Uterine Septum Pre-Op please read

Hello all, I am going tomorrow to have my uterine septum removed with hysterscopy. This procedure is not covered by insurance so I will be paying out of pocket. The hospital is estimating that it will cost $7 k!! They said that they inlude a chest x-ray in pre op?? My question is what did your pre-op for operative hysterscopy include?? Does this sound a bit ridiculous to you. Any thoughts/ experiences would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hi Chloe!

I had an operative hysteroscopy twice this year for my septum and my pre-op did not include a chest xray either time. My pre-op consisted of them taking my medical history (again), blood work, blood pressue, height/weight…those sorts of things. I’m not sure why a chest x-ray would be needed? Maybe to make sure that your lungs are clear to undergo anesthesia?

Good Luck with your surgery, it’s a pretty easy recovery. I was back to work the next day after the 2nd one (my first one was done in conjunction with a lap to remove endo).

Hi

I had two uterine septum attempts in 2010 the second one finally got the rest of it thank goodness. And my first as well was done with endo removal.

My insurance covered both bc it was an abnormality or birth defect not infertility. Maybe your docs insurance billing group should try to code it differently? Also not sure why you would need a chest xray. My pre-op was minimal maybe some blood work and basic health stats that’s it.

To be honest 7K for the hospital, surgeon fee and anesthesiologist fee is not bad. I saw my bills come thru and hospital billed about 20K, surgeon 5K and anesthesiologist was 2K.

Thanks ladies for replying. They did end up requiring a chest x-ray, but they said that they normally do because that way they can rule out pneumonia?

My surgery went well and she said that my uterus looked good, but when she expanded my uterus the septum completely dissappeared because it was so small?? (It was only about a cm) So I’m not sure what to do now. . . my gyn/ob did the hysterescopy and she is going to contact my RE. I don’t know if he will allow us to continue w/ IVF with the septum still there?

[quote=ChloeS-praying4baby]Thanks ladies for replying. They did end up requiring a chest x-ray, but they said that they normally do because that way they can rule out pneumonia?

My surgery went well and she said that my uterus looked good, but when she expanded my uterus the septum completely dissappeared because it was so small?? (It was only about a cm) So I’m not sure what to do now. . . my gyn/ob did the hysterescopy and she is going to contact my RE. I don’t know if he will allow us to continue w/ IVF with the septum still there?[/quote]

I’ve been in the same boat as you. After my second surgery, I had a saline ultrasound done and the septum was still there, but the doctor thought it was more like a notch in the top of my uterus. Rather than go through yet another surgery and further delay my IVF cycle, I asked my RE if we could just go for it…she agreed with me. Lots of women get pregnant without even knowing that they have a septum. If yours is that small, it shouldn’t be a factor in your moving on to IVF.

Good luck!