What are the costs of embryo donation?

I’m looking into the process and costs surrounding embryo donation. I keep hearing that is a lot less then infant adoption but I’m having a hard time finding actual costs.

I’m also wondering about the process, costs, success rates of ‘Double Donor’ programs vs. traditional embryo donor programs.

I’m also having a hard time finding clinics/programs in MA/NH &/or the North East. I’ve course for the right program/clinic or match traveling to receive the embryos may be a option as well as shipping them of course.

Please feel free to PM me. :nerd:

Well, there are SO many different programs in regards to embryo adoption/donation. Some as VERY inexpensive, while others that are more geared towards an actual adoption process are more expensive.
Lets say you go to a Clinic and do an annonymous embryo donation cycle, id say you are looking at anywhere from $3500(cheapest ive heard of) to about $9000. (most ive heard of w/a clinic route)
Then there are some programs like Snowflakes, which require a homestudy and other program fees. I figured out that by the time I paid the program fee, homestudy, transfer fees, and other misc. fees, it was about $13,000 with the program fee and 1 transfer. Now, if that first one doesnt work, then an additional few grand for another transfer. But if you want an Open adoption more like a traditional infant adoption, this may be the route to go.
NEDC also has a good program, a little pricier than some. But they also have the largest selection of embryos in the u.s. to choose from. You can do an open or closed “adoption” with them. THey are a little picky though on you coming to them or having the embryos shipped to your clinic. But ive heard its pretty fast.
There is F.I.R.M. in Florida. They dont advertise their ED program, but its really good from other people that have went there. I think the cost is perhaps around $4500-5000??? Something like that… they have waiting embryos, but as their popularity grows, there will become a waiting list soon im sure.

THen there is Miracles waiting, where you can contact donors on your own and they can contact you and you arrange the whole thing on your own. Transfer, coordination, shipping the embies, legal fees, etc etc. Most people on Miracles wiating want some contact thru out the years. Which is why Donors choose to pick the family their embies are going too, because they want to keep in contact with the family. This can range from just fully identifying information to pics and updates a few times a year to fully open arrangements with visits and phone calls, etc. Sometimes this can be a cheaper option, but the costs CAN add up.

Then there are Double donor programs like California conceptions. you get 3 chances to get pregnant for $12,500 + meds+psych fee+ saline sonogram fee+ travel (since you live clear across the country!) Excellent success rates. Anywhere from 65-75% success. Twins is about 50% rates when transfering 2 embryos. They are a pretty popular and large program because of their “guarantee” program which you have to qualify for. If you do qualify, if your not pregnant after your third cycle, you get your $12,500 back. There are ALOT of requirements for the guarantee though.

I have not heard of many programs in your area. There arent many in the midwest either where I live. Cooper in newjersey comes to mind. I know a few people have used their ED program.

I personally went to the Czech republic for my Embryo donation. We originally tried a match thru miracles waiting, but the costs quickly added up with the lawyer and transfer fees, etc. and was going to be like close to $8000+ so we backed out and after some consideration and alot of praying, we went with a clinic in the CZ. Transfer was $2100, meds were $350ish, and then flight, travel, food, misc. expenses, etc all ended up to be about $6500 total. WE made it into a vacation since weve barely ever been out of our state of Wisconsin. We were there for 6 days, the first 3 we spent sightseeing, then went to clinic for transfer, stayed at hotel for a 1 1/2 days, and then flew home. flight was the most expensive…($2400 for 2 people) but we had a great time and came home with 2 grade A 6 day blasts implanted and am now 36weeks preggos with twins!!!
Since the majority of the clinics patients come there for double donor cycles, the embryos are high quality because they are from donors. But its an Embryo donation program, not a double donor program (if this makes sense)

Sorry this got so long winded, there are TONS of different options and clinics thru out the U.S. (and beyond)
Having done both Domestic infant adoption (our son is 2) and embryo donation, there are good points and bad points about both. our total cost for our adoption upfront was $17,500. After the tax credit, our total out of pocket was $4000!! And realistically, if your with a good agency/program, its only a matter of time before you are picked and bring home your little one. Which is why i liked the idea of adoption over fertility treatments. There is a pot of gold at the end of the journey, not more heartbreak! (I know some people dont have as good as an experience with adoption, but ours went very smoothly, we just waited a long time for it to happen)
As for Embryo donation, its been great getting to experience pregnancy again and have control over the situation and timeline, etc but had it not worked the first time, our costs would’ve been MORE than our adoption in which we brought home a beautiful little boy. Actually, our costs are still more than our adoption even though it worked, but anyways, Having done both, one is no “better” than the other. We will soon have 4 children, and our prayers were met and blessed thru both ways, so we are so thankful for each route we were able to pursue!

I’m in the Northeast also and dont know of any programs locally. The clinic that helped us was nevada Center for Reproductive Medicine and was around 4-4500 depending on what monitoring your insurance will cover. Good Luck to you!

[quote=rd200]Well, there are SO many different programs in regards to embryo adoption/donation. Some as VERY inexpensive, while others that are more geared towards an actual adoption process are more expensive…

Then there are some programs like Snowflakes, which require a homestudy and other program fees. I figured out that by the time I paid the program fee, homestudy, transfer fees, and other misc. fees, it was about $13,000 with the program fee and 1 transfer. [/quote]

[B]I think you summed it up really really well.[/B] I quoted the above portion because I wanted to point out that if you previously have a home study completed, many times you do not need a new one. I know for a fact the Snowflakes will use a previously completed Home Study and only ask that you complete additional education regarding embryo adoption.

Also please consider that when adopting embryos from Snowflakes you get all the remaining embryos a family has. While there is an additional medical charge for multiple transfers, you don’t go to the bottom of a waiting list again if you do not get pregnant, and many times you can achieve multiple pregnancies, and several years apart from one adoption.

[quote=Snowflake2013][B]I think you summed it up really really well.[/B] I quoted the above portion because I wanted to point out that if you previously have a home study completed, many times you do not need a new one. I know for a fact the Snowflakes will use a previously completed Home Study and only ask that you complete additional education regarding embryo adoption.

Also please consider that when adopting embryos from Snowflakes you get all the remaining embryos a family has. While there is an additional medical charge for multiple transfers, you don’t go to the bottom of a waiting list again if you do not get pregnant, and many times you can achieve multiple pregnancies, and several years apart from one adoption.[/quote]

yes, you are correct. When I spoke to them, they said my homestudy would have to be updated though since it was done 2yrs ago. I think the fee for the homestudy update thru my original Adoption agency if they had updated it for us was about $500.

Anyone know anything about Embryo Donation International (EDI)

[QUOTE=rd200]Well, there are SO many different programs in regards to embryo adoption/donation. Some as VERY inexpensive, while others that are more geared towards an actual adoption process are more expensive.
Lets say you go to a Clinic and do an annonymous embryo donation cycle, id say you are looking at anywhere from $3500(cheapest ive heard of) to about $9000. (most ive heard of w/a clinic route)
Then there are some programs like Snowflakes, which require a homestudy and other program fees. I figured out that by the time I paid the program fee, homestudy, transfer fees, and other misc. fees, it was about $13,000 with the program fee and 1 transfer. Now, if that first one doesnt work, then an additional few grand for another transfer. But if you want an Open adoption more like a traditional infant adoption, this may be the route to go.
NEDC also has a good program, a little pricier than some. But they also have the largest selection of embryos in the u.s. to choose from. You can do an open or closed “adoption” with them. THey are a little picky though on you coming to them or having the embryos shipped to your clinic. But ive heard its pretty fast.
There is F.I.R.M. in Florida. They dont advertise their ED program, but its really good from other people that have went there. I think the cost is perhaps around $4500-5000??? Something like that… they have waiting embryos, but as their popularity grows, there will become a waiting list soon im sure.

THen there is Miracles waiting, where you can contact donors on your own and they can contact you and you arrange the whole thing on your own. Transfer, coordination, shipping the embies, legal fees, etc etc. Most people on Miracles wiating want some contact thru out the years. Which is why Donors choose to pick the family their embies are going too, because they want to keep in contact with the family. This can range from just fully identifying information to pics and updates a few times a year to fully open arrangements with visits and phone calls, etc. Sometimes this can be a cheaper option, but the costs CAN add up.

Then there are Double donor programs like California conceptions. you get 3 chances to get pregnant for $12,500 + meds+psych fee+ saline sonogram fee+ travel (since you live clear across the country!) Excellent success rates. Anywhere from 65-75% success. Twins is about 50% rates when transfering 2 embryos. They are a pretty popular and large program because of their “guarantee” program which you have to qualify for. If you do qualify, if your not pregnant after your third cycle, you get your $12,500 back. There are ALOT of requirements for the guarantee though.

I have not heard of many programs in your area. There arent many in the midwest either where I live. Cooper in newjersey comes to mind. I know a few people have used their ED program.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all of the information. I am looking into some of the places you listed above. All of the options are confusing but, the information and support is wonderful!

[QUOTE]
I personally went to the Czech republic for my Embryo donation. We originally tried a match thru miracles waiting, but the costs quickly added up with the lawyer and transfer fees, etc. and was going to be like close to $8000+ so we backed out and after some consideration and alot of praying, we went with a clinic in the CZ. Transfer was $2100, meds were $350ish, and then flight, travel, food, misc. expenses, etc all ended up to be about $6500 total. WE made it into a vacation since weve barely ever been out of our state of Wisconsin. We were there for 6 days, the first 3 we spent sightseeing, then went to clinic for transfer, stayed at hotel for a 1 1/2 days, and then flew home. flight was the most expensive…($2400 for 2 people) but we had a great time and came home with 2 grade A 6 day blasts implanted and am now 36weeks preggos with twins!!!
Since the majority of the clinics patients come there for double donor cycles, the embryos are high quality because they are from donors. But its an Embryo donation program, not a double donor program (if this makes sense)

[/QUOTE]

First Congratulation on your twins! Second, I remember seeing some information about clinics in CZ. But I think I ruled them out because they required you to be married and heterosexual. Do you know if this is the case?

[QUOTE]
our total cost for our adoption upfront was $17,500. After the tax credit, our total out of pocket was $4000!! And realistically, if your with a good agency/program, its only a matter of time before you are picked and bring home your little one. Which is why i liked the idea of adoption over fertility treatments. There is a pot of gold at the end of the journey, not more heartbreak! (I know some people dont have as good as an experience with adoption, but ours went very smoothly, we just waited a long time for it to happen) [/QUOTE]

I’m always glad to hear about positive adoption experiences! Here in New England with area agencies the domestic infant adoption cost are quoted at a minimum of $25,000. But, more typically $34,000-$47,000. I’m still not clear on why but we have talked with more then 8 agencies and they are all in the same ball park.
While you can put a price on family. Working the expense into the budget does make you question the best path.

Well, you dont have to go with a local agency either. We worked with Bethany Christian services. I know their fees vary from state to state, but they are a Not for profit agency and also does ALOT of counseling for ANY pregnant woman, not just those that choose the adoption route.
There is NO WAY we couldve gotten together $25k+ all at once for our adoption expenses. Nor would I pay that much since there are agencies all over the united states that do it for LOTS less, I dont like the fact that some agencies are raking in tons of $$$$ for every adoption. Adoption is about finding a child a home, not making big bucks playing on peoples’ desperation which is what some agencies do. There is NO REASON why an Infant adoption should or can cost upwards of $35,000+. Agencies charge that much because people are willing to pay it. Plain and simple. Often after years of desperation and infertilty treatments, people will pay that much, and its sad that adoption agencies play off of this… As much as Adoption is a wonderful and great option, there are SO many unethical agencies out there and scams by everyone involved in the Triad, it makes me sick sometimes to think about it as a “business” - which it is…(sorry about the rant)

Embryo donation international, thats in florida right?? Ive only checked them out once. Seemed slightly more expensive, but they do have the option of open donation I think…

[QUOTE=rd200]Well, you dont have to go with a local agency either. We worked with Bethany Christian services. I know their fees vary from state to state, but they are a Not for profit agency and also does ALOT of counseling for ANY pregnant woman, not just those that choose the adoption route.
There is NO WAY we couldve gotten together $25k+ all at once for our adoption expenses. Nor would I pay that much since there are agencies all over the united states that do it for LOTS less, I dont like the fact that some agencies are raking in tons of $$$$ for every adoption. Adoption is about finding a child a home, not making big bucks playing on peoples’ desperation which is what some agencies do. There is NO REASON why an Infant adoption should or can cost upwards of $35,000+. Agencies charge that much because people are willing to pay it. Plain and simple. Often after years of desperation and infertilty treatments, people will pay that much, and its sad that adoption agencies play off of this… As much as Adoption is a wonderful and great option, there are SO many unethical agencies out there and scams by everyone involved in the Triad, it makes me sick sometimes to think about it as a “business” - which it is…(sorry about the rant)

Embryo donation international, thats in florida right?? Ive only checked them out once. Seemed slightly more expensive, but they do have the option of open donation I think…[/QUOTE]

I guess everyone has different experiences in adoption and different situations.

We are a married lesbian couple so using a agency like Bethany Christian services or Catholic Charities is out for us. In addition many of the states with lower cost adoptions are not the most friendly towards gay/lesbian adoptive couples/parents.

Honestly, I’ve looked dozens of at local and national agencies non for profit and for profit. To be fair we are not open to high risk drug/alcohol exposure or paying high eparent expenses. We are interested in adopting a generally healthy infant of any ethnic background.
Either way the prices tend to end up in the same ball park. When you include home studies, education, agencies fees, birth parent expenses, travel, post placement and so forth. I have not found hardly any agencies that would work with gay families, with moving waiting lists that are below $25-$35,000 in total.

While we feel every called towards adoption the cost does have us looking at other options too.

[QUOTE=rd200]Embryo donation international, thats in florida right?? Ive only checked them out once. Seemed slightly more expensive, but they do have the option of open donation I think…[/QUOTE]

Did you find there financial/fees information?? I have not found the fees on their website yet.
The success rates are only 27-40% so I’m not sure about them. But, they are one of the websites/matching/donor embryo go between that does not discriminate based on religion for family types.

mcj- Check out the clinic in Nevada that Katie99 mentioned. If my donor embie in Czech fails (the same place that RD200 went to), I will either go back to Czech or to Nevada.

[QUOTE=luv4rachela]mcj- Check out the clinic in Nevada that Katie99 mentioned. If my donor embie in Czech fails (the same place that RD200 went to), I will either go back to Czech or to Nevada.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been checking out their website! :nerd:

hmmmm~ you are right, there are less agencies that will work with Gay couples. That is a challenge im sure!! You would probably be better off going independant then, but that’s risky too. We were not into paying eparent expenses either. we didnt pay any. I know its a BIG thing in adoption these days, but I certainly didnt want any emom to feel obligated to place her child with us because we paid he living expenses for months and months and months. Nor did we have the extra cash…

Well, then the Czech Republic is out too. Im pretty sure they ONLY work with Married Heterosexual Couples…

California Conceptions would be another option for you. They do not discriminate. (Im pretty sure)

I did find their fee schedule on their website at one time or another. Its been a year probably since ive checked them out though. I cant remember exactly what it was. I think I ended up calling them and perhaps they sent me a list of expenses after requesting it…

I’m not sure about Reprofit in CZ, but IVF Prague will treat single women and lesbian couples. Babbymoma is pregnant with twins and she is not married. She went to IVF prague for a double donor cycle. I believe she told me it was around 6K.