Weight Gain

Why am I gaining weight? I eat better than ever…taking crazy amounts of supplements and haven’t even started a cycle yet. Is it the Chinese Herbal Meds, the supplements (see my sig), the acupuncture or what?! I cannot deal…clothes are tight and I hardly eat all day! HELP!!!
:grr::grr::grr:

[QUOTE=abeadinpath]Why am I gaining weight? I eat better than ever…taking crazy amounts of supplements and haven’t even started a cycle yet. Is it the Chinese Herbal Meds, the supplements (see my sig), the acupuncture or what?! I cannot deal…clothes are tight and I hardly eat all day! HELP!!!
:grr::grr::grr:[/QUOTE]

That would depend on exactly what you are eating (and what’s in those Chinese Herbal meds). So can I ask you to be more specific? How much have you gained during what period of time? What are you eating, and how much? Are you getting regular exercise? People don’t just put on pounds unless they are either consuming a greater number of calories or are getting less physical activity (or if they are retaining water).

Edit: Oh, and acupuncture will absolutely, positively not cause you to gain weight. If acupuncture could magically make people fatter, there would be no starving people in the world :slight_smile:

I think its a combination of the hormones we are getting and our age. I found that once I turned 40 and started to cycle I gained a lot of weight. It was regardless of what I did. Exercise eat right. If we have healthy babies … We can worry about it then. But trust me I feel like a whale.

@ Demian:
I am not getting as much exercise as before starting acupuncture bc I have to drive an hour each way every day after work. I don’t get home until about 8:45 every night adn ready to drop to the floor. However, my diet has depleted and not so hungry hardly ever…feeling bloated all the time. I started acupuncture about 2 months ago consistently and regularly taking tons of supplements (40 per day) plus the herbal drink. I don’t know all the ingredients in the herbal meds bc my doc brews on site and tells me there are over 40 types of herbs in each batch…it’s liquid and needs to be refrigerated. It’s my own “formula” as she calls it.
My diet is about the same everyday:
1 yogurt breakfast 2 x per week or just the herbal drink (6 oz) and decaf coffee with no actual food.
Lunch: salad or light sandwich and water or small juice.
Dinner: either I eat nothing and go to bed or piece of fish/organic sauteed vegetables and rice (sometimes chicken added) or sushi. Every once in a blue moon, I will have a slice of pizza (no different and less frequently than before). I have completely cut out soda, no pasta and most sweets…if I have anything, it’s like one Reese’s cup or 100% fat free original flavor frozen yogurt but not often.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? IT CAN’T BE JUST NOT EXERCISING BC I WASN’T A GYM RAT ANYWAY. HELP!

[quote=Demian]That would depend on exactly what you are eating (and what’s in those Chinese Herbal meds). So can I ask you to be more specific? How much have you gained during what period of time? What are you eating, and how much? Are you getting regular exercise? People don’t just put on pounds unless they are either consuming a greater number of calories or are getting less physical activity (or if they are retaining water).

Edit: Oh, and acupuncture will absolutely, positively not cause you to gain weight. If acupuncture could magically make people fatter, there would be no starving people in the world :-)[/quote]

[QUOTE=abeadinpath]@ Demian:
I am not getting as much exercise as before starting acupuncture bc I have to drive an hour each way every day after work. I don’t get home until about 8:45 every night adn ready to drop to the floor. However, my diet has depleted and not so hungry hardly ever…feeling bloated all the time. I started acupuncture about 2 months ago consistently and regularly taking tons of supplements (40 per day) plus the herbal drink. I don’t know all the ingredients in the herbal meds bc my doc brews on site and tells me there are over 40 types of herbs in each batch…it’s liquid and needs to be refrigerated. It’s my own “formula” as she calls it.
1 yogurt breakfast 2 x per week or just the herbal drink (6 oz) and decaf coffee with no actual food.
Dinner: either I eat nothing and go to bed or piece of fish/organic sauteed vegetables and rice (sometimes chicken added) or sushi. Every once in a blue moon, I will have a slice of pizza (no different and less frequently than before). I have completely cut out soda, no pasta and most sweets…if I have anything, it’s like one Reese’s cup or 100% fat free original flavor frozen yogurt but not often.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? IT CAN’T BE JUST NOT EXERCISING BC I WASN’T A GYM RAT ANYWAY. HELP![/QUOTE]

First off, are you counting your calories based on portion size? Also, how much weight have you actually gained and over what period of time? That’s the other important part of the equation. If it’s just 5 pounds or so that could merely be non-fat/non-tissue retention weight that will ultimately go away.

Weight gain is ultimately just a question of chemistry, and the rule of “calories in vs calories out” is a pretty good guiding principle. I have a few suspicions as to what might be wrong, but I’d need some answers to my above questions.

Actually looks like you are not eating enough. Your body is staying in starvation mode and holding on to any calories that you are consuming. Also fat stores love to hold on to certain supplements/nutrient that the body doesn’t otherwise get from foods that are good for us, again leading to weight gain or difficulty losing weight. A big mistake that many of us make is not eating or taking in enough calories. I know it may sound weird but you have to make sure that you are taking in at least 1200 calories. Based on your list, that doesn’t appear to be the case. Good luck with your quest and I hope things on the weight front get better for you!

I could have written your post. I gained 11 lbs over two months (very unusual for me as I have stayed the same weight for years) after an IVF cycle and have not been able to get it off. I started doing interval training three times per week and lifting weights twice/wk. I eat only organic vegetables, berries, seafood, eggs, yogurt and 1.5 oz of cheese. I eat a LOT of vegetables too! High in volume, but low in calories. I cut out gluten, bread, sugar. I was eating lots of walnuts, but then decided to cut back on them and now weigh out 1.25 oz per day. I went from eating a lot of nuts to now hardly eating any. So, I have gone from eating probably around 2000 calories per day to now under 1000. Despite tweaking my diet and exercise, I have lost nothing. I am the heaviest I have ever been and it’s all in my belly. I am thin otherwise. Uugh. So, I feel your pain. I think the hormones definitely mess things up, though I think you said you haven’t even started hormones. In that case, it could be your body being in starvation mode and not burning calories like the previous poster said. It is a matter of trial and error, though I seem to be on the “error” side of it now.

I am a bit older than you, but I think it’s true what they say about weight gain and being over 40, and it’s worse when you do IVF because of the meds. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted if you find the magic key to take it off!

@ Demian:
I have never counted calories in my life so I won’t be accurate if I answer this question. I guess I should start now. I have gained about 18 pounds over the course of maybe 3-4 months. I am very tall at 5’ 10" and I wear size 12 now when I was steadily in size 8. I don’t feel good in my own skin and it’s actually uncomfortable for me.

[quote=Demian]First off, are you counting your calories based on portion size? Also, how much weight have you actually gained and over what period of time? That’s the other important part of the equation. If it’s just 5 pounds or so that could merely be non-fat/non-tissue retention weight that will ultimately go away.

Weight gain is ultimately just a question of chemistry, and the rule of “calories in vs calories out” is a pretty good guiding principle. I have a few suspicions as to what might be wrong, but I’d need some answers to my above questions.[/quote]

Skipping meals is just as bad as eating something that you shouldn’t. If you ever go to a fitness trainer or nutrionist the one thing they will tell you is that it is better to eat lots of small meals than to skip meals. When you skip meals, your metabolism actually slows down. I have been doing acupuncture for years and it has never caused me to gain weight. You may want to re-think what you are not eating and adjust that along with getting a few days of excersie in.

We are increasing estrogen in most cases which causes belly weight. I think the older and more cycles causes the gain. At least for me.

I try and eat healthy and exercise. That is the best I can do…

lkmisc- eating less than a 1000 calories may be causing your body to store fat because it thinks you are starving. I would consider talking to a nutrionist to come up with a plan for you. Just a thought.

You’re not eating enough. Skipping meals, especially breakfast, is a terrible idea if you’re trying to lose weight and get healthier.

Your lifestyle changes may have something to do with the weight gain. You say you’re driving one hour each way every day after work for acupuncture for a couple of months. That is about 15 hours a week that you are being sedentary as compared to your previous lifestyle. Plus skipping meals, as others have mentioned slows your metabolism. I think skipping a couple acupuncture sessions a week so that you can exercise would be more beneficial to your health. Once you start the hormones, it’s even more of a challenge to control your weight.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? IT CAN’T BE JUST NOT EXERCISING BC I WASN’T A GYM RAT ANYWAY. HELP![/QUOTE]

If you don’t eat enough or skip meals, your body will get confused thinking it needs to save calories and the first thing it will reserve is fat. Your metabolism will start to slow down. And you’ll gain weight.

I have never counted calories in my life so I won’t be accurate if I answer this question. I guess I should start now. I have gained about 18 pounds over the course of maybe 3-4 months. I am very tall at 5’ 10" and I wear size 12 now when I was steadily in size 8. I don’t feel good in my own skin and it’s actually uncomfortable for me.[/QUOTE]

When it comes to weight loss, there are a litany of perspectives, many of which will contradict one another. I’m a biologist that spent a lot of time studying population growth models based on environmental resource availability, and if I’ve learned one thing about weight gain and weight loss, it all comes down to how much is consumed and how much is expended. The human body doesn’t magically generate more calories by going into starvation mode. If this were true, then every organism on Earth would use this method 100 percent of the time. Also, eating more will not help you lose weight alone. That’s like saying your car will drive further by putting less gas into it. That’s physically impossible. It is true that your body can go into starvation mode, but it does things like modify your behavior (by making you tired and lazy, for instance) so that fewer calories are consumed.

Every type of physical activity, large or small, will make you burn calories. Walking to the mailbox, rolling down a car window, mowing the lawn, walking to the refrigerator to get a glass of water, etc. When you feel tired, you end up avoiding these types of activities. So really, the magical bullet here is exercise. You have to get up and push through it.

If I were you, I would scrap your routine acupuncture since it seems to be a barrier to getting exercise. Excessive weight gain is a high risk factor for failed IVF (though it tends to matter less for older women). I read all of the scientific literature on acupuncture as it pertains to IVF success and all of the positive effects allegedly come from acupuncture a few days before implantation, [I]if [/I]it even does anything at all. Exercise, on the other hand, gives numerous benefits which have been rigorously proven. It reduces visceral fat, which simple dieting cannot.

If you can get a good amount of exercise (ideally, take up jogging which is twice as efficient as walking, time wise) then you can eat a bit more, too. And also, calorie counting is essential. It’s very, very easy to lose track of what’s going in to your body if you don’t count your calories. A lot of people snack a little bit here and a little bit there and don’t realize how quickly it all builds up. I recommend getting a calorie counting ap for your smartphone.

I know keeping up with exercise is hard, but it makes all of the difference. My wife and I both work long and late. I spend about an hour cooking a meal with fresh vegetables from the garden so my wife can relax a little bit before the run, so on most nights, we’re lucky to get around to exercising by 9:00 P.M. We’re already tired by the time we get to that point and jogging 4-5 miles can be pure agony. But boy, does it make a difference. Knowing that it works— and knowing how important it is to our IVF success— is enough to help us push through it.

Demian: Thanks for all the valuable info. I will definitely [B][U]not[/U][/B] scrap acupuncture…my labs came back yesterday and everything was literally half of where I was before (in a positive direction) so it’s working along with the supplements and Chinese Herbal Drink. I guess I will just have to come home at 9PM as you are doing, eat, digest and then work out afterwards. I will be exhausted but if you think the benefits are to make our IVF cycle more successful, then I will do anything!
Thanks for the feedback! I certainly appreciate it from your perspective, being a biologist.

[quote=Demian]When it comes to weight loss, there are a litany of perspectives, many of which will contradict one another. I’m a biologist that spent a lot of time studying population growth models based on environmental resource availability, and if I’ve learned one thing about weight gain and weight loss, it all comes down to how much is consumed and how much is expended. The human body doesn’t magically generate more calories by going into starvation mode. If this were true, then every organism on Earth would use this method 100 percent of the time. Also, eating more will not help you lose weight alone. That’s like saying your car will drive further by putting less gas into it. That’s physically impossible. It is true that your body can go into starvation mode, but it does things like modify your behavior (by making you tired and lazy, for instance) so that fewer calories are consumed.

Every type of physical activity, large or small, will make you burn calories. Walking to the mailbox, rolling down a car window, mowing the lawn, walking to the refrigerator to get a glass of water, etc. When you feel tired, you end up avoiding these types of activities. So really, the magical bullet here is exercise. You have to get up and push through it.

If I were you, I would scrap your routine acupuncture since it seems to be a barrier to getting exercise. Excessive weight gain is a high risk factor for failed IVF (though it tends to matter less for older women). I read all of the scientific literature on acupuncture as it pertains to IVF success and all of the positive effects allegedly come from acupuncture a few days before implantation, [I]if [/I]it even does anything at all. Exercise, on the other hand, gives numerous benefits which have been rigorously proven. It reduces visceral fat, which simple dieting cannot.

If you can get a good amount of exercise (ideally, take up jogging which is twice as efficient as walking, time wise) then you can eat a bit more, too. And also, calorie counting is essential. It’s very, very easy to lose track of what’s going in to your body if you don’t count your calories. A lot of people snack a little bit here and a little bit there and don’t realize how quickly it all builds up. I recommend getting a calorie counting ap for your smartphone.

I know keeping up with exercise is hard, but it makes all of the difference. My wife and I both work long and late. I spend about an hour cooking a meal with fresh vegetables from the garden so my wife can relax a little bit before the run, so on most nights, we’re lucky to get around to exercising by 9:00 P.M. We’re already tired by the time we get to that point and jogging 4-5 miles can be pure agony. But boy, does it make a difference. Knowing that it works— and knowing how important it is to our IVF success— is enough to help us push through it.[/quote]

[QUOTE=abeadinpath]Demian: Thanks for all the valuable info. I will definitely [B][U]not[/U][/B] scrap acupuncture…my labs came back yesterday and everything was literally half of where I was before (in a positive direction) so it’s working along with the supplements and Chinese Herbal Drink. I guess I will just have to come home at 9PM as you are doing, eat, digest and then work out afterwards. I will be exhausted but if you think the benefits are to make our IVF cycle more successful, then I will do anything!
Thanks for the feedback! I certainly appreciate it from your perspective, being a biologist.[/QUOTE]

If you think you can do both, then all power to you, but it might be counterproductive to exhaust yourself with the exercise if there simply isn’t time. I guess my position was that if a person had to choose between acupuncture and an hour of exercise, I’d recommend the the hour of exercise based on how solid the research results are on both topics.

But then again, a person’s age has a lot to do with that decision too. A woman’s weight would appear to have a very big influence on their ability to succeed at IVF if they are under the age of 35. If they are over the age of 35, it doesn’t matter nearly as much. At 40 and over, it matters even less. Either way though, it appears both exercise AND acupuncture tend to relax people who participate and both reduce stress, two things that are very important for IVF.