W/o Clomid, who get Clomid from an OB

My RE has me on Clomid; we have a morphology issue, but that’s it and the hope is it’ll give me more targets to work with. This will be my second cycle on it. I have no IF coverage, so it’s $500 an ultrasound, which she requires at a minimum on CD 3. I see here that so many women get Clomid through their regular OBs. I am hoping to consult w/one on 1/16 who does prescribe Clomid (my OB doesn’t at all), but I want to know about your experiences, if you would.

1. Why is your OB willing to prescribe it if you O regularly?

2. Are the ultrasounds covered by your insurance if you do not have IF coverage (I don’t)? If so, how many u/ss do you have in a given cycle?

Any other tips for me? I SO need my regular health insurance to cover some of these ultrasounds!

Thanks a million, girls!

[quote=Mama_to_3_boys]My RE has me on Clomid; we have a morphology issue, but that’s it and the hope is it’ll give me more targets to work with. This will be my second cycle on it. I have no IF coverage, so it’s $500 an ultrasound, which she requires at a minimum on CD 3. I see here that so many women get Clomid through their regular OBs. I am hoping to consult w/one on 1/16 who does prescribe Clomid (my OB doesn’t at all), but I want to know about your experiences, if you would.

1. Why is your OB willing to prescribe it if you O regularly? [B]He did cd3 bloodwork and found that my estrogen was low. He thought clomid and an estrogen supplement would help the quality/quantity of the follicles.[/B]

2. Are the ultrasounds covered by your insurance if you do not have IF coverage (I don’t)? If so, how many u/ss do you have in a given cycle? [B]No, ultrasounds are not covered. I pay $300 out of pocket every month. I only get a cd13 ultrasound, have never been offered or received a cd3 ultrasound.[/B]

Any other tips for me? I SO need my regular health insurance to cover some of these ultrasounds!

Thanks a million, girls![/quote]

I am currently at an ob/gyn, see my comments in bold above…

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am so, so hoping that he creatively codes the u/s so it’s covered under my normal insurance like he did for my GF who has PCOS, but I am not sure until my mid-January consult w/him what his approach would be. I appreciate the insight!

If your doctor will do that for you that’s great! My doc said the insurance companies figure it out relatively quickly because of the clomid prescritipion… But they still cover the estrogen and prometrium…

I figured as much, but thanks for confirming it! This is all so new to me! The script isn’t covered, for sure. It’s the u/s that is expensive and what I’d love to have covered if I can. Oh, well - it’s worth a shot. Even if I have to pay out of pocket, the OB will be a lot cheaper than my RE! Thanks again!

I am currently getting my Clomid through my OB. My OB will also do ultrasounds.

However, I do have IF coverage on my health insurance.

If Clomid is unsuccessful, I will have to go to an RE.

[quote=Waiting4Peanut]I am currently getting my Clomid through my OB. My OB will also do ultrasounds.

However, I do have IF coverage on my health insurance.

If Clomid is unsuccessful, I will have to go to an RE.[/quote]

Thanks! I wish I had IF coverage!

I have heard that sometimes the u/ss are coded as fertility testing (vs. treatment) and that may be how the OBs get them covered…it seems to really vary!