What exactly is PCOS? And ever have a bleeding cyst?

So I know PCOS is PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome. . .and I know it’s when you have a lot of cysts on your ovaries. But is it a lot of cysts all at once or is it that you get cysts frequently, month-after-month (but it may be only 1 or 2 cysts per cycle)? How does PCOS affect trying to get pregnant?

I’m asking because I seem to get cysts frequently (even when I’m not on IF meds). This month (no meds taken) I had one and it was really painful. A few days before the intense pain on my left side and in my back I spotted for 2 days straight. I was on CD 12 and 13 so I was no where near :af: arriving. And I NEVER spot between cycles and I have very regular cycles. I’m wondering if it was a bleeding cyst. Has anyone heard of this?

Sorry for all the questions!!!

I don’t know if this helps, but here is some info I found. I too have PCOS, but only a very mild form…as I have regular cycles. I hope it helps, but in the case it doesn’t, there’s ALOT of information online.

[I][COLOR=“Blue”][SIZE=“1”]Polycystic ovaries

This is a common condition in which many small cysts form in the ovaries. Polycystic ovary syndrome affects about one in ten women, Some of these women will encounter a variety of hormone-related problems, including infertility.

Women with Polycystic ovaries may have no symptoms - with the result that they only know that they have the condition when fertility tests are done. However, symptoms can include:
Obesity.
Excessive hair growth on the face or body.
Acne.
Infrequent or no menstrual periods.
Male-pattern baldness (from the temples, then the crown, gradually widening).
In women without polycystic ovarian syndrome, the ovaries begin to develop 20 eggs every month. These eggs mature in little sacs known as cysts. Over the course of the month, one egg will become dominant and draw most of the hormones being produced, eventually being released by the ovary to be fertilized or shed with your period. Women with PCOS, though, fail to produce the correct balance of estrogen necessary to help one egg become dominant. As a result, the 20 eggs develop but remain as cysts, which in turn results in the production of androgens, or male hormones, and little to no production of progesterone.

Because of the build up of androgens and lack of progesterone, women with PCOS may have irregular periods, fail to ovulate (anovulation), or fail to have a period (amenorrhea) entirely. When a period does occur, many women with PCOS note that their bleeding can be quite heavy. Those women dealing with irregular or heavy periods due to PCOS can use the birth control pill to help regulate their menstrual cycle.

Drug treatment is sometimes used to induce ovulation in women with polycystic ovaries. Otherwise, the cysts may be treated by being cauterized with a needle. This procedure is done by laparoscopy, in which a fibre-optic tube is inserted into the pelvic area through a small incision made just below the navel. This enables doctors to examine the womans reproductive organs, take samples and carry out some minor surgery. A general anaesthetic is given.[/SIZE]
[/I]

If you want more detailed info on PCOS, there is a foundation that is dedicated solely to the disease.

PCOS Foundation (follow the link)

:grouphug: It’s not that bad and can be controlled, so try to relax…:nerd:

amwyatt3, have you been diagnosed with PCOS? Or are you curious about whether you have it? kappocheno’s description and link should be very helpful, but you probably can’t diagnose yourself–a lot of the PCOS diagnosis depends on determining exactly what your hormone cycle is like, since of the main PCOS symptoms, many women only have a subset. For instance, now, the polycystic ovaries is only one possible symptom of the syndrome, which some women don’t exhibit. Ovarian cysts are a follicle that grew but never released an egg. With polycystic ovaries, the problem is that many follicles start to grow but the eggs inside them never mature, cause many very small cysts along the outside of the ovary (as many as 40 at a time). This causes what doctors refer to as the “string of pearls” appearance. Because the eggs never mature, they never get released, which is why so many women with PCOS don’t ovulate or ovulate very rarely. If your cysts are large and few in number per cycle, you may have a different problem, but PCOS is one of those things that you really can’t know whether you have it without some blood work and the advice of your doctor.

If you do have PCOS, it can affect your fertility in particular if you’re not ovulating (obviously), but if you do ovulate regularly, I don’t know how fertility is affected. The good thing is, PCOS can be treated with medication and many women also find that diet and exercise make a big difference! Talk to your doc to see if you even need to worry about it, but if you do have it, it still may be something that’s not a big problem to get around. Good luck!