What do I do now?


Okay, so I realize I’m on an infertility forum, and I’m apparently not having total infertility issues, but I’m slightly freaking out and completely lost as to what I’m supposed to do.

First off, I’m 29 and I’ve got PCOS and Endometriosis. Endometriosis was diagnosed through a laparoscopy in 2006 along with a the finding that my uterus is tilted, and they also found tons of bilateral cysts at that time, but PCOS was only officially diagnosed 2 years ago after a pregnancy where I miscarried around 7 weeks. They think I had it all along due to past test results and my symptoms, but that I wasn’t diagnosed because I’m not overweight. They said that it coupled with Endometriosis would make it very difficult to conceive again or carry full term and was most likely the cause of the miscarriage. I’ve spent the last two years worrying if I will ever be able to carry a child, as my aunt who has the same problems had such trouble for 15 years but finally did manage to have one child. Since my miscarriage, we’ve been using condoms because I haven’t yet found a birth control that doesn’t make my period completely haywire, and I’ve been worried about taking birth control since I’ve heard it can affect your ability to conceive later on. My hormone doctor said I may need in vitro if I wanted to attempt to get pregnant again, because my chances of conceiving are a lot lower than the average woman.

Well, we had a condom mishap/rip, but it happened a few days after my supposed ovulation time. Who really knows, though… my period isn’t known for always being incredibly reliable due to the PCOS, but it HAS been exactly on time over the last 6 months. It ended up being late this time, though… I took a test when I was 2 days late and it was negative. I wasn’t 100% convinced because the last time I was pregnant, it took 2 weeks to finally pop a positive sign for some reason. Today marked the 1 week late mark, and I’ve been SO TIRED, BLOATED, MOODY, HORMONAL/SWEATY, I have to pee every 20 minutes, I’ve fought the urge to vomit several times this week for no apparent reason, my chest is sore, and I’ve been having cramping that almost feels like period cramping but not as bad, but there’s no blood. I did have spotting a couple weeks ago when I peed, but that hasn’t returned. Thinking that I only had the one ‘mishap’ with the condom and that night was supposedly after ovulation, I assumed the chances were slim and that I was just late and having intense PMS. Well, today I popped a bigfat plus sign on TWO different tests. Obviously, I’m going to retest tomorrow, and I shouldn’t get ahead of myself here… but how can you not? A week late, all the symptoms, plus a positive test… it seems to point in the pregnant direction.

So my dilemma is here: Doctors don’t usually like to see you until you’re 8 weeks along, and when using the date of my last period, I’m about 5 weeks along. However, I’ve got Endometriosis and PCOS, and have miscarried once before. I’m on Progesterone to control the symptoms of PCOS. Should I go ahead and try to get an appointment with an OBGYN? Can they even do anything for me this early on? Strangely, I’m already taking prenatals (they seem to make my hair and nails healthy so I take them anyway) and folic acid (I just got off of a liver cleanse, which folic acid helps with). Usually I’d just try to go anyway to be safe, but the last time I was pregnant, I called at week 6 but they said they wouldn’t schedule my appointment until week 8. However, I started spotting kind of heavily so they had me come in to see if I was miscarrying. They did an exam, ultrasound, and some blood tests, said everything looked fine and I would just have to wait it out until week 8, because they said they don’t really do anything until week 8 (especially not being able to see anything on the ultrasound). Then I miscarried the following week. Today, I called the same doctor office (one of the few my insurance covers) and asked them, and they said as long as I’m not spotting or having intense pain, and since I’m still on Progesterone, to wait until week 8, so she went ahead and scheduled me for then. Should I be seeing a doctor anyway beforehand because of my problems, or is there nothing they can even do until week 8? This was obviously unexpected and I’m completely unprepared (we planned on waiting to try for kids in 2-3 years for financial reasons) and will be doing further research in the mean time, but some advice would be greatly appreciated. Despite not being prepared, I couldn’t let the little tadpole creature that is potentially in my belly go the way of its predecessor because I waited until week 8. I do realize there’s a chance it’s a chemical pregnancy, or that I will miscarry again, and I’m definitely not getting excited or anything yet, but going through a miscarriage is so difficult and I want to at least do everything I can to prevent it. I couldn’t live with myself if I just let myself miscarry when there were ways to prevent it.

Thanks so much for reading my novel of a post. :slight_smile:


Wow! I really don’t have any answers for you but I wanted to say congratulations. This really tough because a lot of us are already seeing a specialist (an RE) and the monitoring is completely different than say a regular OB. Typically the RE would check your beta every few days to make sure it was rising appropriately and then you would be able to get a few ultrasounds to check for a sac and then a heartbeat. I really don’t know how you would go about getting seen any sooner. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try another OB - you said there are a few others that take your HI. On the other hand, I don’t know that anything could really be done to “prevent” a miscarriage. The RE would make sure you were on progesterone but you mentioned that you were already doing that. I’m sorry that I can’t offer up any real advice.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a healthy successful pregnancy this time around.


According to my RE, PCOS on its own isn’t a big risk factor for miscarriage in the first trimester, and not at all after that, but if I were in your position, I’d probably call the OB’s office and tell them that, because of your previous miscarriage, you’d like to consult with the doctor earlier than usual. If they won’t do that, either they can refer you to someone, or you can think about finding another doctor, like maybe a high-risk doctor, and see if they’ll see you. Have you seen an RE? If you have, they might be willing to see you, also, to talk about what you should be doing in the first trimester.