Ultrasound on day 8 for IUI, too early?

Today is the first day of my period and I will start taking clomid starting tonight for 5 days. My RE scheduled me for my next U/S next Friday, which would be day 8 of my cycle. I pay from my own pocket every expense related to the IUI, so I’m afraid that next Friday is too early and they’ll ask me to go back for another U/S on Monday.
My questions are…

1. Is day 8 too early for the U/S?
  2. Does clomid make the follicles grow faster than they would without medication and that’s why I’m going on day 8?
  3. even if the follicles were ready, would my lining be ready?

Thank you for your comments!

I go to Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine which is well known for fertility clinics in the country. After the first month, my meds always started on Cycle Day 3 and I had US on day 8 with IUI on cycle day 10. So I don’t think day 8 is too early. IUI has the highest chance of working on the first try so I would say it is worth the extra us if needed. Just my opinion. Good luck!

While my first iui worked I was told its uncommon and depending on our issues 12 -25 percent chance per cycle. This being said it isn’t too early at all clomid or some is wonderful and really stims the follies. Some women don’t have a good response some do. My re will do a us the third day of my cycle to check for cysts but if clear like you 5 days clomid three days later us to check the follies then determining what they find ie size they typically will either put you back on a drug or have you induce ovulation for the procedure. What she’s doing seems standard and the way mine does things. I will say this if you can have them check yor progeaterone before hand and if it’s low then ask for the supplement. While my first took I mc because of low progeaterone I wasn’t taking it… Best to make sure first I don’t want to see others go through what I did

[quote=Camila]Today is the first day of my period and I will start taking clomid starting tonight for 5 days. My RE scheduled me for my next U/S next Friday, which would be day 8 of my cycle. I pay from my own pocket every expense related to the IUI, so I’m afraid that next Friday is too early and they’ll ask me to go back for another U/S on Monday.
My questions are…

1. Is day 8 too early for the U/S?
  2. Does clomid make the follicles grow faster than they would without medication and that’s why I’m going on day 8?
  3. even if the follicles were ready, would my lining be ready?

Thank you for your comments![/quote]

My meds always start on day 3 (follistim) and the first ultrasound is cd8. I only had 2 u/s this month then triggered.

I usually have a scan on CD 8 then if im not ready do another one. Only 1 of my IUI’s have i been ready to trigger on CD8 and my lining was perfect.

But i can honestly say i would rather have a scan to early instead of to late.

Goodluck!

Thank you all for your responses!!!

As Tiffany said she was only ready to trigger on CD8 in one occasion because of the thickness of the lining, and that was one of my concerns. At first I thought that maybe Clomid was accelerating the whole process, including the growth of the lining, but I read that Clomid might actually make it thinner in some cases.

Thank you Zombiedolly for your comment about progesterone levels, I’ll make sure I ask them.

I guess I need to relax and no doubt what the doctor tells me… It’s just that with limited funds I want to make the most out of it. I think I’d behave differently if I didn’t feel that from my doctor perspective this is just a business :confused:

Good luck to all of you!!

[B][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/B]Well… In the end I changed my appointment from CD8 to CD12 for work-related reasons, and it was still too early! I took Clomid from CD3-7, and today (CD12) my follicles were in the ~11mm range, so I have to go back on Friday (CD15) for another U/S. I know that everybody responds differently to clomid, but there was no way my follicles were going to be ready on CD8!

Hi Camilla,

I’m glad it worked out well for you this cycle - switching to day 12. My RE did the first u/s on day 4 (would’ve been day 3, but she had been out of town so we only made the plan at the end of day 3) to get a baseline, and ended up having me back in on day 6 and 7 for followed up u/s because I was ovulating WAY early, had a 14mm follicle on day 4 - that said, I’ve had very short cycles lately (post a surgery that removed endometriomas). I think if your typical is a longer cycle, clomid USUALLY makes them shorter so it’s worth going in a little early… but sometimes can make it later as well.

(I ended up triggering on day 7, but could’ve as early as day 6. Doc was ready - I wasn’t. Glad I waited, went from one mature follicle to three!)

Best of luck, hope you’re in great shape now!