Want to know Previous Egg Donors Experience.

Hello Everybody,
I wanted to ask this question as it is something I have never done before but considering it. I will try make this as simple as possible, My Mothers sister in Law, Went through early menopause and she is now roughly 34 and is desperately wanting to have children, she has asked relatives to donate eggs but as they are a close family they refused incase they would feel the child was theirs. As she doesn’t have to money to apply for egg donation my mother asked me how i would feel about donating eggs to her sister in law, As this is something I have never done im Unsure, So I wanted to know about other egg donations experience to help me make the decision?

[quote=tialgmoore]Hello Everybody,
I wanted to ask this question as it is something I have never done before but considering it. I will try make this as simple as possible, My Mothers sister in Law, Went through early menopause and she is now roughly 34 and is desperately wanting to have children, she has asked relatives to donate eggs but as they are a close family they refused incase they would feel the child was theirs. As she doesn’t have to money to apply for egg donation my mother asked me how i would feel about donating eggs to her sister in law, As this is something I have never done im Unsure, So I wanted to know about other egg donations experience to help me make the decision?[/quote]

It is very generous of you to consider doing this. Can I ask, how old are you? If your mom’s sister in law is only 34 I’m assuming you’re not very old, but I thought I should ask anyway. To be a donor normally you need to be between 21 and 34, though there is a little wiggle room. Here is a list of the requirements that most clinics have for egg donors:

Become an Egg Donor: Egg Donation Requirements & Information

I mention those requirements because if you don’t meet them, becoming a donor might be harder (for instance, her clinic might recommend against you being a donor). Also, if you have certain health problems, being a donor might not be a good idea for you. But generally, young healthy adult women of normal weight can be donors very safely.

Here’s what’s involved in donating eggs:

Becoming an Egg Donor - What Is Involved in Becoming an Egg Donor

Also, if your mom’s sister-in-law doesn’t live in the same town as you (or if she is doing IVF at a clinic that’s not in the same town as you), you will need to travel for at least a week, possible more like 10 days. For that amount of time, you need to be near the clinic so that you can go in for daily or almost-daily testing (the testing itself isn’t complicated, it takes less than an hour). So, you would need to be able to take that amount of time off work, and of course your mom’s SIL would need to pay for your travel and expenses, as well as your medical costs. You will also need a legal contract and special egg-donor health insurance; those two things tend to cost about $600 (for both), and again that’s something your mom’s SIL would pay for.

Also, it might be worth suggesting to your mom that her SIL learn about the less expensive options for egg donation. If you can’t take time off work, or if her clinic decides you’re not medically suited for egg donation, that’s what she’ll need to do anyway, so she might as well get informed now so that she can really see what her options are. The cheapest ways to do egg donation are:

• Go to the Czech Republic (they have some amazing clinics and the entire thing only costs like $6000, plus travel). Google “Czech egg donation” or the names of a couple of clinics–Zlin and Reprofit are the ones I’ve heard the most about–to find out more.

• Use frozen eggs (there’s a frozen egg bank in Atlanta that’s well regarded)–this is WAY cheaper than hiring an egg donor.

• Do a “shared risk” program – many clinics have these; Shady Grove in Maryland is one.

I would suggest that your mom’s SIL visit the PVED.org forum and the donor forum at Network 54. Both of those are excellent info sources. Here are links:
Login
Looking to Be a Mom Through DE

On behalf of women everywhere who need donors, thanks for your generosity, and best of luck to you and also to your mom’s SIL, whatever you guys end up doing.

I’m not sure if this will help you or not at all. My sister is going to be donating her eggs to me. My best friend had also offered her eggs, however, she suffered a severe head trauma and could no longer donate. I think that the fact you are even considering it is very generous of you. I wish I could say what I would do in your situation. Right now I would say that I would do it in a heart beat, but that could be because of the situation that I am in. If I could conceive on my own, I might be thinking differently. I don’t know.

[QUOTE=tialgmoore]
My Mothers sister in Law[/QUOTE]

So wouldn’t this be your aunt? Meaning that her husband is your mom’s brother/your uncle?

Her SIL may be her husband’s sister (i. e. the mom’s) in case her husband is not the potential donor’s biological father.