Update/Vent

So I just need to get this off my chest…

So Dh had the appointment with urology today, and it turns out he has bilateral varicoceles. This wouldn’t in itself be a big deal except that 1)It requires full blown surgery in a very delicate area and 2) It requires the ability to take a full week off of work and two weeks light duty, which, when you’re active duty Navy on sea duty, that’s not happening.

So now we have a diagnosis, a likely cause for why we haven’t gotten pregnant, and a solution. But we cant get it done before deployment, and we’ll be transferring too soon after deployment overseas where they don’t have surgical facilities, so it’s not happening.

SO we know whats wrong and can’t even fix it. I’m so beyond frustrated. Part of me wants to push the issue, but I also can’t force him to have this invasive surgery when theres really no reason to fix it with the exception of surgery, especially since IVF is an option for us (albeit an expensive one)… whats worth more, the $5000-$7500, or making my husband go through an uncomfortable surgery… I dont know. Maybe it’s just not worth trying anymore…

Although it sounds like it would be hard to have the surgery with his schedule, I think you should try your best to push for it. My best friend’s husband had the surgery after two years of trying. It was outpatient and he was in some pain but not too terrible. He then took clomid to help his counts go up quicker and within a year they were pregnant. They now have a healthy son. If there is any way that he can do the surgery now, which I’m not sure there is, I would definitely push for it. I’m sorry that you have to go through this. It’s extremely frustrating. :grr:
Best of luck to you and your husband and keep us posted!
:grouphug:

Im glad you know what is causing things. I would push him on having the surgery. If he can’t get it done right before deployment have him do it right after so he can rest up during the move before checking into his new command. If we were put into this that is what we’d do. I couldn’t imagine moving overseas and know whats wrong and not be able to have it fixed.

I’ve known a few girls on another ttc forum who’s husbands who have had it done and they were almost back to normal after a week.

:cross: :cross:

My hubby is USAF and had to have surgery for a varicocele while he was stationed in Korea… where will you be going that there’s not medical facilities? When we were in England we thought it had reoccurred, however we chose to wait until we returned to the states to fix it (4 months) and when we got here it had gone away by itself. So some overseas facilities can fix them.

Another thing - my husband had pain associated with his varicocele. So surgery was something he really needed. Does your husband have pain? Because if he does, and it is affecting his daily life and work, then they will have to do surgery. Luckily we didn’t have to play that card, since they were fine doing the surgery. While he was in Korea he had it done by Korean doctors at a Korean hospital, so you may think about getting it done on the economy where you are stationed. Tricare paid for it.

I hope that helps!! Let me know if you have any questions. His surgery was in 2004.

[QUOTE=mominashoe]My hubby is USAF and had to have surgery for a varicocele while he was stationed in Korea… where will you be going that there’s not medical facilities? When we were in England we thought it had reoccurred, however we chose to wait until we returned to the states to fix it (4 months) and when we got here it had gone away by itself. So some overseas facilities can fix them.

Another thing - my husband had pain associated with his varicocele. So surgery was something he really needed. Does your husband have pain? Because if he does, and it is affecting his daily life and work, then they will have to do surgery. Luckily we didn’t have to play that card, since they were fine doing the surgery. While he was in Korea he had it done by Korean doctors at a Korean hospital, so you may think about getting it done on the economy where you are stationed. Tricare paid for it.

I hope that helps!! Let me know if you have any questions. His surgery was in 2004.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! We’ll be in Sasebo Japan and its just a small base clinic there. For any procedures we have to go to Yokosaka. I’m hoping we can get the embolization somewhere instead, but i doubt it. He has no pain so if it weren’t for the fertility we’d have never known it was there.

I appreciate all of your responses. There’s no way to do it till April at the soonest, so we’ll just have to hope and pray that God will show us what to do!