When to POAS?

First, sorry if I’ve asked this question before on the individual threads. I never really got an answer so I’m asking everyone.

When pregnancy tests say you can POAS 6 days before a missed period, is that in reference to a typical 28 day cycle? Or is that the case for all tests and cycle lengths? Do they say that b/c most women don’t know when they ovulate? I thought it was more important to calcuate according to days after ovulation versus days before a missed period. I’m just confused b/c my RE says to test 14dpiui which does not correlate with the 6 days before missed period thing? I hope I’m making sense!

No that doesn’t make sense lol… But they told me to test 2wks past trigger shot.

LOL! I guess I’m just wanting to know the accuracy of the pregnancy tests. I don’t know if I’m testing too early. My RE says to test 14dpiui but if I did it then, it would be more that 6 days before my missed period so I’m not sure if the result would be accurate.

amywatt - I take you it normally have a long cycle? I think (and this is definitely not a sure thing) that the 6 days is before your next period is expected but that is b/c for normal cycles the POAS makers don’t know when you ovulated, so it’s their best guess. When you have a longer cycle, doesn’t it mean that you ovulate later in your cycle?

I think for medicated cycles where you know when you ovulated that the 6 days before your next AF does not apply. The POAS instructions just say 6 days before AF b/c they (and most women) don’t know when you ovulated.

What is really important is whether the embie has implanted and starting to produce HCG. I would go with what your RE said. Whether you can see a result on the test would be relative to when you ovulated (the day of the IUI).

Check out this info I got off another thread:

4dpiui …embryo is growing and developing
5dpiui… Embryo is now a blastocyst
6dpiui…Blastocyst hatches out of shell on this day
7dpiui… Blastocyst attaches to a site on the uterine lining
8dpiui… Implantation begins,as the blastocyst begins to bury in the lining
9dpiui…Implantation process continues and morula buries deeper in the lining
10dpiui… Morula is completely inmplanted in the lining and has placenta cells & fetal cells
11dpiui…Placenta cells begin to secret HCG in the blood
12dpiui…More HCG is produced as fetus develops
13dpiui…More HCG is produced as fetus develops
14dpiui…HCG levels are now high enough to be immediately detected on HPT

Good luck testing!

They say 6 days before you missed period because some girls don’t know when they ovulated. While they can give you the right result IF you have a bfp, but if you get a bfn that early it can be a false neg. I have found though, those 6 days early first response test SUCK!

Another reason RE’s say to wait til 14dpIUI is because that would me no false positives due to a trigger. You can either test your trigger out and know that its gone. So if you get a bfp you know its a true bfp. To take away the stress, its best to wait.

Goodluck

I am told 14dpiui too. I always hold off until that date because I am so freaked about a false negative. I figure that by 14dpiui I have a pretty good chance of looking at the actual results. Testing too early just causes more stress for me! :wink: This past IUI my line was super faint at14dpiui, and it probably wouldn’t have been seen before then.

The wait is hard!! :flower: