What to do to increase fertility naturally

I am at my wits end with trying to figure out what potions and lotions and vitamins to use that are going to increase fertility. I’m going on 41 here! and feeling like I tried it all.

Any advice???:pray:

P.S some products are not available in Canada. So if someone can recommend something I can get here that would be doubly awesomeness.

Hi baby4me2,
I feel ya’! I am 41 in 3 months and in the same boat. I’ve started drinking red raspberry leaf tea. I’ve heard it’s good up to ovalation, then stop for 1st trimester, then start again for 2nd and 3rd trimester. Good luck!

I tried fertilaid for a few months and did get pregnant with that but no heartbeat. Been trying red raspberry leaf for 6 months too. Have an appointment with a chinese medicine doctor this month… so maybe? I really feel your frusteration as well. How long have you two been trying?

According to your signy your nine weeks along essemaker!! That’s awesome!

[quote=baby4me2]I am at my wits end with trying to figure out what potions and lotions and vitamins to use that are going to increase fertility. I’m going on 41 here! and feeling like I tried it all.

P.S some products are not available in Canada. So if someone can recommend something I can get here that would be doubly awesomeness.[/quote]

baby4me2,

I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading and have incorporated the following:

• Royal Jelly (I am using the pills as the actual Jelly makes me nasueous from the smell. I got them at the Whole Foods)
  • Fertility Yoga (CD)
  • Fertility Accupuncture (I had to stop I don’t have any more money for it at $80 a session two sessions per week. I went for three months!!)
  • Fertility Meditation CDs downloaded from Circle bloom
  • Alcohol: alcohol can reduce your fertility levels by up to 50%. It can also decrease your partners sperm count and increase the production of abnormal sperm.
  • Caffeine: caffeine, found in coffee, teas, cola, and chocolate, has been shown to reduce both male and female fertility levels. As little as one cup of coffee a day can cut your chances of conception in half!!!
  • Xenoestrogens: xenoestrogens are estrogens found in environmental chemicals and pesticides. Produce and other foods can have high levels of xenoestrogens, which, if ingested, may disturb your balance of hormones. Imbalaced hormones are often the cause of fertility issues. So wear rubber gloves and make sure rooms are vented with fresh air if you are cleaning anything.
  • I take a multi vitamin, and another 800mg of folic acid (be sure to add the folic acid to decrease birth defects!)
  • You have to exercise. The idea is to increase blood flow easpecially to the ovaries. Sex is good for this too :wink:

Here is the stuff I am trying to do but proving to be wicked difficult …

• No milk products (Milk is loaded with hormones!)
  • No sugar
  • Low sodium

It makes sense right? But lordy is it tough to kick a sugar addiction :woohoo:

Earlier today I read this:

• Chasteberry: This herb works to increase fertility by stimulating the pituitary gland. This is the gland responsible for producing sex hormones like estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. Chasteberry should help fertility by balancing the sex hormones.

• Dong Quai: Dong Quai is a Chinese fertility herb, long-used to solve menstrual difficulties. It also helps to balance estrogen levels in the body and improve chances of implantation.

I don’t know if it’s true but worth looking into.

I’m also reading the “Fertility Diet”. In this book and just about everything I’ve read says it takes 3 months for all the changes to impact your eggs and fertility. I know all of us over 40 feel like there is no time left but if you can make these changes today you’ll be one step closer.

Everytime I think about a soda or crap food I ask myself which is more import. The taste of chocolate or feeling my baby snuggling in my arms … pretty simple choice for me!

Good luck and please keep us posted.

[quote=CoastalCohort]Hi baby4me2,
I feel ya’! I am 41 in 3 months and in the same boat. I’ve started drinking red raspberry leaf tea. I’ve heard it’s good up to ovalation, then stop for 1st trimester, then start again for 2nd and 3rd trimester. Good luck![/quote]

PS:Read this!!

DHEA Boosts Female Fertility and IVF Success - Infertility

[quote=baby4me2]I am at my wits end with trying to figure out what potions and lotions and vitamins to use that are going to increase fertility. I’m going on 41 here! and feeling like I tried it all.

P.S some products are not available in Canada. So if someone can recommend something I can get here that would be doubly awesomeness.[/quote]

Ps: One more link regarding DHEA … I’m going to get some tomorrow!

Increasing fertility threefold with DHEA?

Very interesting research on DHEA!!

New Fertility Boost: Science Videos - Science News - ScienCentral

Wow! that stuff looks amazing! I will go see if we carry it here. Thank you so much:thankyou:

I’m going up to the vitamin store now to buy some. If you do not have in Canada let me know and you can pay me via paypal and I’ll mail it to you. Although I suspect Whole Foods will have it.

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/canada/

I have done a ton of research and have found Vitex I an excellent fertility inhancer for women over 35. It has a history of helping women for 2000+ years. It also has very little side effects and is really cheap. It diesnt work for everyone but I got my only Bfp with Fertilitea but unfortunately lost the baby at 6 weeks. After doing more research I found that discontinuing Vitex suddenly instead of weaning off if it can cause the very same progesterone it helped produce to drop. There is a herb called false unicorn root that can be taken after you get you bfp to help keep levels up during the first trimester and is safe during pregnancy. There is also natural progesterone (happy pms cream) that can be taken after 0 through the first trimester to help sustain pregnancy until the placenta takes over.

My plan this cycle (I’m in my 2ww) is if I get my BfP is to discontinue the tea and stay on Vitex through my first trimester. I also have natural progesterone suppositories left over from RE that I plan to take.

I was never diagnosed with low progesterone but now know that my hormones were off a bit. Since taking Vitex I have increased my LP and my OpK was the darkest positive I’ve ever had. I’m being proactive about this because fertility drug were really hard on me. I feel great on the Vitex! There are published controlled studies on this product especially in Germany ( yes folks Europe is decades ahead of us when it comes to medicine)

Remember this is all my research for myself I wanted to share. Be sure to do your own and decide for yourself. I wish everyone a healthy pregnancy soon!

Folic Acid

What’s a good dosage of Folic Acid? My multi-vitamin has 800 mcg but I’m thinking maybe I should take more.

Listen to your Doc. With that said if you do take more it is water soluable so your body will flush the excess. Check out this link to learn more about this vital B vitamin. Folic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should be focused on the big picture too, if you aren’t already, taking a high quality prenatal vitamin is important. Cut out Sugar, Caffeine and anything with chemicals like diet soda (aspertame etc). Get your daily exercise in. This will increase blood flow to the ovaries.

And finally figure out how to destress. It’s the numnber one cause of fertility related issues.

And remember your body is a machine and just like your car you have to make sure the whole machine is in good working condition and don’t just focus on the wiper fluid :wink:

[quote=skisunfun]
And remember your body is a machine and just like your car you have to make sure the whole machine is in good working condition and don’t just focus on the wiper fluid ;-)[/quote]

But but but… I know how to fix the wiper fluid thingy.:smiley:

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated.

[quote=lilliflower]I have done a ton of research and have found Vitex I an excellent fertility inhancer for women over 35. It has a history of helping women for 2000+ years. It also has very little side effects and is really cheap. It diesnt work for everyone but I got my only Bfp with Fertilitea but unfortunately lost the baby at 6 weeks. After doing more research I found that discontinuing Vitex suddenly instead of weaning off if it can cause the very same progesterone it helped produce to drop. There is a herb called false unicorn root that can be taken after you get you bfp to help keep levels up during the first trimester and is safe during pregnancy. There is also natural progesterone (happy pms cream) that can be taken after 0 through the first trimester to help sustain pregnancy until the placenta takes over.

My plan this cycle (I’m in my 2ww) is if I get my BfP is to discontinue the tea and stay on Vitex through my first trimester. I also have natural progesterone suppositories left over from RE that I plan to take.

I was never diagnosed with low progesterone but now know that my hormones were off a bit. Since taking Vitex I have increased my LP and my OpK was the darkest positive I’ve ever had. I’m being proactive about this because fertility drug were really hard on me. I feel great on the Vitex! There are published controlled studies on this product especially in Germany ( yes folks Europe is decades ahead of us when it comes to medicine)

Remember this is all my research for myself I wanted to share. Be sure to do your own and decide for yourself. I wish everyone a healthy pregnancy soon![/quote]

Thanks Lilliflower!! I did some reading on it too and I am ordering it now. - Will keep you all posted on results!

Thanks for the reminders and thread

First of all, thank you for the topic. I’ve been having some ovulation problems and my acupuncturist mentioned today taking Vitex. She said to stop once you get a BFP and it takes a couple of months to kick in. DHEA is also another one recommended by my RE, also takes a couple of months to kick in. I also take Q-10 and L-Argentine and I’m on raw Chinese herbs which brews into a most disgusting tea but my acupuncturist is feeling the change in my heart beat so the tea is working.
Now for the reminders:
After my failed IVF in February I’ve been a little lax on some things. I started back on dairy and coffee. Stopped being so strict about the bee pollen and fish oil which I was taking daily. So, over the past month I’ve gotten back off of dairy and caffeine which makes the acupuncturist happy and plan to start back up with the bee pollen and fish oil tomorrow morning. Thanks for the recharge as I was suffering this week from infertility fatigue.

[quote=essemkay]I don’t really have any advice for increasing fertility, but one of the things my RE stressed to me to help with implantation – or rather to not hinder implantation – was to cut out caffeine.

I’m 42 and have been TTC for 12 years.

Good luck![/quote]

[B][SIZE=5]Essemkay - I just saw you signature!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :clap: [/SIZE][/B]

essemkay http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/images/adoption/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register(“postmenu_1107955955”, true);

I don’t really have any advice for increasing fertility, but one of the things my RE stressed to me to help with implantation – or rather to not hinder implantation – was to cut out caffeine.

I’m 42 and have been TTC for 12 years.

Good luck!

Diagnosis: unexplained
Married 20 yrs, ttc 12 yrs

IVF #1 Oct 2010 PURSUE
CD10: 8 mature follicles E2 1061
10-16: ER 6 eggs, 2 mature, 3 embryos
10-19: ET two grade 1 8-cell embryos (no frosties)
10-31: +HPT
11-03 (15dp3dt) Beta 1=806 :cheer: prog 18.1
11-05 (17dp3dt) Beta 2=1592 prog 21.6 Doubling 45.83 hrs
11-11: U/S1 HEARTBEAT!
11-23: U/S2 HR 156, meas. 8.3 weeks
11-29: OB1 & U/S3 HR 175, meas. 7.4 weeks :confused:
12-10: U/S4 HR 177, meas. 10 weeks
12-27: NT great, waiting on blood HR 164
01-03-11: blood work confusing
01-11: last RE HR 157
01-13: OB2 2 lbs up so far
01-26: early anatomy scan TEAM PINK! CRL 5in, 6 oz, HR 146
02-07: anatomy scan, PERFECT! 8oz, HR 146
02-10: OB3 AFP negative!
04-07: OB5 passed glucose test! HR 158
06-09: OB8 neg. strep test! HR 155
06-24: OB9 cervix still closed up tight
06-29: OB10 no change
07-07: OB11 ditto
07-09: due date
07-12: NST
07-14: c-section SHE’S HERE!
Ellis Brianna, born 07-14-11, 7lbs10oz, 20.2 in.

[quote=skisunfun]I’m going up to the vitamin store now to buy some. If you do not have in Canada let me know and you can pay me via paypal and I’ll mail it to you. Although I suspect Whole Foods will have it.

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/canada/[/quote]

I tried to get it here but its by prescription only. Perhaps we can talk about me buying it from you then.

I can do that for you. Where are you in Canada? Maybe you can go over the border and buy it? If not let me know and I will see what I can do for you.

fertility supplements

First, accupuncture - even “traditional” doctors recommend it now. It can increase blood flow to reproductive organs and increase overall circulation.

Second - supplements. Big yes on raspberry leaf tea, DHA (I use Nordic Naturals), prenatals (again, Nordic Naturals), vitamin D drops, calcium (I don’t eat dairy), and spirulina (just started. Am considering the bee pollen and royal jelly.

Third - my accupuenctrist discovered that I had a low thyroid (hypo) function by charting my BBT, which was crazy low. Even though blood tests put my thyroid function in “normal parameters” it was on the lower-middle class end, which was apparently not enough for me. Started taking thyroid supplement (Pure Encapsulations) and in two weeks my BBT shot up and has stayed a full degree higher; by a month my dry brittle hair became downright silky and my skin is no longer dry as a desert.

Fourth - execrise and low stress…since I broke two bone sin my foot this summer, I am having trouble on these two counts.

No success yet, but using these tools, I got my FSH down 5 points, from 13 to 8.