What are the chances?

We are all out of meds and I have 2 follies growing but not done. Dr. says to give it 5 days and see if they keep growing on their own. If not, scrap this cycle and start over next month with ordering extra meds.

If I have to take FSH (and a lot of it) to even get the follies to start growing, is it very likely that they will keep growing on their own without my taking it? Should I allow myself to hope or should I face a reality that this isn’t going to work this month?

Clomid is often a first line treatment for infertility. The goal of Clomid therapy in treating infertility is to induce ovulation. Once ovulation begins, there is no benefit to further increasing the dosage. Numerous studies show that pregnancy usually occurs during the first three months of infertility therapy with Clomid and treatment beyond six months is not recommended. For patients who fail to ovulate, clomid is successful in achieving a pregnancy in nearly 70 percent of cases. All other patients average close to a 50 percent pregnancy rate if they attempt six cycles with clomid, especially when they combine it with IUI. After six months, the success is less than five percent per month. It has become commonplace for women who have been frustrated with repeated unsuccessful attempts to conceive naturally on their own to see their gynecologist who often times will try clomid therapy on them. Clomid, the traditional brand name for clomiphene citrate, is a competitive inhibitor of estrogen. It stimulates the pituitary gland to produce follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) which in turn will stimulate the ovaries to mature follicle(s) containing eggs. Estrogen normally has a negative effect on the pituitary: Clomid blocks estrogen and leads to pituitary FSH production and ovarian stimulation.