What time of day do you do PIO?

I have been on PIO for about 11 days now (this is my second time using it though). It was going fairly well for the first 9 days or so but now is getting uncomfortable. My butt is getting sore. I remember being on it the first time and I could barely sit after a while so I was hoping this time would some how be different. Not sure what changed from earlier in the week that now I"m sore… maybe just the cumulative shots. Anyway, I do all the techniques to help (icing, heating, massaging, etc) but wonder if it makes a big different as to WHEN the shot is given? My nurse suggested in the morning but that’s really hard to do because my schedule doesn’t always coincide with DH’s. BUT if that would make a big different I would try to make it work. THoughts? When do you all (preferably those of you who do well with the PIO) do the shot?

I always did mine in the evenings. My Rx label even said every evening, although the instructions from our clinic just said within 1 hour of the same time every day. No way we could do them in the morning- mornings are way too hectic at our house.

i have to do it twice a day…so imagine how my rear end feels!! ha ha, i try to do it about 7:30 am and 7:30 pm everyday…and just get it over with! :slight_smile:

Twice a day! Oh, girl, how do you do it? Sounds like you’re doing okay with it…I don’t know if I would be doing so well…lol.

Hello my dear, my fingers are crossed for your beta.

My doc told us to take it in the morning.

My last doc said it didn’t matter and I took it at night.

My P4 levels have always been through the roof though…

Good luck!

Hi! I take my shots at night around 9:30 PM. I have not experienced any soreness. Here are the instructions that our nurse gave us. In the following link, look for the intramuscular video. It shows where the proper injections sites should be. I only do mine on the back and switch sides every night. (I never tried injecting in the thigh.) Also, the nurse did not recommend icing before the shot. She said the coldness does not work well with the oil. But I’ve read on these forums that some women need to use the ice and just make sure to use it for a few seconds. (Sorry, I don’t know how long exactly.)

Hope this video and instructions help you like they did for me! Good luck!

Fertility medication information including dosages, storage requirements and injection lessons

1. Warm up the bottle in your hands. Roll it between your hands (…don’t shake!) for about 3-5 minutes. This warms up the oil.

2. Did you take Lupron shots with the subcutaneous needles (shorter ones)? I did and for those shots, we were instructed to pinch/squeeze the skin. But for these intramuscular needles, we were instructed to make the skin tight. (stretch out the skin with your thumb and index finger)

3. Then hold the syringe like you would hold a dart and quickly insert it at a 90 degree angle. My husband does this part pretty well. LOL! I think this part helps. He says, “1-2-3” to prepare me for it and it feels like a little pinch.

4. Inject the PIO very slowly. This part is also tricky and in the beginning my husband was too quick and nervous about it. But with practice he’s got the hang of it.

5. Quickly remove the syringe and apply pressure with a gauze pad over it. Massage the injection site with a warm facecloth for several minutes. Then place hot water bottle wrapped in a towel (or heating pad) for 10-15 minutes.

6. Walk around and don’t go to sleep until an hour later.

[quote=deedee2]Hi! I take my shots at night around 9:30 PM. I have not experienced any soreness. Here are the instructions that our nurse gave us. In the following link, look for the intramuscular video. It shows where the proper injections sites should be. I only do mine on the back and switch sides every night. (I never tried injecting in the thigh.) Also, the nurse did not recommend icing before the shot. She said the coldness does not work well with the oil. But I’ve read on these forums that some women need to use the ice and just make sure to use it for a few seconds. (Sorry, I don’t know how long exactly.)

Hope this video and instructions help you like they did for me! Good luck!

Fertility medication information including dosages, storage requirements and injection lessons

1. Warm up the bottle in your hands. Roll it between your hands (…don’t shake!) for about 3-5 minutes. This warms up the oil.

2. Did you take Lupron shots with the subcutaneous needles (shorter ones)? I did and for those shots, we were instructed to pinch/squeeze the skin. But for these intramuscular needles, we were instructed to make the skin tight. (stretch out the skin with your thumb and index finger)

3. Then hold the syringe like you would hold a dart and quickly insert it at a 90 degree angle. My husband does this part pretty well. LOL! I think this part helps. He says, “1-2-3” to prepare me for it and it feels like a little pinch.

4. Inject the PIO very slowly. This part is also tricky and in the beginning my husband was too quick and nervous about it. But with practice he’s got the hang of it.

5. Quickly remove the syringe and apply pressure with a gauze pad over it. Massage the injection site with a warm facecloth for several minutes. Then place hot water bottle wrapped in a towel (or heating pad) for 10-15 minutes.

6. Walk around and don’t go to sleep until an hour later.[/quote]
    Thanks for the info. I do most of those techniques but I wonder if we’re not getting the injection area right. They’re supposed to stay in your hip area, right? I wonder if some of the injections are migrating too far over.
    So doing them at 9:30 is okay for you? That’s good to hear because they seem to be getting later and later. It just seems like later is easier to do. I’m going to have to really monitor the injection area…I’m guessing that’s where we’re going wrong.

My RE drew circles on my hips and that’s where my husband gives them. I also put the syringe with oil in the heating pad to help thin it out and it works really well. Good luck!