Trying to start IVF


#1

[FONT=Georgia]I am trying to start my IVF cycle, after 2 failed IUI’s. I started Lupron on 12-25-11 and went in for bloodwork / ultrasound on 1-3-12 to be cleared to start Menopur and Gonal-F. They delayed the start of those meds due to cysts on my ovaries. I continued on the Lupron and went in again for BW/US today. The cysts were still there?[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]What now?? I feel so defeated… My question is Has anyone out there been able to start IVF with cysts on their ovaries, or do I need to wait until they clear up completely?[/FONT]


#2

I’m so sorry you’re being delayed :frowning: When we want something so bad even a week feels like forever!
Unfortunately, they’re going to make sure that the cysts have resolved before going forward; reason being that they produce estrogen. I had a cyst when I first started and it resolved on it’s own after my next period. The BC pill is also known to help them go away.
Good luck to you! I hope you can get started soon!


#3

[quote=mommy2jack][FONT=Georgia]I am trying to start my IVF cycle, after 2 failed IUI’s. I started Lupron on 12-25-11 and went in for bloodwork / ultrasound on 1-3-12 to be cleared to start Menopur and Gonal-F. They delayed the start of those meds due to cysts on my ovaries. I continued on the Lupron and went in again for BW/US today. The cysts were still there?[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]What now?? I feel so defeated… My question is Has anyone out there been able to start IVF with cysts on their ovaries, or do I need to wait until they clear up completely?[/FONT][/quote]

I am in a holding pattern now after being delayed in Nov for cyst. I was put on BCP’s for 5 weeks in an effort to dissolve them and won’t know until CD2 if that occur. If not I will probably be sidelined again.

It happens very very often. Some RE’s depending on the size and your e2 levels will either move forward with the cyst even with the presence of a cyst and some will actually drain the cyst and then start you right away on stims. I have also had both done before and did not have a successful cycle.

Prior to starting my successful cycle for my DS I had 3 rather large cyst. I was put on BCP’s for 18 days with shrunk them considerably and due to the loss soon of my IVF coverage we went ahead with stims. My E2 was 52 so they felt that the extra estrogen wouldn’t impact my response to the meds.

Trust in your Re’s decision.


#4

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I am actually going through something very similar right now. I went in for my baseline appointment, and my lining was thick like it would be in the middle of a cycle. Also, I had a large cyst. We are not sure if the cyst caused the cycle to be off, but it is likely.

But with that being said you can cycle with a cyst…I have done it in the past. The way my clinic decides if the cyst is a factor is by your hormones. If your hormones are normal levels, then it is not likely that the cyst is producing hormones. If your hormone levels are elevated, then the cyst is probably producing hormones and it would not be ok to start your cycle. Hope this makes sense. I know it is hard to be patient, but keep in mind that it will be a waste to do an IVF cycle that does not have good chances at working. Good luck to you!!!


#5

well…It’s on hold…again!!!

[FONT=Georgia]Just spoke to the RN and the Dr reviewed scans and E2 levels (360). She told me that I can not start more meds and I need to up the Lupron from 10 to 20 units for 1 week. This is so frustrating…[/FONT]


#6

I had the same thing happen twice, and like you my Dr. upped my Lupron (this last cycle I actually asked to be put up all the way from 10 to 40). The first time when we doubled it, the cyst continued to progress but other follicles developed normally and we converted to an IUI. The second time when I went up to 40 it decreased enough for me to go ahead with the cycle. I think OCPs are even better for getting the cysts to shrink, though. If it doesn’t work in another week, they may have you go on OCPs for a month and try next time. It’s SO frustrating to be postponed, I know, but trust that your RE wants the best timing possible for success.

Heather

PS: Kandygurl, I’ve been wondering how you’ve been! Hope your cyst shrinks down soon!