When and how long does methotrexate start to work?

I feel very down today. I had the metothrexate shots yesterday and have not bleed yet. How long will it take before the bleed starts? Also with this medication i cant take folic acid, well that is not gonna work, i eat a lot of veggis and fruit and it just makes me more depressed not being able to eat what i like. I am considering taking the cytotec pill and get it over with. It is supposed to be faster right than metothrexate? I dont even think I can handle the emotional roller coaster of having to go to my RE office every week. I am already having to coming in tomorrow and Monday.

The mtx shot & cytotec pills are different & serve a different purpose. Your beta levels may rise now that you’ve taken the shot. The mtx seems to do that but within a few days your levels will start to drop. It took 3.5 weeks for my hcg to reach zero. I didn’t start to bleed until 2.5 weeks after the first shot. It was very depressing to have to go in week after week for blood work but they have to monitor you very closely. I’m sorry your going through this & I hope you have a smoother course of action than I did.

It took about 1.5 weeks week for me to start to bleed and about 3 for hcg to get to zero. Of course my hcg was never as high to begin with. Also my first blood draw after the shot was still an increase before it began to drop. Very sorry for what you have to go thru. :frowning:

[QUOTE=alexi]I feel very down today. I had the metothrexate shots yesterday and have not bleed yet. How long will it take before the bleed starts? Also with this medication i cant take folic acid, well that is not gonna work, i eat a lot of veggis and fruit and it just makes me more depressed not being able to eat what i like. I am considering taking the cytotec pill and get it over with. It is supposed to be faster right than metothrexate? I dont even think I can handle the emotional roller coaster of having to go to my RE office every week. I am already having to coming in tomorrow and Monday.[/QUOTE]

It is different for every woman. In most cases, it might take a few weeks. In some cases though, like for my wife, it took about 2-3 months. Either way, I know how you feel. When you want an embryo to stick, it refuses to stick. When you want it to go away, it fights tooth and claw to stick around. It’s kind of like insult to injury, and its never easy.

Oh honey… thats so hard. Your beta will likely go up the first week to 2 weeks which will mess with your head. In my case the shot did not work and I had a ruptured ectopic. I never really bled much with the shot…

Keep in close touch with your dr. for your own health and know you will be going through a lot of emotional stuff. When you still get a positive POS weeks later… its like insult to injury. Although the weekly trips are disheartening… they are necessary so that you have good health. I am not sure about the diet issue. I was not told to change my diet.

Hugs and prayers…:grouphug:

I am really sorry you are going through this. I think it just took a few days for it to start to work on me, but my beta levels were pretty low. From what I remember, it took a few weeks to completely work.