VBAC experience anyone?

Hello,

I am hoping someone here has a VBAC experience to share - successful or unsuccessful.

I always assumed doctors shied away from VBAC because of the professional risk. I have always heard that many U.S. doctors won’t even consider VBAC. Well, it turns out my doctor is not averse to VBAC and wanted to know what I preferred. I told him that we would again like to try for a natural birth but that I was well aware that those plans are always subject to change depending what was in the best interest of the baby when it came time to push…or not. :wink:

My doctor actually suggested reading up on VBAC online. I prefer to start with the experience from this board as this is always the first place I have turned on the motherhood journey.

Thanks to anyone that has something to share. :slight_smile:

I dont have any experience. But I had a Csection with my daughter and my ob is willing to do VBACs. I am leaning towards another csection on the next one. I labored for 13hrs and only went from a 1 to a 4. We grow big babies and she was not coming down. So unless my next baby is looking to be 7lbs then I will do a csection

I am also very eager to do a vbac, so thanks for posting and I hope we get some good replies!

My son was born at 38 weeks but was still 8lbs7oz and was posterior. I went into the hospital with massive bleeding (they still don’t know from what) on Monday night, and was induced on Tuesday morning. Had my son by c-section on Wednesday afternoon after 24 hours of active labor AND 5 hours of pushing. I felt like I was robbed of the birthing experience…it was very hard to work SO hard, make it SO far (including feeling the head coming out, AND making it the full 10cm), and still need a c-section. I was falling asleep on the table. I healed okay, but still hate looking at/feeling the scar. I worry that I’m going to try to compensate this time and will still need a c-section…not sure how I will handle that. I also am a little worried about the health issues that might arise.

My OB told me you should wait 18 months between pregnancies if you want to do a vbac, but they allow it. Any advice from others who have done this or tried it? I want to hear the negative stories, too!

I don’t have any experience with VBAC. I [I]want[/I] to do VBAC (if I’m ever lucky enough to get pregnant again), but my OB said that the reasons I had to do the horrid c-section in the first place are the reasons I’d have to do it again. But if I do ever manage to have another, I’m getting a second opinion from a different OB.

I feel like I missed a vital (to me) part of the human experience in not giving birth vaginally and I would really like the opportunity. Plus, since I now have a toddler, I have no time for the stupid c-section recovery.

Good luck to you!

I have two sets of twins that were born 16.5 months apart. I had a c-section with my first set because one was breech and one was transverse. My 2nd set were both head down so I ended up with a successful VBAC. I was induced on Thursday the 21st with pitocin in the morning and gave birth at about 4:30am on the 22nd. It was the best thing I ever did! I had two toddlers to take care of so I didn’t want to have to recover from another c-section as well. I will post a link to the boys’ birth story if you would like to read it!! The labor was pretty awful, but I’m glad I did it! :slight_smile:

A Road Well Traveled: Elliott and Oliver’s Birth Story

Urza, thanks for sharing that totally inspirational story!!

Essemkay, do you mind me asking why you needed the c-section? In addition to my son being posterior, I’m also very narrow-hipped and a tiny girl (5’2). I’m just not sure I can physically push a baby out. And, I got the feeling the nurses/doctors were telling me I wasn’t a good pusher. Which, I guess was obvious after doing 5 hours of it. But I’m not sure what I could’ve done differently…we did every position under the sun! Hoping those stumbling blocks don’t stop me next time.

[quote=Francesca13]Urza, thanks for sharing that totally inspirational story!!

Essemkay, do you mind me asking why you needed the c-section? In addition to my son being posterior, I’m also very narrow-hipped and a tiny girl (5’2). I’m just not sure I can physically push a baby out. And, I got the feeling the nurses/doctors were telling me I wasn’t a good pusher. Which, I guess was obvious after doing 5 hours of it. But I’m not sure what I could’ve done differently…we did every position under the sun! Hoping those stumbling blocks don’t stop me next time.[/quote]I’m not tiny, but apparently my pelvis is and she wasn’t able to descend and I produce “abundant” amniotic fluid so even at 40+ weeks, she was still able to flip around and kept turning transverse, even though the doctor physically turned her back. I was zero dilated, zero effaced. I still don’t know that I buy that I [I]needed[/I] a c-section (you can probably tell from my tone that I hated the c-section!). But the doctor insisted and although she initially scheduled me for an induction (they wouldn’t let me go past 42 weeks), at the last second, she pulled the induction option after another flip.

Thanks for sharing your story.

What did you hate so much about your recovery? I hated how the scar was numb afterwards. It freaked me out to not have feeling in one whole part of my body. As for being sore, that part was about what I expected…but your body goes through SOOOO many changes after being pregnant (ie.breastfeeding, hormonal letdowns, plus I was trying to heal from the labor process and pushing), it’s just a lot to deal with at once.

This might sound weird, especially because I’m only 5 weeks along with #2. But, I’m feeling a lot of cramping/minor pain in my incision. I feel like my uterus is expanding and the scar on the inside isn’t used to being stretched. I hope this feeling doesn’t last for the next eight months!!

I have kinda been wondering the same thing. Although I had no issues with my C, I actually healed well and was on pain meds for much less time than friends I have that were either ripped or got an episotomy.

I had to have my c because I was 41w2d and after being induced, I only dialated to 1.5 after 36 hrs on pitocin and hardly effaced, I want to say 20%, and that was after the pill they use to soften your cervix. And also, every time they increased the pitocin, my DD’s heart rate would drop.

At the end of the day, it was a good thing I did have a c as she had meconium in her mouth and dr said if I had delivered naturally it surely would have gotten in her lungs and she would have spent some time in the NICU.

As I stated, I didn’t mind mine. My mom had issues with it too and never was able to go into labor on her own or deliver either. When I was :preg: last fall, my OB laughed when he asked me if I wanted to do a VBAC saying we could try but he doubted I would have any change.

Mind you I was in early labor having contractions for over 10 days before he induced me, just nothing happened. They were even picking them up on the monitors and all my docs and nurses were surprized I was such a tough nut to crack.

I would like the experience I think but at the same time I don’t want multiple scars etc and I don’t want to spent another 2 days trying to labor and then having to go through a c…5 days in the hospital would be too long away from my DD.

I talked to my OB about this on Monday. She said I should be a good candidate (she seems to think that the fact he was posterior was the main reason we needed the c-section), but gave me some info:

• they can’t use cervix softeners or certain other labor inducers if you’ve had a previous c-section

• they will still insist on a c-section if you go after your due date and aren’t showing signs of labor starting

• the risks are SUPER small, but serious

• if we do a scheduled c-section, they do that at 39 weeks. For me, that’s Christmas Day…no thanks.

I have been googling posterior babies and am going to do everything I can to make sure this one is face down!! And, will consider the section, if absolutely necessary, but still would like my chance at a vaginal delivery. After pushing five hours with the epi turned off, I really think I can do it…and would prefer not to have the recovery of a c-section with TWO little ones at home.

Let’s keep this dialogue going, you guys have some great stories and perspectives!

i’ve been wondering about this too. thanks for sharing ladies. i had a csection 3.5 years ago. now i’m trying to figure out what we should do.

francesca, i’ve always felt the same way. i’m small and narrow and feel like i’m not built right for labor. tho my csection recovery wasnt terrible, it was more painful than i realized, and i’m thinking maybe i can handle labor (with epidural). but i am nervous about hours of labor still resulting in a csection.

to be honest i was kinda hoping the decision would be made for me. but so far, it seems like the vbac and csection options are both still there.

My ob said I could do it between 39-40.5 weeks. That was a scheduled too. He had no prob with me going to 40 weeks if I wanted too.

Headed to the re for my first ob us this morning and a little nervous! Fingers crossed!

Hi girls I have no experience in vbac in respect I have not had one but I am a midwife in the uk and I deliver vbacs all the time! Babies are born healthy and mums do very well. It is easier on the body especially if u have a toddler to go home to it makes it much easier when u go home to have a vaginal birth. U have to remain safe deliver your babies in a doctor led unit and if anything goes south don’t refuse on a c section! Good luck to u all
Ps I am now pregnant on my second
I will be attempting a vbac too!!

my doctors have said they will not induce me. if i go into labor naturally and conditions are good, then i should try the vbac. but if there are any issues with the baby’s size, position, or whatever, or if i don’t go into labor, they will opt immediately for a csection.

I should update. My doctor said Monday she will also consider a VBAC. Some conditions, though. I have to not have anterior placenta (too early to know that yet), have to have some dilation and effacement by 38 weeks and have to go into labor on my own before term – no inducing and no going post-term. Big change from the resounding NO they had told me previously!

I was induced at 39wks with my 6month old daughter. I was only at 1cm going into the hsopital and after 12 hrs of pitocin i was only at a 4! I either was not made to deliver a baby vaginally or she was just tooo big (9 1/2lbs) but I dont wanna go thru hrs and hrs of labor and end with a csection, so I think I am opting for a scheduled csection.
But I love reading about everyones experiences

[QUOTE=JMiller10]I was induced at 39wks with my 6month old daughter. I was only at 1cm going into the hsopital and after 12 hrs of pitocin i was only at a 4! I either was not made to deliver a baby vaginally or she was just tooo big (9 1/2lbs) but I dont wanna go thru hrs and hrs of labor and end with a csection, so I think I am opting for a scheduled csection.
But I love reading about everyones experiences[/QUOTE]

9.5 lbs is a big baby!

Did they encourage you to do a c-section or was that something you opted for after 12 hours? My labor was similar…I had to use pitocin because I started bleeding a ton at 38 weeks and they couldn’t figure out why. Decided to induce me, but it took forever. After 14 hours on pitocin I was at a 5 and labor was getting really hard (and no break in between contractions) so I did the epidural. That way, they were able to crank up the Pitocin and my labor sped up. In the following 7 hours, I went from a 5 to a 10 and my water broke on its own. My issue was trying to push out a posterior baby…after 5 hours, I realized it just wasn’t happening. Anyway, wanted to share my story in case you do try a vbac…did you use an epi with your pitocin? Might help get you through the rough contractions long enough to make it to a 10.

I just found out I have an anterior placenta. They said a vbac should still be okay, as long as it’s not attached to my scar. They are going to check at my 20 week ultrasound in August.

Feeling very discouraged because a lot of the factors that lead to the c-section with my son are present again…anterior placenta, baby measuring ahead. I have to admit to getting some anxiety when I think about labor and delivery. While it was the most amazing experience of my life, I guess I didn’t realize how truly difficult and somewhat scarring it was, too. The thought of another c-section makes me disappointed and worried about recovery, but thinking about a vbac freaks me out about the scar rupturing. Anyone else get these anxiety attacks??

VBAC Info

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to pass along some information regarding VBAC. I had a horrible c-section with my son and I hope if I am ever pregnant again to VBAC. While I was recovering from my c-section I came across a very special group for women who have “Special Scars” or other types of c-sections (inverted-T (which I did), J, pre-term classical etc.) and they have an incredible amount of information and support regarding VBAC. If you don’t have a SS, I’m sure they can point in the right direction for other support groups. They also have a great list of providers who are VBAC friendly. They is a group on FB called ‘Special Scar ~ Special Women’ and I’ve attached a link for their Yahoo group. They really are a group on great women with great knowledge and stories of success.

Special_Scars-Special_Women : Special Scars ~ Special Women

And here are another couple of links with info:

VBAC.com
13 Myths About VBAC « VBAC Facts

Take care,

Alyson

[quote=Francesca13]9.5 lbs is a big baby!

Did they encourage you to do a c-section or was that something you opted for after 12 hours? My labor was similar…I had to use pitocin because I started bleeding a ton at 38 weeks and they couldn’t figure out why. Decided to induce me, but it took forever. After 14 hours on pitocin I was at a 5 and labor was getting really hard (and no break in between contractions) so I did the epidural. That way, they were able to crank up the Pitocin and my labor sped up. In the following 7 hours, I went from a 5 to a 10 and my water broke on its own. My issue was trying to push out a posterior baby…after 5 hours, I realized it just wasn’t happening. Anyway, wanted to share my story in case you do try a vbac…did you use an epi with your pitocin? Might help get you through the rough contractions long enough to make it to a 10.

I just found out I have an anterior placenta. They said a vbac should still be okay, as long as it’s not attached to my scar. They are going to check at my 20 week ultrasound in August.

Feeling very discouraged because a lot of the factors that lead to the c-section with my son are present again…anterior placenta, baby measuring ahead. I have to admit to getting some anxiety when I think about labor and delivery. While it was the most amazing experience of my life, I guess I didn’t realize how truly difficult and somewhat scarring it was, too. The thought of another c-section makes me disappointed and worried about recovery, but thinking about a vbac freaks me out about the scar rupturing. Anyone else get these anxiety attacks??[/quote]

My aughter measure ahea the whole time. Starte out just a few ays an as she grew quickly, she was measuring 6wks ahead by the end! We knew we would have a big baby. My DH was 10 1/2lbs and I was 7 1/4 @ 35wwks! As my MFM dr said, I should have got with someone who was a 5lb baby so we would average out a 5lb-er lol.
I was becoming borderline high blood pressure towards the end. I was 140/high 80s (normal for me was 100s/70s) and after about 9hrs of labor, my temp started to go up, and then my daughters heat rate was staying up, as high as 180 (even during a contraction) by the time we went for csection, so we were thinking maybe I was getting an infection. That plus the fact that I wasnt progressing (mainly cause she had dropped so she wasnt help push on my cervix to dialte it) we decided to do the csection.
In the beginning I talked to m OB about an elective csection. I was scared of tearing so bad, espeicially with her measuring so big. But then I decided I wanted to have the experience of childbirth.

I am a labor & delivery nurse and we do VBACs all the time!

A lot of the reason for your first c-section will dictate what happens with a VBAC. If you never dilated or baby didn’t descend you are probably more likely to have to have another c-section. If you had a c-section due to things like baby being breech or baby was in distress, most people are more likely to be success with a VBAC.

Remember also they cannot use cervical ripening agents on a VBAC (like Cervidil, Prostaglandin gel, Cytotec). So if your cervix isn’t ready for labor on it’s own, it probably won’t happen.

A couple words of advice for you. #1 have an OB that supports VBACs. If you have one that acts skeptical about it or tries to talk you into a repeat c-section they are also going to be very quick to jump to a c-section in a VBAC situation. #2 go into it with an open mind. The end goal of every delivery is to have a healthy mom and healthy baby. No matter HOW that happens, be focused on that goal and you won’t be disappointed!

Good luck!