TTC 5 years now... New to board with questions

April will make it 5 years now that my husband and I have been TTC. I am almost to the point of adoption which is something I have always wanted to do along with giving birth to at least one biological child. Before we go forth with foster adoption or making the decision to give up and not to have kids at all, I just wanted to see what my options are.

I currently have two nieces and a nephew that we care for but they should be going back to live with there mother sometime this summer and so now it is our time to start a family.

I am 32 years old and my husband is 29, neither of us have any kids. I have always had a regular cycle of 28 days with the very occasional lateness. I have always had heavy periods but for about the last year they seem to be a little more normal/lighter. As stated above we have been trying for just at 5 years and have never gotten pregnant. I would LOVE to do fertility testing but unfortunately our insurance does not cover it.

Every year I get my blood work done and everything is in range. I have low blood sugar and often times I am hypoglycemic. My blood pressure is good, thyroid always checks out okay etc… My A1C was 74.

I do not seem to show signs of PCOS, (not an apple shape, regular periods, sugar is not high etc…) but I often wonder if I have it. I do have a dark patch of skin on the back of my neck. Can a PCP check for PCOS? How do they check/diagnose PCOS?

I am just really starting to face the reality that we may not have children. I did not realize how long we had been trying until I thought about our 5 year anniversary coming up. I tried not to worry about getting pregnant after about the 2 year mark since we could not have testing done and I guess in doing so I really did not think of it much at all. Now I feel like time is running out and I do not have many resources since the testing etc is not covered. I am looking for any guidance that can be given.
I also wanted to say that we may possibly try and get financing for me to have the lap band surgery done. I am great hopes that if we go that route we will possibly get pregnant after I lose weight but since we have no idea why we are not conceiving I don’t know if losing the weight will be the problem solver. I remember asking my OBGYN if it was okay for me and my husband to try and conceive even at my weight and she said “of course” and said she did not see a problem with it at all. She said that since I had regular monthly cycles all should be fine.

I do know that I absolutely must lose the weight though and that is why we are going to try and finance the procedure.

I also wanted to say that we may possibly try and get financing for me to have the lap band surgery done. I am great hopes that if we go that route we will possibly get pregnant after I lose weight but since we have no idea why we are not conceiving I don’t know if losing the weight will be the problem solver. I remember asking my OBGYN if it was okay for me and my husband to try and conceive even at my weight and she said “of course” and said she did not see a problem with it at all. She said that since I had regular monthly cycles all should be fine.

I do know that I absolutely must lose the weight though and that is why we are going to try and finance the procedure.

So sorry things are not working out for you yet. :welcome: to the forum. There are a lot of incredibly knowledgeable ladies here.

It is so unfortunately that so much of fertility testing is often not covered by insurance. Can you try to save for some basic testing, like blood work on day 3 (for your estrogen, FSH and AMH levels). Have you tried charting your cycle or using ovulation predictor kits (you can buy them for as little as 25 cents on the internet). It is possible to have a period without ovulation or to have short luteal phase (ovulation to period portion of your cycle). Another important test is to check if your tubes are opened (HSG).

You mentioned your weight. From what I read extra weight (as little as 10% extra) can affect fertility. Of course it does not affect everyone’s fertility and even heavily overweight women can get pregnant. But it will certainly not hurt and can help if you lose weight.

Another test you might want to save for is your husband’s semen analysis. It could be that he is a problem.

Good luck to you!

I’m not sure what part of the world you live in but I have never heard of fertility diagnosis not being covered. Treatment not covered yes, but diagnosis should be covered. Doctors can’t know what is wrong without diagnosing you and if that isn’t covered then that’s pretty worthless health insurance.
Also check with your coverage, sometimes you can have tests run under different portions of coverage. For Example-I have no fertility treatment coverage however, I do have blood work/lab coverage, so any blood work I needed to do as part of my treatment just got billed under bloodwork/labs.

Before calling it quits - IMO
-At this point have you talked to you OB?
-Charting your cycles with ovulation predictor tests would be great as well. Normal cycles don’t mean much if you don’t ovulate on the normal day. When we were trying for our son with IUI we did zero monitoring because my RE knew my cycles were normal. I did home OPK tests, having never charted before. After 3 months I found that even with a normal 28 day cycle I ovulate on cd8-9, NOT cd14. So for the 1st two tries we were completely off in when to try. Had I been charting I would have known and more than likely gotten pregnant on try one.

• get your DH semes analysis done (should also be covered). It is quick and easy and could be your answer right there. If it comes back ok and you really want to keep trying talk to an RE, some do free initial consults for people without fertility coverage. If not free then it will be $300ish for them to tell you what they think.

I live in the US and have good insurance–major provider, established employer–and my diagnostic tests are only covered if they’re for something that could affect my health. Fertility-related diagnostics are not covered for me. That being said, my tests have generally been covered because they fall under labs and health-concerned. My husband’s SA, however, was not.

I would absolutely also recommend at the minimum day 3 blood work for you and a sperm analysis for your partner.

Also, if you’re not doing OPKs and charting your temps, it is worth doing. I also have perfect 28-day cycles. But unlike stm2009, I ovulate late in my cycle and have a short luteal phase. But without OPKs, I didn’t know that.

I have stinky insurance, but my testing and the semen analysis were covered.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thanks for all the input ladies.

stm2009, my insurance does not pay for diagnostic or treatment of fertility.

I will definitely try and find out if and when I am ovulating and will see if I can get my PCP to test my for your estrogen, FSH and AMH on day 3 and also check my HSG. I have a lot of reading to do and I now feel like I have guidance which is what I was looking for.

With my insurance I get one trip to my gyno for my annual check up and anything after that is out of pocket so that is why I am hoping to do this through my PCP. I think I will see if they can run all the test that were suggested and then I will go for my annual and see why my OBGYN suggest.