Very Low count

Hello to everybody, I have been lurking around on this forum for awhile trying to find some answers but finally decided to post. I’ve been married 6 yrs and we’ve been ttc for about 5.5 of them. DW went ObGyn about 5 yrs ago and was found to have PCOS. Since that time she has been on a few cycles of Clomid and metformin but so far, no luck. Anyway, I have been sort of left out of the picture as if I don’t have anything to do with the conception process. A couple months ago I finally got tired of nothing happening and got home semen analysis kit (forget the name, but it’s the one with the little microscope). I used it and did a sample and I found nothing, then I got a higher powered microscope and tried it again- still nothing. So since then I have been doing samples on a regular basis and the count is 0 to 12- in the whole sample, not per mL. Motility is poor, even on a high sample of 12 cells, none can move forward, they swim like they’re drunk and very slowly, some don’t move at all and some are deformed. Volume is good and liquefication time is about 20 min. I am the only one who knows this right now, I kind of hinted to DW about it but she just kind of dismissed it. So the whole focus has been on her so far but it seems that I am the problem.

My main question is this, and I can’t seem to find the answer: DW is scheduled for IUI in Dec, but don’t you need 5million count at least for IUI? I gather that the sperm wash is to get the best sperm for the procedure? If I only have a maximum of 12 sperm in the entire sample then isn’t IUI a useless exercise? What would be next, IVF?

Sorry for the long post, but I never thought I’d have to turn into a scientist to have a baby. Hopefully someone can answer my questions and then I can figure out what to do from there.:grr:

You haven’t had a professional SA yet? I’m suprised they would schedule an IUI without one. But to answer your question the wash is actually to remove the sperm from the semen as the semen can’t be placed in the uterus. IVF is usually the option for counts below 5 million. I think 20 million is considered good for IUI. They will do a count when you get the IUI, but you might want to consider getting one done before that. It shouldn’t cost more than $100 for a standard SA.

Thanks for the answer

Thanks on the info about IUI. No I haven’t had a professional SA done yet, like I said, I have been pretty much ignored in the whole process. When they do the test for the IUI, I guess everybody is going to get one big surprise- except me:woohoo: