What Do You Guys Trigger With?

Just Windering What You Guys Trigger With. I Trigger With Ovidrel. My Clinic Dosent Really Like To Use It But They Gave Me It Anyway. I Heard Its Not As Powerful Or Something As The Hcg. It Still Must Be Ok To Use Though If They Gave It To Me Right?.

[QUOTE=disneygirl]Just Windering What You Guys Trigger With. I Trigger With Ovidrel. My Clinic Dosent Really Like To Use It But They Gave Me It Anyway. I Heard Its Not As Powerful Or Something As The Hcg. It Still Must Be Ok To Use Though If They Gave It To Me Right?.[/QUOTE]

I trigger with HCG. I know some ladies use Ovidrel though, so I am sure it’s fine! I always used Ovidrel for IUI’s…

we used ovidrel for this last ivf…workeed for us

I triggered last time with HCG, but I’ll tell you something interesting. A new thing is to trigger with Lupron! My RE mentioned it, I guess it helps to avoid OHSS.

I triggered w/ hCG w/ my fresh IVF and just used hCG as my trigger w/ this FET (2 different clinics).

I thought ovidrel was just a brand name for hcg?

Ovidrel IS hCG. It is a name brand. It is just made differently than the ‘hCG’ trigger some of the other girls used. hCG (such as Profasi and Pregnyl, the name brands for hCG purified from the source, pee!) is purified from the urine of pregnant women. Ovidrel is recombinant hCG. It was made in a lab using recombinant DNA methods (I could go into detail but I would bore the pants off you). It produces a protein that is hCG. Functions the same as the hCG from urine. Apparently Ovidrel is higher purity hCG than Pregnyl or Profasi, so you might trigger with, say 250 units of Ovidrel as opposed to 1000 units of Pregnyl. The result is the same. The hCG in either causes ovulation.

I also used Ovidrel.

There’s the right answer! Ovidrel is hCG. Ovidrel is extracted form cultures of genetically modified Chinese Hamster Ovary cells, or “CHO cells”. Other brands of hCG are purified from the urine of pregnant women. Same molecule either way. However, the 250 mcg of hCG in Ovidrel is the equivalent of about 7000 IU hCG. Most preparations of generic hCG are 10,000 IU. Either is more than enough for most patients, but Ovidrel is administered by subcutaneous injection, which has a slower absorption.

By the way, the FSH used for stimulating follicles comes from those same two sources (Follistim and Gonal F are from CHO cells, others are from the urine of post-menopausal nuns).

Yes, it avoids OHSS very well.

I was wondering if there was much of a difference between ovidrel or novarel? Last time I ended up with erythema nodosum (VERY painful swelling in my legs, couldn’t walk for 6 weeks) due to hormones. It happened right after the trigger of ovidrel. I asked the doc to switch to novarel this time. I hope it does the trick!!!