What to do if 2nd cycle of clomid and 2nd IUI fail

I’m very new to the infertility community. I was diagnosed with PCOS in July of 2011. Then began fertility treatments. Did my first round of 50mg Clomid along with a HCG shot and then an IUI. I am now on my 2nd round of Clomid this time 100 mg. Had one mature follicle 20mm trigger shot on the 7th and IUI on the 8th of this month ( october ) I’m wanting some advise on what to do if this does not work. I’m thinking about Gonal-f coupled with Femara but I want to the know the cost and sucess rate. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Hi, kamille. Unfortunately, I don’t have any advice for you, but I wish you all the best.

I do have a question for you though, if it’s not too personal. Why did you move straight to Clomid + IUI? My RE has me on Clomid + Timed Intercourse, but I’d really prefer to go ahead and do the IUI. I’m a PCOSer too so I was just curious if there were any other factors on your end that made you and your doctor move straight to IUI.

I hope someone can offer up some advice and insight on your initial post. If not, try posting in the IUI or Clomid boards…they are typically more active.

:babydust:

As far as your next treatment, each of the injectibles treats slightly different fertility issues, so you’ll have to ask your doctor which one is likely to be the most successful for you. Don’t be afraid to ask him/her plenty of questions about why that one is good or why he/she isn’t going with another one, or even get a second opinion if you have reason to disagree with the medication your doctor picks. However, they’re not interchangeable, so you don’t want to go with one because it’s cheaper or has fewer side effects or something when it’s not going to be effective anyway.

AFM, you can see from my sig, I’m PCOS and was taking Metformin the whole time. I responded well to Clomid but was getting discouraged, and my doctor moved me on to just Menopur with an Ovidrel trigger shot. That was the one that worked for me! Best of luck. :.)

What’s next after Clomid?

Hello All,Iam new here and not for sure if Iam in the right spot.I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago. I never have had a regular cycle.And acutually have went YEARS with no period before. About 6 months ago my gyno put me on provera to start my period and then 50 mg of clomid.Needless to say it didnt take.So each month I had to start over with Provera because period never came natually and the dose of Clomid increased. For the past 3 months I have been on 150 mg of Clomid.After each cycle my blood work came back that prog. level is only at a .6 anyways my gyno is referring me to a RE and Iam just wondering what the next step will be? What tests should I expect to have done? This is all new to me so Iam a little lost…and bummed! Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks for your replies ladies…
Geauxbaby… we did a post coital test and my cervical mucus was too thick due to the clomid so my RE had us just do the IUI…
I had my follow up with the doc and he is putting me on femara and follistim with a trigger shot and then another IUI…so hopefully the third time is the charm!!!

[quote=kamillehogan]thanks for your replies ladies…
Geauxbaby… we did a post coital test and my cervical mucus was too thick due to the clomid so my RE had us just do the IUI…
I had my follow up with the doc and he is putting me on femara and follistim with a trigger shot and then another IUI…so hopefully the third time is the charm!!![/quote]

Good Luck Kamille!

The follistim was what worked for me. Does your doctor also have you on Metformin?

I am a classic PCOS’er. However, my hormone levels dont really show it. But just by looking at me, any doctor can tell I have it. So, while my insulin levels were “ok”, they put me on Metformin anyways, and I really do think it helped. The other thing that really helped I think was increasing my exercise. I had always been active, but I stepped up my exercise a bit and I think that helped as well.

Best of luck to you!

I also have PCOS (lean kind) and am on Metformin and Gonal F. My doctor switched me to Gonal F because the Letrozole made my lining thin and estrogen very low at time of trigger. I responded much better to gonal F and just completed a cycle but unfortunately, it was BFN. There are a lot fewer side effects with the injectables, such as thin lining and thick cervical fluid that happen with clomid and sometimes Letrozole. Also, there is a higher risk of overstimming so request a low dose to begin with of injectables because they can easily adjust your daily dosage, unlike with clomid. GL!

Charlie’s mom… Yes I ve been on Metformin 1500mg for about 4 months…RE put me on letrozole cd3-7 then follistim75iu cd8-12 had 3 follicles 18mm, 17mm, and 16mm the iui on currently on cd23 and will have a pregnancy test on the 22nd of December!! I’m hoping for a wonderful christmas surprise :slight_smile: and thanks to all of you for replying!!:pray:

aeason11…yeah I had horrible side effect from clomid but the letrozole and follistim now side effects…I think I had mild OHSS with some pain during ovulation and nausea but nothing I couldnt handle… :slight_smile: