hla is and I have never had immunology tested before. What does that test show?[/QUOTE]
Reproductive immunology is a long story, but basically it tests if there your body rejects the embryos. I would advise you to see more on google and dr. Braverman’s website.

[QUOTE=mabelina01]I had a lap a couple years ago after we had tried everything. RE didn’t recommend it at first because he had no reason to believe it was necessary. But we finally decided to do it and he found stage 3 endo. I had zero symptoms. I mean zero (besides the IF). I didn’t find the recovery to be bad at all and was glad I did it. It was just good to know either way whether there was endo and quite frankly to knock it off the list of treatment options.[/QUOTE]
Before your laporoscopy, has youe blood flow to uterus been checked?

Wow, that’s interesting…no symptoms…that’s why I can’t help but wonder if something is going on in there.
Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your baby!

Yep - everything looked good. No blockage. I’m so on the fence on this. If we don’t do one and our next IVF fails…I will wonder, what if?
Tough decision.

I was asking Mabelina01 if her blood flow to uterus was checked:)
Before the lap.

Hopefully she will answer.