Unused donor eggs

Hi All,
After several miscarriages, my doctor advised me that I had less than 10% chance of having my own healthy eggs get fertilized and advised that I obtain donor eggs for my next IVF cycle. I have purchased 6 frozen eggs from the World Egg Bank from a great donor. Then, to my surprise, got pregnant on my own and no longer need them. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with them? I’ve contacted the World Egg Bank and they will not buy them back. I don’t want them to go to waste as I’m sure that someone can use them and save a lot of money because I wouldn’t expect to get all of my money back.

1st of all congrats on your BFP

Secondly you might want to hold on to them for a while just to be sure everything is ok.
We have 3 embryos frozen that we probably won’t be using but there was no way I would make that decision early on in the pregnancy because you never know what will happen. Even now at 32wks along, we still haven’t done anything with them.

But be careful how you word things here because you aren’t allowed to “sell” anything on this forum. I’m sure an Admin will be by shortly to put the real words to the rules on this one.

good luck!!

Thanks for your advice. I purchased the eggs last year and already had my baby so I feel OK to give up the eggs. I just don’t know what to do with them now or how to even let people know that I have them…which is a shame because someone who may really want them can save a ton of money. It’s so frustrating that we spend so much money on these IVF treatment and then have no options to recover any of it in the end…even if the treatments don’t work.

[quote=stm2009]1st of all congrats on your BFP

Secondly you might want to hold on to them for a while just to be sure everything is ok.
We have 3 embryos frozen that we probably won’t be using but there was no way I would make that decision early on in the pregnancy because you never know what will happen. Even now at 32wks along, we still haven’t done anything with them.

But be careful how you word things here because you aren’t allowed to “sell” anything on this forum. I’m sure an Admin will be by shortly to put the real words to the rules on this one.

good luck!![/quote]

I agree that these are terrible to waste/not use. Have you called your RE or a local RE and explained your situation? They might have a patient in need and be willing to work something out. You probably wouldn’t want to do this, but you could likely donate them to a clinic as well. While not financially ideal for you, it would be an amazing gift to a couple! Just trying to think of ideas to help these eggs find a good home!

Oh well then congrats on your baby! :slight_smile:

You could check out the donor sibling registry website as well. Sometimes there are people on there looking for a particular donor, usually more with DS but I have seen DE on there as well. We used DS and since the donor is no longer participating with the bank they won’t buy back our unused vials either, that’s how I know to look there. It might be a long shot but worth a try.

Other than that the only thing I could think of is like Lucy said, to check with your or another local RE and see what they suggest or if they work with patients about this kind of thing.

You could try putting them on Miracles waiting. Its a website for Donated [B]EMBRYOS~ [/B]but I wouldnt think there would be an issue with placing an “Ad” on there. Contact the owner of the site, Paloma, she is a great person to work with and ask her. Its a website where donors of embryos and recipients of embryos can meet and place ads so donors can donate their embryos to couples who are in need of embryos.

Congrats on your baby!!

My partner and I are looking into egg donation and then eventually surrogacy. It seems like a waste to not use donated and processed eggs. Would anyone who has them consider donating them to us? It would all depend on whether it’s A) legal B) a donor that we are also happy with C) cost effective to transfer it to the lab we are considering using. I figure I’d pose the question here to see how this group feel about this.